trinityamps.com

Trinity Amps Guitar Amp Forum
It is currently Wed Jul 17, 2024 7:38 am

All times are UTC - 5 hours [ DST ]

PostPosted: Tue Jul 26, 2005 8:27 am 

I am in the process of building a Spitfire- it is coming along really slowly, but that's okay. I was just wondering what speakers you guys have been using for these amps. I have a Red Fang that I think I am going to be using for it, just wondering if you guys have any comments. The Spitfire I am building is going to be a little different, I have to use a SS rectifier, cause my xfmr has no centre tap. I am using both and OP and Power xfmr from a Trace Elliot Vellocette. I will probably have to use some Zeners to drop the voltage after the rectifier, but that should be no big deal. You will probably see me lurking around this forum more and more, as I get things moving along.

PostPosted: Tue Jul 26, 2005 9:11 am 
Novice
Novice

joeypazz wrote:
I am in the process of building a Spitfire- it is coming along really slowly, but that's okay. I was just wondering what speakers you guys have been using for these amps. I have a Red Fang that I think I am going to be using for it, just wondering if you guys have any comments. The Spitfire I am building is going to be a little different, I have to use a SS rectifier, cause my xfmr has no centre tap. I am using both and OP and Power xfmr from a Trace Elliot Vellocette. I will probably have to use some Zeners to drop the voltage after the rectifier, but that should be no big deal. You will probably see me lurking around this forum more and more, as I get things moving along.

Joey;

Whats the Secondary Voltage on the PT? I use a SS Recto on my Thunderbolt 9 Spitfire/18 Watt Hybrid Amps.

CR ><>

http://www.geocities.com/woodcrossamps/

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Jul 26, 2005 2:11 pm 
Friend
Friend

Maccabee, what part of your Thunderbolt is hybridized with the 18 watt? Preamp? or PI? It sounds interesting though.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Jul 27, 2005 3:34 pm 

I don't have the voltages or specs in front of me... but I believe they are pretty close to the transformer that the spitfire uses. I believe the secondary side is about 300V, which I believe is similar to the Spitfire's. The Velocette and the Spitfire are pretty similar amps- the Spitfire being much more simplistic. I have used a variac to check the voltages, and they seem like they will not be too high. I can use a couple of power resistors to drop it down if I need to. How does your amp sound with the SS rect? Maybe you can give me some advice.

oooh, here is the schematic for the Velocette, maybe you can give me some ideas........

http://www.britishaudioservice.com/schem/Velocette.pdf

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Jul 27, 2005 7:21 pm 
Novice
Novice

Twangmaster wrote:
Maccabee, what part of your Thunderbolt is hybridized with the 18 watt? Preamp? or PI? It sounds interesting though.

Twangmaster. Switchable 1.2K and 470 Ohm Shared Cathode on the PI. 18Watt OT is standard but I voice the amount of Distortion within the design parameters to the customer's taste. The amp has a bit more clean headroom than a standard Spitfire but Smoother distortion reminicent of the Plexi. The SS Recto and a couple of other things helps it get there. A pure 18 Watt PI gives it that 18 Watt Buzzy Grind but not quite as much.

CR ><>

http://www.geocities.com/woodcrossamps/

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sat Jul 30, 2005 3:16 am 
Friend
Friend

I'm planning a build based around the transformers from a Velocette myself. I was going to try the Kevin O'Connor power scaling thing so I can tweak B+ to my heart's content. I have the power scaling kit, but haven't had a chance to start putting it together yet.

Cheers,
Rick.