trinityamps.com

Trinity Amps Guitar Amp Forum
It is currently Fri Jul 19, 2024 2:24 pm

All times are UTC - 5 hours [ DST ]

PostPosted: Mon Oct 25, 2010 1:12 am 
Friend
Friend

I have sound and at first listen sounds decent at low vol. The family is home so I can't open her up yet. seems like most of it works but I'm not convinced the contour switch is working as it doesn't seem to have any affect on the tone of Chan 1. Also some of my voltages on the EL84 and preamp tubes seem to high. I plan to do more testing and will post the values for input. Anyway Its been a long day of sniffing rosin fumes so of to bed. I posted a few pictures of my work. I think for my first P2P I did a decent job.

Attachments:
IMG_3756-web.JPG
IMG_3756-web.JPG [ 119.45 KiB | Viewed 8886 times ]
IMG_3764-web.JPG
IMG_3764-web.JPG [ 113.57 KiB | Viewed 8886 times ]

PostPosted: Mon Oct 25, 2010 10:04 pm 
Holy Ghost
Holy Ghost

Yes, very nice, tidy job. The contour effect is subtle so listen for Fat <-> Thin as you turn it. Post more info when you get a chance.

PostPosted: Sun Oct 31, 2010 2:30 am 
Friend
Friend

Hi all,
Just getting back to the amp to run more testes. Just fixed the Contour switch. had the lead for the volume pot going to the wrong pin on the contour. So that works now and can hear the variations in tone. sweet!

Here are my voltages. They are quite a bit higher that the voltages included in my build guide but seem in line with the average of the 3 Trinity 15 amps included in th following post viewtopic.php?f=12&t=151

Am I within a healthy range? Any concerns or advice?
AC 310
DC after Cap 351

Pin Number 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8
V1-12AX7 131 x 1.3 x x 130 x 1.3 x
V2-12AX7 166 x 0 x x 269 x 167 x
V3-12AX7 254 x 64 x x 249 x 42 x
V4-EL84 x x 7.39 x x x 365 x
V5- EL84 x x 7.39 x x x 366 x
V6-5AR4 x x x x x x x 370 x
V7-EF86 70 x 1.76 x x 89 x 1.76 x

Thanks,
Jeremy

PostPosted: Sun Oct 31, 2010 1:44 pm 
Holy Ghost
Holy Ghost

B+ seems a bit high on the plates of the EL84. 360-350 about normal for a TC15. The EF86 seem a bit low on pin 6.

These can be possible due to Mains voltage (what is it? > 120V) and different tubes used.

Play it for a while & then decide. If you like it, I dont see any thing really wrong with the voltages here.

PostPosted: Tue Nov 02, 2010 12:38 pm 
Friend
Friend

1. Wall AC is 122V
2. I just measured pin 6 on the EF86 and now I'm at 114V. So I either had a bad reading the first time or something weird is going on. I plan on going through the rest of the voltages again to see if anything else changed.
3. I spent some time playing last night and while the clean on the amp is very nice the overdrive past 5 (1-10 scale) on the channel volume become increasingly raspy and very bright and harsh as you move the dial up. From about 7-10 some weird overtones start to come in. I using the master volume in this scenario. This is on both channels but the EF86 seem to have more of the issue mentioned. I'm basing my reference on the Trinity sound clips of the amp. I plan to start going through the amp with the schematic to see if I did anything wrong… In the meantime any ideas what the issue could be?
tubes used:
5ar4 – JJ
12ax7 – JJ’s
EL84 – JJ’s I tried some Saratovs I bought from Terry K too with the same results.
Ef86- Amprex Bugle Boy
Speaker is a Greenback but plan to use a V30 when I place in the cab I built for the TC-15.

PostPosted: Tue Nov 02, 2010 8:44 pm 
Holy Ghost
Holy Ghost

Try it without the MV in play & see what you think. Zaphod regularly mentions some minor tweaks in the PI to take out some brittleness but I havent had any customer complaints & I am using the same tubes sets as you (except the rectifier).

PostPosted: Wed Nov 03, 2010 1:53 am 
Friend
Friend

I played around on the cleans tonight without the MV This amp is a loud 15w so I didn't get into the overdrive range but the cleans are very inspiring and worth the price of admission for sure. I was after a singing cowboy amp ( to quote Zaphod from somewhere ) and this does the chicken picken better than any amp I've tried to date. Now I just need to get better at chicken picken. I was playing a Strat tonight and flipped on the MV and dialed up some overdrive. Much better than what I experienced last night while playing my humbucker equipped guitar. I'm a child of the 80's so I have serveral Kramers/ Jackson shred guitars. Probably not ideal for this type of amp. My humbuckers are pretty hot Seymour Duncan's and the guitar does not have a tone control. I think the Kramer overloaded the front-end to much. Maybe a Trinity 18w with a footswitchable chan cascade would be more appropriate for the the 80's rock/ metal? If so, I may be sending you another paypal after the new year and give the 18 a go.

Thanks for all your help and responsiveness. I'm sure the hand holding grows tiresome but I appreciate the fact you are willing to offer your product in kits and provide the personal support. Also thanks to the forum members for your support and help. I'm amazed the depth and breadth of knowledge you all willingly share. I hope to some day provide the same for someone else venturing into amp building.

I have to admit I was a bit excited to turn it on and play so I did the minimum form the start up guide. I still plan to chop stick it to make sure I don't have a bad connection and recheck everything. I'll check back in if I see anything but other than that I think I have a successful build on my hands. That is until I figure out what the VVR is and more than likely want a effects loop.

Thanks!

Last edited by jerster on Wed Nov 03, 2010 3:16 pm, edited 1 time in total.

PostPosted: Wed Nov 03, 2010 1:26 pm 
Holy Ghost
Holy Ghost

Good news,

With the hot gits, try this: Turn Off the boost on ch. 2 and put it into Munch (8K OT) mode.

PostPosted: Fri Nov 12, 2010 11:30 pm 
Friend
Friend

Ok.... It was the MV. Cranking the channel gains and lowering the MV to playat low volumes that was causing the buzzy distortion . The wife and kids were out this afternoon and I cranked it. OMG!!! serious BALLS!!! My Marshall DSL 50 feels so lifeless now!!! I think I might have to sell the DSL to buy a 18 watter now. Yes?

Anyway thanks!

PostPosted: Tue Nov 16, 2010 1:14 am 
Expert
Expert

jerster wrote:
I think I might have to sell the DSL to buy a 18 watter now. Yes?

Yep :D