trinityamps.com

Trinity Amps Guitar Amp Forum
It is currently Wed Jul 17, 2024 1:18 am

All times are UTC - 5 hours [ DST ]

PostPosted: Fri Dec 31, 2010 5:21 pm 
Experienced
Experienced

A couple questions.

1) As I understand it, the v6 version can be done based on the basic TMB, the sIII or the Plexi. I ordered an sIII v6, but the Instruction Manual doesn't really indicate what sort off v6 I have. How do I know if my instructions are for the sIII version or the other two? Is sIII the "standard" version of the v6, meaning that TMB or Plexi would be notated as deviations?

2) The Manual also stated the Resources forum would have color pics of the build process (I assume to supplement the black and white stuff and text in the Manual itself). On that page, I can see threads for various versions of the 18 (e.g. TMB, Plexi, generic v6, etc.). Some of them have embedded links to pics, but not the v6 thread. Do v6 pics not exist, or am I just not looking in the right place?

PostPosted: Fri Dec 31, 2010 9:37 pm 
Experienced
Experienced

From here pick your starting layout/schematic. Don't get hung up on designations or voicings. After you have a working two channel amp, you change components to make it sound the way you like.
viewtopic.php?f=12&t=763

The first layout and schematic are for a Slll channel with the normal channel voiced tremolo

The second layout and schematic are for a Plexi. Both channels voiced to the Plexi.

You build what version you want by the choice of components and values, where they get used and how they get used.

My choice for a starting point was Plexi for the TMB channel and Plexi for the normal channel. (mine is not a 6v6 version).
When its finally working how I want it to, then the modding start. The schematic gives lots of choices.

This is a link to a finished amp. He has a link to his build. viewtopic.php?f=7&t=1981

Again I say don't get hung up on names and designations. Get what you have working and then make it sound how you want not someone elses idea of how it should sound.

Thats one the reasons we build them.

Tele's make the best noise

Last edited by Taz13 on Sun Jan 02, 2011 3:35 pm, edited 1 time in total.

PostPosted: Sat Jan 01, 2011 12:24 am 
Experienced
Experienced

I wouldn't say I'm hung up. I would just prefer to build the right version the first time and now worry about changing components around later unless I wanted to CHANGE the tone.

And as far as designations/names go, I don't think I'm hung up on that either. I'm just looking for the instructions (with hopefully the correct BOM components) for the version I plan to build.

PostPosted: Sat Jan 01, 2011 2:20 pm 
Experienced
Experienced

Kinda said that wrong. Sorry

Here is what I do:

I separate components by type
I sort each component by value. I use a meter where possible. As I do this I break the resistors and capacitors down to type as well.
Then using cardboard or styrofoam(I like florists foam) I stick the components in with values written beside each group. This then becomes my parts holder as I am building, keeps everything together and easy to use.
I then go to the BOM of the model I want to build, in my case Plexi ch1 and Plexi normal channel
Then I went to the manual BOM list I make sure that I have the parts by checking them off.
Pull out the layout you are using and check off the parts. Remaining parts are normally ones you can use to mod according the notes on the schematic
You may or may not have VRM to account for as well, if you do you can also try the mod coco did for a tweed and add a 100k resistor in the ground line.
I also had a relay board to contend with.

Tele's make the best noise

Last edited by Taz13 on Sun Jan 02, 2011 3:47 pm, edited 1 time in total.

PostPosted: Sun Jan 02, 2011 3:20 pm 
Experienced
Experienced

Taz13 wrote:
From here pick your starting layout/schematic. Don't get hung up on designations or voicings. After you have a working two channel amp, you change components to make it sound the way you like.
viewtopic.php?f=12&t=763

The first layout and schematic are for a Slll channel with the normal channel voiced tremolo

The second layout and schematic are for a Plexi. Both channels voiced to the Plexi.

Ah, thanks. Reading it again, I think I see what you were saying.

My take is that the first layout is the one I was looking for - or at least the correct layout for the kit I think I ordered! From perusing this site for a long time before ordering, I chose the sIII version of the 18 watt. I liked the notion of the TMB channel being in the low gain, JTM-45 territory with a switchable boost. I also really liked the notion of the other channel being the same voicing as the traditional 18 watt trem channel. Seemed like the perfect nod to tradition and versatility. I just got confused when I realized that one can build any of the three 18 watt versions (sIII, Plexi and TMB) with the v6 option, but didn't really see three v6 layouts.

So as I understand it now, that first layout IS the sIII v6 version. The second layout would be the Plexi v6 version. I won't even worry myself about whether or not there is a TMB v6 layout anywhere. :D

Taz13 wrote:
You build what version you want by the choice of components and values, where they get used and how they get used.

My choice for a starting point was Slll for the TMB channel and Plexi for the normal channel. (mine is not a 6v6 version).
When its finally working how I want it to, then the modding start. The schematic gives lots of choices.

Very interesting. I suppose that if I ever really thought about tweaking to another version, the way you just said it would be interesting. The TMB channel on the sIII sounds just too good to be true. But if I wanted to diverge, trading a traditional 18 watt (trem channel) voicing for the "original Plexi lead" voicing on the other channel would be the thing to try.

(At least, that's my understanding of the multiple versions of Trinity 18 amps. :shock:

PostPosted: Sun Jan 02, 2011 10:16 pm 
Holy Ghost
Holy Ghost

In the v6, sIII the "standard" version of the v6.

I'll locate the v6 pics. they may be a bit old, that's all.

PostPosted: Sun Jan 02, 2011 10:45 pm 
Experienced
Experienced

Thanks for the additional confirmation! :D

PostPosted: Wed Jan 05, 2011 11:11 pm 
Holy Ghost
Holy Ghost

Some older pics of #1 production build here: viewtopic.php?f=7&t=752