trinityamps.com

Trinity Amps Guitar Amp Forum
It is currently Wed Jul 17, 2024 12:27 am

All times are UTC - 5 hours [ DST ]

PostPosted: Sat Dec 11, 2010 3:07 pm 

Hello everyone at the Trinity Forum.......

My name is Josh from Salt Lake, Utah in the United States..... I am 25 years old and this is my first post and I am asking for a little help.

I recently purchased a Trinity 18 Watt Head after selling my combo and I am enjoying the hell out of it. I have a slight problem. The TMB channel is working great with no disturbances whatsoever. However when I exit the 1st channel and allow the amp to idle to change to channel 2 (even for 5 seconds), I get a sound disturbance or humming... But the humming is not constant. It is a fading sound that generates during idle and channel 2 :(

Does anyone have any ideas for a fix?? Honestly. I am not electrician nor amplifier expert. I think my experience will extend to changing tubes and minor solder work given proper direction. So I am hoping it wont require any circuit board rewiring or transformer replacing.

Well.... I really enjoy the amp. Channel 2 is brilliant.... I just cant use it much right now. If you have any ideas. Please help out. I will take some pictures of the wiring and tubes with an hour or 2. Thanks again everyone. Josh

PostPosted: Sat Dec 11, 2010 3:50 pm 

Well having read a few more posts.... I realize that this problem could be out of my reach.

I just hope that some local amp tech can rid the problem if I cannot. It seems that the first answer is to change the tubes out for any problem. However I did read one post earlier that had a similar pop or crackle to the idle and or 2nd channel.

Maybe that is a similar problem that i am having. Thanks. Josh

PostPosted: Sun Dec 12, 2010 12:13 pm 
Experienced
Experienced

Is that a Trinity?

Joe G

PostPosted: Sun Dec 12, 2010 1:01 pm 
Holy Ghost
Holy Ghost

It is a trinity kit for sure. Been around for a while, but that's NP.

1. When you unplug the guitar, does the channel stll make noise?
2. I expect it to be a grounding issue, which, assuming it was OK in the past, would be a touch up of the solder joints.
3. Does it happen on both input jack on the noisy channel?
4. Try swapping V1 & V2 & see if the problem moves to the other channel.

PostPosted: Sun Dec 12, 2010 3:08 pm 

coco wrote:
It is a trinity kit for sure. Been around for a while, but that's NP.

1. When you unplug the guitar, does the channel stll make noise?
2. I expect it to be a grounding issue, which, assuming it was OK in the past, would be a touch up of the solder joints.
3. Does it happen on both input jack on the noisy channel?
4. Try swapping V1 & V2 & see if the problem moves to the other channel.

Thanks guys.... Yes, I believe it is an older model. The Trinity logo on the back panel isnt visible.

As far as the noise is concerned....The TMB channel is working properly and flawlessly. I find the noise when switching to the second channel and or letting the amplifier idle while switching instruments. It is a popping or crackling sound that fades in and out.

I actually unplugged all the tubes, returned them to their spots and havent had any sound disturbances since. I will be sure to give attention to the tubes first for any future problems.

I also suspect it could be a grounding issue that may need future attention. Thanks for the help everyone. I will keep in touch. Have a good weekend. Josh W

PostPosted: Mon Dec 13, 2010 8:03 am 
Holy Ghost
Holy Ghost

Good news. You might get some contact cleaner spray for future use.