trinityamps.com

Trinity Amps Guitar Amp Forum
It is currently Tue Jul 16, 2024 11:32 pm

All times are UTC - 5 hours [ DST ]

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Mar 12, 2010 4:24 pm 
Friend
Friend

146.4 steven. i cant believe im the only one using a 150 and still 13 watts. what is the usual watts with the 120 ohm cathode resistor?

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Mar 22, 2010 1:21 am 
Friend
Friend

what should i have at pin 2? i got -.020v.

PostPosted: Tue Apr 13, 2010 9:37 pm 
Friend
Friend

i just got around to replacing the 150 cathode resistor with a 180 ohm, also put in a 1k for the screen resistor. that got the amp down to 12 watts. now its normal but i would still like to be lower. im probably going to go with a 250 ohm cathode resistor, that should get me down to around 10 watts. or should i stay at 12 like the rest of the world?

PostPosted: Wed Apr 14, 2010 6:35 pm 
Expert
Expert

How does the amp sound to you? That's important too. Bear in mind that with a cathode-biased Class AB amp, as the amp works harder and more current starts to pass through the power tubes, the bias voltage rises, automatically biasing the tubes colder. So it tends to self-compensate. Also as you go to larger cathode resistor values, the power tubes are getting biased colder at idle, which means that when the amp's working harder, including on transient peaks, it's possible for the power tubes to starve, which will make for some rough sounding distortion. It will also make the amp more likely to suffer from the infamous 18W buzz problem, described and analysed by Paul Ruby. Very large power tube cathode caps (1000uF to 2200uF) can help prevent that, or in worse cases, Paul Ruby's fix using zener diodes.

PostPosted: Wed Apr 14, 2010 7:22 pm 
Holy Ghost
Holy Ghost

+1

IMO - Stay at 12. I've never used 180 in this amp and originally used 125 FWIW. Now using 150

PostPosted: Wed Apr 14, 2010 8:31 pm 
Friend
Friend

the amp sounds pretty good. the clean is like a fender deluxe. ive only been playing it in my bedroom so i havnt really openned the amp up. its very loud, doesnt hum as much as with the 150 ohm cathode resistor. the gain doesnt seem to have much range at low volumes but im sure if i play in a larger room it will screem. the first channel is very cool, now i know what the 18 watt lite is all about.