trinityamps.com

Trinity Amps Guitar Amp Forum
It is currently Tue Jul 16, 2024 10:50 am

All times are UTC - 5 hours [ DST ]

PostPosted: Thu Oct 28, 2010 3:47 pm 

Hi All - I've started building the Tweed Deluxe kit and thought I'd post a thread showing its progress...

So far it's moved along faster than I thought - basically what is left is to populated the eyelet board, connect it, and wire the pots, and B+...

Sorry for the pic size - I realize now it's way too big.

PostPosted: Fri Oct 29, 2010 8:29 am 
Holy Ghost
Holy Ghost

Looks nice & neat. Wont be long now. Dont forget all the jumpers on the board!!

PostPosted: Fri Oct 29, 2010 4:03 pm 

coco wrote:
Looks nice & neat. Wont be long now. Dont forget all the jumpers on the board!!

Thanks Stephen! I'm thinking I may use some Teflon or maybe cloth wire on the board/signal part of the circuit as I find the 20GA solid a little bulky to work with.

Sozos just arrived so I should get to the board soon...

Dave

PS - how much quieter does it keep the amp if I use a shielded wire from the input, and place the 68k grid resistors right at V1? (Mod mentioned in the manual)

PostPosted: Fri Oct 29, 2010 5:10 pm 
Holy Ghost
Holy Ghost

Dave wrote:
how much quieter does it keep the amp if I use a shielded wire from the input, and place the 68k grid resistors right at V1? (Mod mentioned in the manual)

More that you avoid any external noises. Very minor.

PostPosted: Wed Jan 26, 2011 9:24 pm 

Sorry I haven't had time to post more pics of the build - got busy and forgot to update this thread. however, I finished the amp back around Thanksgiving. Love the sound of it!

I'm currently in the woodworking phase...

I need to decide on a speaker for it. I've been testing it with a Celestion G12-80 (ceramic) and I think it sounds fantastic, but I'm curious how an Alnico would sound with it.

It's surprisingly loud for a tiny amp. In club performances I sometimes can't put the volume over 2 or 3 without dirty looks from the sound guy.

PostPosted: Wed Jan 26, 2011 10:02 pm 
Expert
Expert

Very nice work! It's a great little amp. I built one for a friend a while back. We put an Eminence Texas Heat in it. Killer speaker in this amp. Kinda gives you the best of both worlds. Warm bluesy clean & nice furry overdrive.

The amp sounded nice with everything I threw at it really. Even Vintage 30's in a closed-back 2x12 sounded pretty damn nice.

I never did try it with an alnico - didn't have any on hand at the time. If I eventually build one for myself that'll be the route I go for sure.

PostPosted: Wed Jan 26, 2011 10:27 pm 
Friend
Friend

Good job, neater than my build for sure. I was so eager I just kindof rushed through it. Like you, I love the sound of the amp, and like you I get dirty looks after 2 or 3... which is why I love the VRM in this amp. Consider adding it, makes a huge differnce in available tones.

I picked up the TT Alnico from Stephen, and it sounds great. My amp is just breaking the 20 hour mark, and it just keeps sounding better and better. Things are working into place, getting into that nice mojo groove. Glad I dropped the extra coin for that one. It has made all the difference.

PostPosted: Sat Jan 29, 2011 10:13 am 

Thanks! A friend of mine has a BBQ 12A150 he might let go of, which I'm quite interested in and hoping he does, but I must say even though a ceramic speaker it sounds fantastic.

(Not sure why W-E-B-E-R becomes B-B-Q above?)

PostPosted: Sun Jan 30, 2011 1:19 am 
Expert
Expert

Dave wrote:
Thanks! A friend of mine has a BBQ 12A150 he might let go of, which I'm quite interested in and hoping he does, but I must say even though a ceramic speaker it sounds fantastic.

(Not sure why W-E-B-E-R becomes B-B-Q above?)

Great speaker. I have on in my Deluxe Reverb build. Should get on well with the Deluxe also.

PostPosted: Sun Jan 30, 2011 6:44 pm 
Novice
Novice

Dave wrote:
Not sure why W-E-B-E-R becomes B-B-Q above?

W-e-b-e-r is also a popular brand of gas barbecues (at least where I am in Ontario, Canada)

That was weird - when I first typed in the brand name without the hyphens it automatically changed to BBQ

PostPosted: Mon Jan 31, 2011 1:20 pm 
Expert
Expert

The BBQ thing is partly in humour, and partly to avoid legal issues in the case of anyone saying anything critical of their products. This was after Webber got 18watt.com taken off-line a few years ago under legal duress, due to someone dissing one of their products. Sadly, Ted Webber himself has now passed away, but along with him so has the risk of law suits over stuff like that.

PostPosted: Tue Feb 01, 2011 11:16 pm 
Holy Ghost
Holy Ghost

zaphod wrote:
The BBQ thing is partly in humour, and partly to avoid legal issues in the case of anyone saying anything critical of their products. This was after Webber got 18watt.com taken off-line a few years ago under legal duress, due to someone dissing one of their products. Sadly, Ted Webber himself has now passed away, but along with him so has the risk of law suits over stuff like that.

So now it's mostly humour and not wanting search engines to pick up BBQ in our forum.

PostPosted: Tue Feb 22, 2011 2:35 am 

was so eager I just kindof rushed through it. Like you, I love the sound of the amp, and like you I get dirty looks after 2 or 3... which is why I love the VRM in this amp.

PostPosted: Tue Feb 22, 2011 11:21 am 
Expert
Expert

How did the spam links get into that last post? :shock: