trinityamps.com

Trinity Amps Guitar Amp Forum
It is currently Wed Jul 17, 2024 2:27 am

All times are UTC - 5 hours [ DST ]

PostPosted: Wed Sep 08, 2010 7:31 pm 
Expert
Expert

Hi folks,

I've borrowed a 1x10 cab with an Eminence Red Fang to try out with the Tramp (thanks Fortis!). I have just been A/B/C-ing the amp with this cab, my 1x12 Red Fang cab, and the 10" TT San Rafael that's currently in my Tramp. As noted in my previous comments regarding the TT & the Tramp, I find that speaker to be a little claustrophobic in the mids, a little on the "boxy" side, and overall a "small" sound in this amp. This is my reference point.

Note 1: The 1x10 Fang cab is closed back, the 1x12 semi-open back, and the TT is in a Tramp combo. I expect the 10" Fang would be a little more loose & airy in an open-backed cab.

Note 2: All tests were done with my Godin LG Signature, factory SD Jazz II in the neck, factory SD Custom Custom Custom in the bridge. Switching is as follows:
Pos 1: Bridge Humbucker
Pos 2: Bridge split
Pos 3: Bridge & Neck Humbucker
Pos 4: Neck split
Pos 5: Neck Humbucker

Note 3: All tests were done with the following settings:
VRM: max
Master: max
Bass: noon
Treble: noon
Gain: noon (clean), 3:00-4:00 (OD)
Fat/Thin: Thin for all tests (quite frankly, the amp doesn't need the fat engaged with the 6L6, IMO)

Note 5: I don't know how "broken in" the 10" Fang is (maybe Fortis can chime in here). The 12" has some hours on it, but I don't think it's fully worn in yet.

Test 1 - Tweed clean
These tests were primarily in position 2 & position 4 on the LG Sig.

TT San Rafael:
Just OK. A somewhat muddy overall tone lacking definition. Not particularly dynamic. Much too busy in the mids

Red Fang 10":
Much more open. Bigger bottom end, more detailed and present top end. More relaxed & not as claustrophobic in the mids. Sounds like a bigger tweed, like a Deluxe or maybe even a Twin, but with a little more complexity in the mids and a little more compressed. Just a touch on the spanky side.

Red Fang 12":
Even more open. Even more bottom, and a little looser (open-back cab contributing to this). Even more relaxed in the mids. Highs are less present than the 10", but equally detailed and has some fluidity. This sounds very much like a boutiqued Tweed Bassman. I can't think of a greater compliment than that.

Test 2 - 'Tude clean
These tests were primarily in position 2 & position 4 on the LG Sig.

TTSR:
Similar to above. A little more dynamic & complex. Still has the boxiness & small amp feel.

RF10:
Richer in the top end, more edgy & spanky than Tweed. Reminds me a lot of my Blackface Deluxe Reverb clone, but with a slightly more middy character & less bottom end (the BFDR has a 12" P12Q clone). I like this quite a lot. Pos 4 has that wonderful "flutey" quality that always makes me drool over BF Fenders.

RF12:
Yum, yum, yum... Very lush. More chime, less spank compared to the RF10. Pos 4 was orgasmic. I almost couldn't stop playing to move to the next test.

Test 3 - Tweed OD

TTSR:
I kind of like this mode with the SR. Maybe a little on the busy side, and maybe a little on the weak side, but overall not bad. If you're looking for a Tweed Champ overdrive, this could be the ticket.

RF10:
mmmmm...furry. Nice & warm bluesy overdrive. There's some "woman tone" in here somewhere. Once again I couldn't stop playing. This is a treat with the pickup selector in any position. I could play here all day. This is how an overdriven Tweed should sound. This may be the perfect American Overdrive tone. Can you say "outro solo from La Grange"?

RF12:
Very nice, but the 10" wins with slightly more focused mids & a tighter bottom end.

Test 4 - 'Tude OD

TTSR:
Didn't bother. The two RF's so thoroughly crushed it in previous tests that I didn't see any point.

RF10:
Hmmm... Although very similar to the RF12, it actually sounds less overdriven and a little thinner by comparison. It seems the voicing change in 'Tude mode swings the OD pendulum compared to Tweed.

