trinityamps.com

Trinity Amps Guitar Amp Forum
It is currently Sat Jul 20, 2024 12:29 pm

All times are UTC - 5 hours [ DST ]

PostPosted: Tue Sep 07, 2010 1:54 am 
Friend
Friend

Hello all
I just started my TC15 kit this weekend. Very excited to getrdone but taking it slow as I don't want to screw it up.

So This issue sparked several questions I now have about wire...
1. The guide indicates I need 20 or 20 Gauge wire. I'm assuming this is a typo but what should it say?
2. I just realized my kit is missing the 3 ft of shielded wire the parts list indicated I was going to email Stephen for resolution but then I remembered I had about 5 ft of 22 gauge shielded wire.
a. Since all the other wire in the TC15 is 20G does anyone see an issue with using the 22G wire?
b. The wire I have does not have a plastic insulation around the outside of the shielded mesh that surrounds the insulated wire inside. I noticed the wire in the guide is insulated for both the shield and the wire. Will using this wire cause any problems?
3. 18G for power - My understanding from the layout that I need to use 18G stranded wire from pin 8 on the 5AR4 to the standby switch to the big can cap then to the filter caps on the board. Then I can drop to the 20G wire for the board tubes and controls. Do I have this right?
4. How many amps are running through the TC15 per spec?

I probably have over asked my allotment for questions for one post but had a long weekend to sort through the kit and study the instructions and layout and I'm ready to stick a toe in the water. Thank you in advance for your help!

PostPosted: Tue Sep 07, 2010 6:00 pm 
Holy Ghost
Holy Ghost

22 or 20 guage the typo is fixed.
No problem using that shielded wire, but we can send you some too. :oops:
We used to use 22 guage, but upgraded everything, so using 22 is fine.
You dont need to use exactly 18 g stranded for power, I like to use the cut-offs from the transformer or the 20 ga solid supplied.

PostPosted: Wed Sep 08, 2010 12:36 pm 
Friend
Friend

Thanks for the information and quick reply! I have to admit I'm probably being to anal with this build but I'm really stoked to fire it up and play. Mistakes will just delay that process. Also, thanks for your offer on the replacements cable. I would like to keep what I have for my next project; (My wife always asks why do you need another one... silly girl) 8) I'll email you withm my contact info.

PostPosted: Sun Sep 19, 2010 6:53 pm 
Friend
Friend

I'm about to clip the wires for my Trinity power transformer to reuse for the power section of the amp... and I noticed the gauges are different on the transformer itself.
posting.php?mode=reply&f=1&t=2174#Since the instructions tell me to wire up the power section with 18G wire I'm concerned that the high voltage wires are a smaller gauge (22G) Can someone tell me if this is ok.. and was my transformer manufactured with the correctly.

Here are the gauges of each wire:
White 5.0 18G
Yellow-white 0 18G
Yellow 18G
Red 290 22G
Red-Yellow 0 22G
Red 290 22G
Green 3.15 18G
Green-yellow 18G
Green 3.15 18G
Black 0 22G
Black-White 120 22G
Black-yellow 230 22G

Thanks!

PostPosted: Sun Sep 19, 2010 7:11 pm 
Holy Ghost
Holy Ghost

Those cut-offs or 20 Ga solid will all work fine. They are all well within the current capacity and spec of the amp. The transformers are manufactured correctly.

PostPosted: Sun Sep 19, 2010 7:50 pm 
Friend
Friend

Thanks, Sorry to be such a pain in the a*** with the wire questions but that is one area I know very little about .. When to use what gauge and stranded vs solid. Any way learned a lot trying to figure it out and make sure the thing doesn't melt down. Anyway thanks for the excellent support.

PostPosted: Tue Sep 21, 2010 10:58 am 
Expert
Expert

FYI wire guage requirements have nothing to do with the voltage they carry. You need heavier guage wire for higher currents, not voltages. So if you have a 12V circuit running 15A, it would need some real badass fat wire.

PostPosted: Tue Sep 21, 2010 9:08 pm 
Experienced
Experienced

zaphod wrote:
FYI wire guage requirements have nothing to do with the voltage they carry. You need heavier guage wire for higher currents, not voltages. So if you have a 12V circuit running 15A, it would need some real badass fat wire.

That's why the water pipe model for electricity works so well. You don't need a bigger pipe for more pressure (volts), but you do need a bigger pipe for more flow (current).

PostPosted: Wed Sep 22, 2010 9:39 pm 
Friend
Friend

Thanks this helps. I've spent a lot of time online trying to figure this out and embarrassingly almost installed 12 G solid core (its all I could find) until I realized it wouldn’t fit. Glad I asked. Anyone know a good hobby electronics store in Denver CO? Radio Shack doesn’t have much anymore and the big box home improvement stores don’t carry much.