trinityamps.com

Trinity Amps Guitar Amp Forum
It is currently Wed Jul 17, 2024 4:19 am

All times are UTC - 5 hours [ DST ]

PostPosted: Mon Apr 26, 2010 9:35 am 
Holy Ghost
Holy Ghost

Cool. Going to give these a listen now.

You can plug the tramp into a external 8 ohm cabinet if you want.

PostPosted: Mon Apr 26, 2010 2:47 pm 
Expert
Expert

I gave these a quick spin last night after the Vancouver game (OK - this morning after the Vancouver game!). They all sound nice, but the overdriven clips were especially interesting. Maybe it was just my computer speakers deceiving me, but those sounded a lot like an overdriven tweed Bassman/JTM45. Dark, warm & creamy. The Tramp intrigues me more every day...

PostPosted: Mon Apr 26, 2010 6:18 pm 
Expert
Expert

Emohawk wrote:
Maybe it was just my computer speakers deceiving me, but those sounded a lot like an overdriven tweed Bassman/JTM45...

Or maybe it was the 6L6 in the power amp....

PostPosted: Mon Apr 26, 2010 8:45 pm 
Expert
Expert

No doubt. :) I just wanted to point it out because I didn't hear quite that character in the other clips. I'm now very curious about a KT-66 in there. :hmmm:

PostPosted: Mon Apr 26, 2010 9:04 pm 
Holy Ghost
Holy Ghost

coco wrote:

Well I just rewound and it's hard to tell that's the same amp on those clips. Velvety clean, tender touch to downright dirty. Very cool playing and captured nicely to. No pedals - right?!

Thanks to Percy and his awesome playing, now I can really see how it could be used on an entire album.

PostPosted: Mon Apr 26, 2010 11:06 pm 
Expert
Expert

coco wrote:
No pedals - right?!

According to what brent says here, there's at least a Holy Grail reverb, as well as maybe "some other fun fx".... :) But I guess the clean/dirty tones are all from the amp itself.

bgroup wrote:
Guitar goes into a DI which goes directly to hard disk to leave us the option of "reamping" if necessary, then into an A/B box. One line from the A/B box goes into a Holy Grail reverb (and sometimes some other fun fx) and then into the "dry" amp. The other line goes into Percy's Boss ME-50 pedal effect unit and then a stereo out from the ME-50 goes into 2 amps for stereo "effects"...

PostPosted: Tue Apr 27, 2010 1:29 am 
Experienced
Experienced

coco wrote:
You can plug the tramp into a external 8 ohm cabinet if you want.

We did today - my vintage Fender 212 with CL80's - and WOW did it ever sound incredible... ;) And yeah, spent most of the day in the Tramp again... :)

www.slyfichapel.com

PostPosted: Tue Apr 27, 2010 1:35 am 
Experienced
Experienced

Emohawk wrote:
I gave these a quick spin last night after the Vancouver game (OK - this morning after the Vancouver game!). They all sound nice, but the overdriven clips were especially interesting. Maybe it was just my computer speakers deceiving me, but those sounded a lot like an overdriven tweed Bassman/JTM45. Dark, warm & creamy. The Tramp intrigues me more every day...

Your speakers are not deceiving you, it definitely has that quality - "Dark, warm and creamy" is a perfect characterization. And it's surprisingly BIG considering how small and simple the amp is, especially through the 212 cab... and I concur - everyday I use the Tramp I'm more intrigued - after 3 straight session days with it, I'm starting to really hear the detail inside the tone... the detail in the tone this amp produces is really astounding..

www.slyfichapel.com

PostPosted: Tue Apr 27, 2010 1:46 am 
Experienced
Experienced

Emohawk wrote:
No doubt. :) I just wanted to point it out because I didn't hear quite that character in the other clips. I'm now very curious about a KT-66 in there. :hmmm:

In all fairness, comparing the old clips with these isn't apples to apples... Percy's clips have a little bit of the stereo effects channels (run into 2 amps - TC15/Trinity 212 with TTA's, Fender Blues Dlxe) and the heavily compressed stereo room. There's also 2 mics (Shure SM57 and an Audix i5) on the Tramp and these are also hitting the compressors a little bit... and then there was my <ahem> over-compression of the stereo whole... the clips were a single 57 on the amp... so there's a lot more "production" in Percy's clips which would account for some of the size...

