trinityamps.com

Trinity Amps Guitar Amp Forum
It is currently Wed Jul 17, 2024 6:29 am

All times are UTC - 5 hours [ DST ]

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 240 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 8, 9, 10, 11, 12
PostPosted: Mon Feb 02, 2009 7:39 pm 
Expert
Expert

Oops!

THIS POST LEFT INTENTIONALLY BLANK

Last edited by zaphod on Mon Feb 02, 2009 10:49 pm, edited 2 times in total.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Feb 02, 2009 7:49 pm 
Expert
Expert

amp boy wrote:
Hey folks,

Check out this clip i found today.
If anyone here could tell me what is going on here......technical you know.
I don't know much, but honestly......my lord that is English ROCK !!!!!
What a tone......i mean holly molly this is frigg'n wild.

http://ca.youtube.com/watch?v=3JVGjonKA ... re=channel

ohhhh there's another one by him...

http://ca.youtube.com/watch?v=Bf4u9yq_X ... re=channel
soul.

200W - what a monster!!! We can do the same gain level as he's got and more. The SAP and Jimmy Page models have the same number of preamp stages as a regular Hiwatt DR. Just they have a bypass cap at the cathode of the stage in front of the tone controls, to give that stage some more gain than in the regular version. The Triwatt has an extra gain stage, like the OL and Lead models, which you can engage on the pull pot.

In the second clip I'm hearing more the tone of his "bunch of pedals". It's a pity he doesn't explain more which ones he's using, although there's demos of a couple of his home-built ones in his other YouTube clips. So that may help give some clues.
coco wrote:
A posibility we are working on. That part of the circuit is very sensitive so it will take some work, but in the plan.

Yes, it's in the plans, once we get the regular model all tied down and in production. I should however point out that the Triwatt is extremely touch sensitive. Even with the boost stage engaged, all you have to do is roll back the volume to get some real sparkly clean tones, which can sound almost like you're playing an acoustic guitar.
bgroup wrote:
We'll have to try bass next time I have it... didn't do that yet...

Especially with the KT66s in. At 30+ watts it won't be a real loud bass amp, but it will sound pretty good for practice. BTW, as a comparison, I've been using my 12W P1 eXtreme SE amp for bass recently, for practices in my basement, and it holds up amazingly well over the drum set. Something I never expected.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Feb 02, 2009 8:57 pm 
Expert
Expert

Love the tones in those clips! Interesting that he used Greenbacks. I've wanted to try them in my 2x12 but the spare change will be going into a Triwatt for the moment. It's gonna happen though. I do like the V30's I have in it now, but I'd really like something less intense.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Feb 03, 2009 1:44 am 
Experienced
Experienced

Emohawk, you're going to want to save a little extra for those Greenbacks... they sound REALLY good with the Triwatt... :)

www.slyfichapel.com

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Feb 03, 2009 1:47 am 
Experienced
Experienced

zaphod wrote:
At 30+ watts it won't be a real loud bass amp, but it will sound pretty good for practice.

And AMAZING for recording... 8) :D

www.slyfichapel.com

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Feb 03, 2009 1:08 pm 
Expert
Expert

bgroup wrote:
Emohawk, you're going to want to save a little extra for those Greenbacks... they sound REALLY good with the Triwatt... :)

I don't doubt it for a second. I imagine they'd kick butt with my 2204/JMP hybrid too. I'd love to have a 4x12 with Greenbacks. If I hadn't had a major appliance meltdown a week or so ago maybe I could swing it! :)

And I love the bass amp possibilities with KT66's, BTW. I've been thinking of re-building and old Yamaha bass amp I have kicking around (in an Oscar Goldman sort of way...we have the technology...we can make him stronger), but if this will do the trick for jamming in the basement with a drum kit I may not bother - for now at least.

Post subject: Favorite Hiwatt Tones
PostPosted: Tue Feb 03, 2009 11:35 pm 
Experienced
Experienced

Since a lot a people are posting links to clips of there favorite Hiwatt Tones, here is one of mine:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=zkMPPAi4G28

Gilmour Live - Take a Breath

There is a Hiwatt Combo hiding back there somewhere.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Feb 05, 2009 11:24 am 
Experienced
Experienced

I'll be posting clips of my favourite Hiwatt tones once I get the Triwatt back with the new PT... ;) :lol:

www.slyfichapel.com

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Feb 05, 2009 10:09 pm 
Novice
Novice

Here's one way to footswitch the OL circuit in and out. Replace the 47k on pin 7 of V2 with a 39k and 4.7k (just cause they're easy to get). Put the 4.7k on top and the 39k on the bottom. Switch the tail of the 4.7k to ground. Replace the 220k master volume with a pair of 470k pots and switch between the wipers for more volume control in each mode.

