trinityamps.com

Trinity Amps Guitar Amp Forum
It is currently Mon Jul 22, 2024 12:29 pm

All times are UTC - 5 hours [ DST ]

PostPosted: Tue Mar 16, 2010 5:51 am 
Novice
Novice

Has anyone here experimented with making their own home Matchless style light boxes and in particular their own custom plexi logo on the front of the light box? I have the correct thickness plexiglass and wonder if i could print onto paper or acetate and have that behind the plexi. I have a real Matchless cabinet here to examine and that is a two part printing process, which is too expensive for me to go and get done for a one off, even if i could actually find someone in UK who would entertain that. So i just wonder if others have experimented with this and come up with satisfactory home computer made results.

CONSIDERATIONS.
1. If, say, i printed onto clear OHP acetate material and printed a black background and clear lettering, what type of white paint could be used to paint over the lettering after the ink had dried thus allowing the light to shine outwards, but not see the lamps inside.

2. Another option might be to print the letters out on my Mac, cut them out with a craft knife, stick them in place on the plexi, spray over with a black paint which won't melt plexi (?), peel the letters off when dry, paint the clear letters area with white/opaque paint.

I think i could do these, but i'm asking in case others have a more intelligent method. I'd appreciate any suggestions. I'd like to use the same method to create a plexi panel for the back of my TC-15 as well.

Thanks

Tom

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Mar 16, 2010 3:22 pm 
Holy Ghost
Holy Ghost

I'd probably try to get a 'translucent plexi (or white), then laser print on a clear plastic, with adhesive backing, and attache that on the plexi. If you did it from behind, the surface would be smooth.

There is this transfer stuff that kurtlives uses ...

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Mar 16, 2010 9:04 pm 
Expert
Expert

That's what I would have recommended also. I've been thinking about that for a scratch-build in fact...if I ever get around to it.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Mar 17, 2010 4:29 am 
Novice
Novice

Who/what is the Kurtlives reference?

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Mar 17, 2010 4:31 am 
Novice
Novice

Ok, i see, a forum member.