Having said that, including the room mics actually makes Percy's clips sound closer to what you would likely hear in the room if you were playing, so even though they're more produced they're also probably more representative of what it sounds like as a player standing 6 feet away from the amp. However, I agree that the 6L6 is accounting for some of that as well - it definitely has more size than it did with a 6V6. KT66 would be interesting, but to be honest the 6L6 is so satisfying, I'm not sure I'd bother!! ;)

www.slyfichapel.com

PostPosted: Tue Apr 27, 2010 2:01 am 
Experienced
Experienced

coco wrote:
coco wrote:

Well I just rewound and it's hard to tell that's the same amp on those clips. Velvety clean, tender touch to downright dirty. Very cool playing and captured nicely to. No pedals - right?!

Thanks to Percy and his awesome playing, now I can really see how it could be used on an entire album.

Stephen the range on this thing is ASTONISHING. All of your amps have an incredible amount of range, but I think the most remarkable thing about this one is that almost every area of the amp's tone is a SWEET SPOT. You're going to have to do a bass amp next, 'cause I don't know how you'll follow this one up!! Between the TC-15, the Triwatt, and the Tramp (my personal top 3!) the bar has been set VERY high...

It would be EASY to make an entire record with the Tramp...

Yes, there were some pedals... we always had the Holy Grail directly into the Tramp, but on one or two of the clips (#5 and #7 I think), I also had my D.O.A.R.K. distortion pedal in line - the D.O.A.R.K. is a pedal that was made for me by Dean Batute, the analog synth repair guru in Toronto. It's basically his own "analog" distortion circuit that incorporates some Moog type filter controls - it's a pretty wacky, but amazingly inspiring pedal, that sounds like nothing else. Having said that we were using it moreso for it's filter capabilities rather than it's outright distortion capabilities. Clip 9 obviously has a wah pedal inline as well (cry baby if anyone's interested). Percy also had his Boss ME-50 pedal board plugged into the 2 stereo effects amps, so that's in there a little bit as well - he primarily uses the ME50 for compression, a little reverb, delay and for effected volume swells behind the "dry" tone. But the bottom line is most of what you're hearing is the Tramp. FWIW, the Hendrix-y clip that's first and the third clip is ALL amp... :)

Anyway, all of Percy's basic tracking is done. Thanks to the Tramp for being a big part of the sound of the record! He'll be back in a couple of weeks to do some editing, maybe play an overdub or two, and then we'll mix... We'll post some finished stuff here when we get there...

I'm supposed to have a couple of other play sessions this week, so hopefully I'll have some more clips for you to hear...

www.slyfichapel.com

PostPosted: Thu Apr 29, 2010 1:13 am 
Experienced
Experienced

So, an amazing local player named Matt Smith came by tonight to check out the Tramp. I met Matt at a cool little club in Picton, ON called The Acoustic Grill (http://www.theacousticgrill.com). That night Matt was playing, and I was doing live sound and recording the show - awesome night! Anyway, this guy can really play...

Matt had never played my Weissenborn before so we almost didn't get past him checking that out... LOL! And then there was his Santa Cruz acoustic... oh man, probably the MOST amazing acoustic I've EVER encountered... but we're here to talk amps aren't we?!?! hahaha

Anyway, he played three different guitars - his Les Paul Standard from the 80's, my P-90 doublecut LP, and my PRS Hollowbody I. Matt didn't say much most of the night, he was pretty engrossed in the tones and his playing, but the one thing he did say several times was "Wow, GREAT tone"! He also indicated that the Tramp, especially for the price made the idea of buying one of the expensive boutique amps he's been considering obselete...

I have clips, I'll post them sometime in the next couple of days, but for those interested, we plugged the guitar into his pedalboard - Ernie Ball Volume pedal - 80's TS9 Tube Screamer - 80's ProCo Rat - Malekko Analog Delay - Marshall Tremolo - Digitech Digiverb and then into the Tramp. Sounded AWESOME.