Of course you might need to change the ratio between the two resistors replacing the 47k for the optimal "non-OL" mode. But this would be easy and should eliminate popping. Optos or relays would work well for this.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Feb 06, 2009 10:33 am 
Expert
Expert

We happen to be using the other version of Hiwatt's OL circuit, which has the 500k Overdrive pot (note my avatar :) ) between it and the following stage - www.mhuss.com/Hiwatt/Schematics/DR_LEAD_2InputPre.gif In practice we found the Overdrive was a huge benefit in shaping the amp's tones. We also found it was real easy to switch this stage in and out, with virtually no noise. The way we do it is to switch the grid of the following stage (pin 2) either to the pot wiper (OL ON), or to the grid of the OL stage (pin 7), so that it's no longer in the signal chain (OL OFF). BTW I've also placed a 100k blocking resistor permanently on grid pin 2 to eliminate any grid rectification problems. See www.vintagehiwattconvention.com/forum/v ... ?f=2&t=190 (which BTW refers to your preamp) for some background. The Triwatt's schematics and layouts will be published on this site once we've got all the details completely locked down.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Feb 06, 2009 12:00 pm 
Novice
Novice

Oh, it's th wrong version! My bad. Of course, I like your solution (see the SIII-One!). I was trying to do the least damage to the version I was referring to, but it's all good.

I really like the Hiwatt output stage for it's toughness, even when clean. That's not to say I prefer it to my normally more Marshall style EL34 output stage, but it is cool. I'll be interested in the schematics for the TRIWATT. It sounds like a cool amp.

PostPosted: Fri Feb 06, 2009 1:42 pm 
Experienced
Experienced

Has the bias pot arrangement been work out yet? I have heard arguements for both dual and single. On the pic of the prototype board I saw a single bias pot, will that be the norm?

A friend who used to work for Line6, but spent most of his time there testing (screwing around with) old tube amps likes the dual pot method, so as the tubes age, and start to drift, it is still possible to match them.

I have also heard than as long as you get good tubes (such as JJ's) that are decently matched they probably will not drift that far out, and you most likely screw up the matching more because of the dual pots.

Thanks

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Feb 06, 2009 2:21 pm 
Expert
Expert

As some folks know I am somewhat of a skeptic regarding the use of closely-matched power tubes in a guitar amp. For hi-fi, it's a different story of course. Matched tubes weren't used in the good old days our favourite vintage amps were built. They just pulled the next two tubes out of the box and plugged them in. Furthermore, a degree of imbalance in the PI and power amp helps allow some even order harmonics to be produced, giving that classic tube sweetness to the tone. I've read in a few places, although I have no idea how true it may be, that the fad for using matched power amp tubes in guitar amps was something started by Groove Tubes as a way for GT to make more money.

So we're only using a single bias pot. And in our bench and studio tests, we haven't been using matched pairs of 6V6s or KT66s either. They were always a few mA out in every case, and the discrepancy also varied with B+ voltage. So far there haven't been a lot of complaints about the tone. :D

rjgtr wrote:
I really like the Hiwatt output stage for it's toughness, even when clean. That's not to say I prefer it to my normally more Marshall style EL34 output stage, but it is cool. I'll be interested in the schematics for the TRIWATT. It sounds like a cool amp.

The TRIWATT uses the early 70s style preamp, with the CF and 12AT7 PI tube.We found the tone got tougher (and louder) when we swapped out the 12AT7 for a 12AX7. Looking at the various Hiwatt BBS's there seem to be fans of the mellower early 70s 12AT7 tone, as well as the late 70s/early80s 12AX7 tone.

