trinityamps.com

Trinity Amps Guitar Amp Forum
It is currently Wed Jul 17, 2024 12:39 am

All times are UTC - 5 hours [ DST ]

PostPosted: Tue Jul 20, 2010 9:05 pm 
Expert
Expert

Hey all,

I had Stephen include a 10" San Rafael with my Tramp kit. It's been here for a couple of weeks but I just hadn't had time to fire it up until tonight. It's sitting in my finished Tramp cabinet. I gave it a go with my heavily modified Epi Valve Jr this evening.

First, some context with regards to my VJr. It's been rebuilt using a turret board, to stock specs at first. Since then I've added a switchable NFB, a "fat" switch, a gain boost switch, a tone control (similar to the Trinity 18w normal channel) and I've swapped the OT with for a Hammond 125ESE. All great improvements resulting in a LOT more grinding gain with the boost engaged and overall more warmth & character in any configuration. But, as with most EL84 SE amps, there is an inherent edginess & boxiness that I haven't been able to dial out.

Well, it appears the San Rafael does a great deal to tame the little beast. I wouldn't call it a particularly bright speaker, but it's not especially dark either. Overall it's very balanced & smooth - at least with the VJr. It doesn't sound as efficient as some other speakers I have, but it's still pretty loud. It's also not fatiguing even with the VJr running wide open. That's something I can't say for any other speaker I have used with this amp - even my beloved BBQ Thames Triwatt cab. Overall it appears to be a bit more laid back, but not crazy dark like the Marslands in my Saxon cab.

The top end rolls off a little earlier than the other Tubby's (based on the clips I've heard at least). It seems to be creamier through the midrange. It's hard to tell how the bottom end will react as the VJr is a little loose & flubby down there, especially when driven really hard, but it seems to have a solid bottom considering it's a 10" in an open-back cab. It does compress a little when hit hard.

I would say if you're looking for a balanced speaker that's a little darker/less edgy than the other Tubby's, this might be the ticket. That's right up my alley so I'm digging it.

PostPosted: Tue Jul 20, 2010 9:10 pm 
Holy Ghost
Holy Ghost

Thanks for the review. Glad it's in your ballpark. It's less efficient than the big ones and not as bright. Since I'm a 'bright' guy, I kinda lean that direction. But, I did like it in the Tramp and so did zaphod, it just wasn't as loud - but then along came the 6L6!!

PostPosted: Wed Jul 21, 2010 9:04 am 
Expert
Expert

Cool review,

Is it broken in, or was that the tone you were getting straight out of the box?

PostPosted: Wed Jul 21, 2010 9:12 am 
Holy Ghost
Holy Ghost

i broke that one in for about 8 hours.

PostPosted: Wed Jul 21, 2010 12:32 pm 
Expert
Expert

I didn't know it had been somewhat broken in. It doesn't surprise me considering how it sounds.

"Not as loud" is actually a good thing as it's easier to wind it out with comfort. My VJ can easily keep up in a small 3-piece jam (when overdriven) with a heavy-hitting drummer. I've been asked to turn down in fact.