Interestingly we didn't mess with the amp a whole lot. Matt was able to do a lot tone shaping with the guitar itself and his pedalboard. We spent about half the time in Tweed and half in Tude. What was really striking tonight was the contrast between the two modes - Tweed is SO smooth and warm and full of soul. Tude glows with all of its harmonic content and grinds when the guitar gets wound up. Tonight I really heard the Fender heritage of the design (maybe because Matt's a real rootsy player), but was also very aware of how much cooler and more versatile this amp is than any Fender I've encountered. What a privilege to have such complimentary contrasting modes with so much range in one amp! Every day I spend with this thing I fall in love a little bit more... :) Also should note that we were able to switch back and forth from Tweed to Tude without having to mess with the treble/bass - the tones just worked without having to move a knob... so good news for those that dream of switching between Tweed/Tude on a gig - you'll be able to set it and forget it!

Anyway, after a fair amount of time just using it as a combo, we plugged into my Fender 212 (CL80s) - awesome just like it was on Percy's session. Then after that, Matt wanted to hear the 10 from the combo with a 212 going at the same time. The production model will have a speaker out so this'll be possible, but with the prototype the only way to do it was to run into my Trinity 212 with TTA's and then from that cab into the 10. Bit of an impedance mismatch but we were OK... in any case - THIS is the way to use this amp! HOLY CRAP!! The 10 with the 212's was AWESOME, and would be the PERFECT gigging rig IMO...

Clips to come, and Rob's supposed to stop in tomorrow so there'll be more!!

www.slyfichapel.com

PostPosted: Fri Apr 30, 2010 1:26 am 
Experienced
Experienced

I've bounced Matt's clips so I'll grab a few sections and post soon, but in the meantime...

Rob stopped by tonight to hear the Tramp for the second time. He remarked at how different the new and improved version is. I think it's fair to say that he LOVED it! :) He agreed that 'Tude is totally worked out now and amazing...

He played a really nice set of clips too that I'm bouncing right now. I think these will be very representative of how the amp really sounds - I recorded the room with them!

Anyway, at Stephen's request we also spent some time comparing the Tramp through different speakers - the Jensen Blackbird 10 that's in there now, 10" Tone Tubby Ceramics that are in my 410, 12" Tone Tubby Alnicos that are in my red Trinity 212, and of course my vintage Fender 212 that I had set up from Percy's session that has Celestion Classic Lead 80's... it was interesting...

The Jensen is REALLY nice, and seems perhaps the most responsive to the amp of any of the speakers. Tweed sounds great, Tude sounds great, clean or gained up, with the VRM up or down, the Blackbird handles it all and compliments whatever's going on tonally. Creamy tones seem to sink into the speaker, dirty tones sound punchy. Very versatile and still my #1 choice for the speaker I'll put in my Tramp...

The 10" TTC's were cool also, but were overall cooler with Tude, than with Tweed. When we pushed the gain, the speaker seemed to "push back", that is there was a stiffness to them tonally that gave the dirty tones an authoritative, strident quality that was pretty cool. Nice when we dialed back Tude to be cleaner, but not necessarily nicer than the Jensens here. In Tweed mode, the TTC's seemed a bit stiff especially in the mid-gain ranges. The creaminess of Tweed had nothing to "sink into" with these speakers. At the really clean end of the spectrum in Tweed though, the TTC's were really nice - cleans were represented in a very solid hi-fi way... What was interesting for me is with these speakers, I definitely preferred to have the power level and master volume cranked. For some reason when I backed off on those controls the tone seemed to go a bit south with these speakers... So as far as the 10's go, Rob and I both preferred the Jensen, unless you were someone that was going to live in Tude all the time in which case the TTC's might be the better choice...