On the subject of the Hiwatt vs Marshall power amps, earlier in this thread I was asking Tripower455, who you may remember from 18watt.com, about his Jimmy Page DR clone, coincidentally also named "Triwatt". :)

Tripower455 wrote:
I call it the Triwatt JP504! It's a Jimmy Page/SAP preamp mated to a DR504 power section, with a switchable choke. .... It sounds awesome... With the choke engaged, it'll do the Marshally thing, and with the 100R, it does the 2 hole Hiwatt thing. I prefer it this way. Oh, and unlike most Hiwatt inspired amps, it sounds best with Celestions!
zaphod wrote:
I've been looking for some time for someone who could do a direct comparison of the Hiwatt tone with and without a choke. So you say it sounds more Marshally with the choke in - meaning like... does it break up sooner... have more grind... or....??? Is it more/less punchy with the choke? I'd love to know.
Tripower455 wrote:
It breaks up a little sooner and has a noticeably softer attack. It is overall a much looser feel than the using the 100R resistor. I like it, but it really isn't my cup of tea for everything or my style of playing. I prefer the tighter, punchier Hiwatt type output section. It's neat to have both!

So it appears that the choke is a major factor in the difference between the feel of the Hiwatt and Marshall power amps. Without the choke, then those huge filter caps make the power amp real stiff.

Our TRIWATT's power stage is virtually identical to the stock Hiwatt's, except the 100 ohm power supply ballast resistor has been changed to a 2k5, in order to get the screen voltage down to a safer level for the 6V6s. Generally, I've stayed very, very close to the way Hiwatt did things.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sun Feb 08, 2009 6:29 pm 
Friend
Friend

Rob,

I'm digg'n that link you put up....."breath" = Gilmour !!!
It's got a warm bass hit to go with the drums.....and the top end of a wave roll over of Gilmours playing is CRANKING !!!!
The best part is Paul's bob'n around while watching.......cooool.

: )

PostPosted: Tue Feb 10, 2009 12:46 am 
Experienced
Experienced

Amp Boy:

I like Gilmour Tone with the Hiwatt Combo in that clip than the other clips I have heard with his full rig. It's a little rawer!

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Feb 17, 2009 7:02 pm 
Novice
Novice

zaphod wrote:
On the subject of the Hiwatt vs Marshall power amps, earlier in this thread I was asking Tripower455, who you may remember from 18watt.com, about his Jimmy Page DR clone, coincidentally also named "Triwatt". :)

So it appears that the choke is a major factor in the difference between the feel of the Hiwatt and Marshall power amps. Without the choke, then those huge filter caps make the power amp real stiff.

I've also built 18 and 20 watt amps with and without a choke and noticed a difference too. I actually like the 18/20watt output stage without the choke, because it makes it punchier. I've also seen a couple Peavey higher powered amps with just a resistor and no choke (maybe a Mace?) and noticed the stiffer output stage.

I honestly think the tonestack and PI arrangement on the Hiwatt contribute the most to the difference. I think a plexi preamp and PI without the choke would still sound pretty Marshally. Look at the 18watt. It's pretty Mashally. So is the Plexi 6V6. Yet the Marwatt preamp (or the CP103 style preamp I used) on an 18watt ouput stage definitely say HIWATT!

So I think it's more than just the choke.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Mar 13, 2009 4:43 pm 
Holy Ghost
Holy Ghost

Link to Final spec and Design note added to first post.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Mar 13, 2009 6:42 pm 
Experienced
Experienced

so.... 14 sleeps till "Christmas in March"! :)

Now things get exciting!

AJC

Post subject: Re:
PostPosted: Wed Apr 14, 2010 4:21 pm 
Experienced
Experienced

coco wrote:
OK, so here's the scoop so far. Yes, Phil Rowley & I have hooked up in Toronto and are jointly working on this amp. You might recognize the Zaphod Phil nickname.

Here are some Key points about our design intention for this amp:

:arrow: Option for Jimmy Page/SAP preamp mod, giving increased gain in traditional Hiwatt mode

Final specs here: Custom TRIWATT Lead

I know I quoted an ancient "intention" post, but did the highlighted Jimmy Page bit make it into the final design?

Post subject: Re: TRIWATT
PostPosted: Fri Apr 16, 2010 11:44 am 
Expert
Expert

We didn't go with that idea in the end, as it wasn't really needed. However, the tweakers notes show how to do the Jimmy Page/SAP thing as a mod for anyone who really wants that. Here's a thread which sheds more light on the subject - viewtopic.php?f=14&t=1823

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 240 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 8, 9, 10, 11, 12