RF12:
In pos 1 on the LG Sig, this is a flat out rocker. Smooth but snappy. No flubbiness to speak of. Big, thick & warm. Very nice indeed. In pos 2 it's classic overdriven Strat, maybe with a little less in the bottom end (but it's not angled like a Strat pickup either). The more you switch toward pos 5, the bluesier you get. Like your blues thick & REALLY overdriven? It's all right here baby.

Overall impressions
As I've said before I don't think the TTSR is a good match for the Tramp - at least not for my tastes. However, if you're after that vintage low-power Fender thing it would probably fit the bill nicely. That's just not my thing, and not what I wanted from the amp at all so there's quite a bit of personal preference rolled into that statement. When compared to the two Red Fangs it's simply no contest.

The RF10 is a very nice speaker for this application. It's very nice in all settings, but in some it's fantastic. It's especially nice for overdriven blues. You can't miss with this speaker in the Tramp.

The RF12 is very similar to the FR10 tonally, but it is slightly stronger in the bottom end, and a little more relaxed in the mids & highs. It's brilliant for clean "big tweed" tones and I love it for wide open rockin' OD.

There you have it. Hope you find this informative (or at least mildly interesting).

Kirb

P.S. Update to follow...I still haven't tried the Tramp through my BBQ P12Q clone. I'll post an update when I have a go at it.

Last edited by Emohawk on Thu Sep 09, 2010 5:28 pm, edited 1 time in total.

PostPosted: Wed Sep 08, 2010 7:53 pm 
Expert
Expert

Well, the P12Q is more mid scooped (quite a lot more really) than the other speakers above. It's also quite a bit brighter. If you want a Blackface tone with some extra spank, this would be a good choice. OD in 'Tude mode is very present and would cut through a mix quite well. It is a little too bright for my taste. Works great in my BFDR, but the Tramp is a bit of a different critter. I don't dig it in Tweed mode. It's just too bright to pull off what I want there.

I definitely much prefer the Red Fangs for the Tramp.

Last edited by Emohawk on Fri Sep 10, 2010 12:31 pm, edited 1 time in total.

PostPosted: Thu Sep 09, 2010 7:05 pm 
Novice
Novice

Sounds good Kirb :D

Just a note...that RF10 is just out of the box with about 1 hour of playing time on it. I'm sure a little break-in can only help 8)

Keith

PostPosted: Fri Sep 10, 2010 9:56 am 
Expert
Expert

That's a great speaker/amp review there! :thumbsup:

PostPosted: Fri Sep 10, 2010 2:27 pm 
Experienced
Experienced

zaphod wrote:

Yes. It would have been epic with clips! :D

PostPosted: Fri Sep 10, 2010 4:05 pm 
Holy Ghost
Holy Ghost

++1. An excellent review to be sure. Both this informative and very mildly interesting. Thanks very much.
I'll have to get one and compare it to the Tone Tubby Alnico and the Jensen Jet Alnico.

Sorry the TTSR didnt better fill the bill here. ( of course it's 1/3 the price!).

Wonder what the 10" would sound like in the combo cabinet.

Speaking of La Grange - We're off the see the Rev tonight. I'm taking a Tramp in case I can talk Billy into trying it! Yes, zaphod, kurtlives & coco all goin' to see the Rev. 8)

PostPosted: Sat Sep 11, 2010 3:08 pm 
Expert
Expert

RMosack wrote:
zaphod wrote:

Yes. It would have been epic with clips! :D

:D Clips of my playing could do nothing positive!

PostPosted: Sat Sep 11, 2010 3:18 pm 
Expert
Expert

coco wrote:
++1. An excellent review to be sure. Both this informative and very mildly interesting. Thanks very much.
I'll have to get one and compare it to the Tone Tubby Alnico and the Jensen Jet Alnico.

Sorry the TTSR didnt better fill the bill here. ( of course it's 1/3 the price!).

Wonder what the 10" would sound like in the combo cabinet.

Speaking of La Grange - We're off the see the Rev tonight. I'm taking a Tramp in case I can talk Billy into trying it! Yes, zaphod, kurtlives & coco all goin' to see the Rev. 8)

No problem. It's a fun little amp to be sure.

There's nothing really wrong with the TTSR. I've tried it with a couple of other amps that sound great. It's just not the speaker for the Tramp IMO. I think it needs a speaker that breathes a little more and it really shines. Perhaps the Fangs being higher powered speakers has some impact also. The Tramp is pushing the TT a bit harder, and maybe it's compressing a little more due to that. Someone else may love it. Miking it completely changes the deal too.