The Fender 212 cab is just simply amazing with the Tramp! Rob actually couldn't believe I have CL80's in there - the tone was so deep, and liquid... to be honest though any speaker I've had in this cab sounded that way so I think it has more to do with the cab than the actual speaker! Anyway, this is the best sound for the Tramp PERIOD - both Rob and I agreed. Unbelievably good. And regardless of where any of the controls were, it sounded fantastic! I need a couple more of these cabs with different speakers in them, or I need to convince Stephen to start building replicas!!! <wink, wink, nudge, nudge> :lol: I think those of you that end up with a Tramp will definitely want a 212 to pair with it - I'm holding out for the Trinity/Fender replica with two 12" Jensen Blackbirds!! I can imagine that'll sound RIDICULOUS... :mrgreen:

The 12" TTA's in my Trinity cab were pretty interesting too. I don't think they'd be my first choice for everything but they were spectacular for some things. They were a little stiff and hi-fi like the TTC's but less so. There was significantly more prickly top end with the TTA's compared to everything else. And FWIW, with these speakers I preferred them when the power level was turned down a bit - a little sag seemed to warm these speakers up a bit. As soon as he heard these speakers, Rob was inspired to grab a Tele and play in that modern Nashville style a la Brad Paisley. Actually the Tramp with TTA's NAILED that tone. It was pretty cool. But once again when you wanted the tone to sink into the speakers, these weren't providing it. I'd imagine though that there are some of you out there in Trinity-land that will LOVE these speakers with the Tramp...

One other thing that came up... during Percy's session we were using a fair amount of reverb and I realized it was a pretty important part of the tones. Tonight I had my Boss "Fender FRV-1" pedal in line - this pedal models the classic '63 Fender Spring Reverb - and after turning it on and off a bit, Rob remarked (unprompted by me!) how he thought the reverb really added to the sound of the Tramp... so those of you that are planning to have the Tramp might want to look into a reverb pedal if you don't already have one!! FWIW, my EHX Holy Grail and my Boss FRV-1 are both incredible pedals... and even Matt's Digitech Digiverb sounded pretty good... of course if you've got $$ to burn you could always track down a vintage Fender Spring Reverb that the FRV-1 is modeled after!!! :o

Clips to come...

www.slyfichapel.com

PostPosted: Fri Apr 30, 2010 10:37 am 
Experienced
Experienced

OK, so here are some excerpts with Matt playing through the Tramp. SM57 with stereo room. They're very informal, Matt was just musing with the guitar... you'll hear me change the amp from time to time - switching form Tweed to Tude, or you'll hear Matt clicking pedals on and off. As I mentioned before, Matt had his pedalboard in line the whole time and was trying various combinations of all the flavours he has there. I like the darkness of some of the clips here, and I LOVE the slide stuff! Enjoy!

http://www.trinityamps.com/publictrinit ... TRAMP1.mp3
http://www.trinityamps.com/publictrinit ... TRAMP2.mp3
http://www.trinityamps.com/publictrinit ... TRAMP3.mp3
http://www.trinityamps.com/publictrinit ... TRAMP4.mp3
http://www.trinityamps.com/publictrinit ... TRAMP5.mp3
http://www.trinityamps.com/publictrinit ... TRAMP6.mp3
http://www.trinityamps.com/publictrinit ... TRAMP7.mp3
http://www.trinityamps.com/publictrinit ... TRAMP8.mp3
http://www.trinityamps.com/publictrinit ... TRAMP9.mp3
http://www.trinityamps.com/publictrinit ... RAMP10.mp3
http://www.trinityamps.com/publictrinit ... RAMP11.mp3
http://www.trinityamps.com/publictrinit ... RAMP12.mp3
http://www.trinityamps.com/publictrinit ... RAMP13.mp3
http://www.trinityamps.com/publictrinit ... RAMP14.mp3
http://www.trinityamps.com/publictrinit ... RAMP15.mp3

And BTW, I think the last two clips here we had the "Juice Boost" Rangemaster boost that Phil built for me...

www.slyfichapel.com

Last edited by bgroup on Fri Apr 30, 2010 12:36 pm, edited 2 times in total.

PostPosted: Fri Apr 30, 2010 11:53 am 
Experienced
Experienced

Rob clips!! The vast majority of these were recorded using my PRS Hollowbody 1 guitar. There are a couple that used other guitars as they are indicated in the name. You can also tell the cab by the clip name. And a few we experimented with a "Juice Boost" pedal that Phil made for me - it's Phil's version of the 60's Rangemaster boost... AWESOME pedal. As I also mentioned we had my Boss Fender FRV-1 reverb pedal in line for the whole session. But for the most part what you're hearing here is the Tramp captured with an SM57 and Beta57 with stereo room mics. Tweed mode is here, but there was heavy emphasis on Tude mode... enjoy!

http://www.trinityamps.com/publictrinit ... ensen1.mp3
http://www.trinityamps.com/publictrinit ... ensen2.mp3
http://www.trinityamps.com/publictrinit ... ensen3.mp3
http://www.trinityamps.com/publictrinit ... ensen4.mp3
http://www.trinityamps.com/publictrinit ... ensen5.mp3
http://www.trinityamps.com/publictrinit ... ensen6.mp3
http://www.trinityamps.com/publictrinit ... b_TTC1.mp3
http://www.trinityamps.com/publictrinit ... b_TTC2.mp3
http://www.trinityamps.com/publictrinit ... b_TTC3.mp3
http://www.trinityamps.com/publictrinit ... b_TTC4.mp3
http://www.trinityamps.com/publictrinit ... eBoost.mp3
http://www.trinityamps.com/publictrinit ... ender4.mp3
http://www.trinityamps.com/publictrinit ... _robLP.mp3
http://www.trinityamps.com/publictrinit ... washLP.mp3
http://www.trinityamps.com/publictrinit ... er6_SG.mp3
http://www.trinityamps.com/publictrinit ... b_TTA1.mp3
http://www.trinityamps.com/publictrinit ... b_TTA2.mp3
http://www.trinityamps.com/publictrinit ... b_TTA3.mp3
http://www.trinityamps.com/publictrinit ... b_TTA4.mp3
http://www.trinityamps.com/publictrinit ... b_TTA5.mp3
http://www.trinityamps.com/publictrinit ... b_TTA6.mp3
http://www.trinityamps.com/publictrinit ... 7_Tele.mp3
http://www.trinityamps.com/publictrinit ... _robLP.mp3

OK, I think I'm all clipped out!!! :shock: But I'm thinking y'all have at least some idea of how the Tramp sounds at this point!!!! :D

www.slyfichapel.com

PostPosted: Fri Apr 30, 2010 1:01 pm 
Expert
Expert

Jeez Brent...way to bury us in clips! Awesome! :D

I've only given them a cursory listen through my POS earbuds, but I really like the warm clean in Matt10, and I like the OD in Matt11-13.

I'll give them all a good listen through my nice gear when I get home tonight.

PostPosted: Fri Apr 30, 2010 1:08 pm 
Experienced
Experienced

Emohawk wrote:
Jeez Brent...way to bury us in clips! Awesome! :D

I did my best!! :twisted: Matt's clips are cool and very different because so much of his tone is in his hands and the way he manipulates the guitar. His pedal board is very much a part of his sound too... Check him out here:

http://www.smithpickins.com/

www.slyfichapel.com

PostPosted: Fri Apr 30, 2010 2:09 pm 
Experienced
Experienced

Brent, DUDE!!!
As a special thanks we're all chipping in and buying you a pound of decaf :shock: :shock: :lol:

Joe G

PostPosted: Fri Apr 30, 2010 3:05 pm 
Holy Ghost
Holy Ghost

At least I know what I'm doing for the new 2 days!! I have to pick the best of all the bgroup studios clips to showcase the Tramp for the web site. Anyone who wants to suggest, I am open to that! I need 4 -6 8)

PostPosted: Fri Apr 30, 2010 11:30 pm 
Experienced
Experienced

joeyvelour wrote:
Brent, DUDE!!!
As a special thanks we're all chipping in and buying you a pound of decaf :shock: :shock: :lol:

Joe G

Ha ha! But decaf?!?! Oh man, never touch the stuff... if you want to chill me out a single malt scotch works MUCH better... ;) :happydance:

www.slyfichapel.com

PostPosted: Fri Apr 30, 2010 11:33 pm 
Experienced
Experienced

This just in!! Here's Matt's reaction to hearing the clips... I LOVE this!! Perfect characterization of the amp! :lol:

"Right on Brent! Nice recording! That little amp is certainly a buttery little tone bitch!"

;) :)

www.slyfichapel.com