trinityamps.com

Trinity Amps Guitar Amp Forum
It is currently Tue Jul 16, 2024 12:40 pm

All times are UTC - 5 hours [ DST ]

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 170 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5 ... 9  Next
 Post subject: Re: Plexi Brown Mods
PostPosted: Thu Mar 10, 2011 6:23 pm 
Experienced
Experienced

zaphod wrote:
Unimind has somehow come up with an 18W-based amp design that has a real sick brown tone.
I am soooo glad it wasn't the attenuator coloring the sound. Although if it was... then I just created a magic "brown" box. I could have been rich. :bugeye:
zaphod wrote:
I have a question. Did you ever try the simpler version of this amp, you first posted, with cathode-bias only and no NFB? If so, how did it sound? I'm wondering what the merit of the simpler version is vs the full-blown one with the NFB and everything.

The very first clip I posted (see my first post viewtopic.php?f=7&t=2464) was the stock Trinity Plexi circuit except 220K grid reference and 5.6K grid stoppers on the EL84s and 33K slope resistor on the tone stack. Bright channel only dimed except bass on 0. I had not wired any of the switches other than the boost. You can see the gut shots in that thread as well.
zaphod wrote:
Overall, your power amp looks good to me, although I would probably want to put the grid blocker resistors back up to 8.2k. Bear in mind that the grid capacitance of an EL84 is different from an EL34, so there's no need to stick to the same grid block resistor value as the 1959. For the NFB version, I would use a lower value tail resistor in series with the 5k pot, say 43k, which is a standard value and pretty darn lose to perfect for an 18W PI. Apart from that I would try to change as little as possible.
It sounds so good right now I am not sure I want to change it. I might try the grid stoppers back at 8.2K. When I turn the NFB off will the 43K tail still be ok there?

-Les

http://www.soundclick.com/unimind

PostPosted: Thu Mar 10, 2011 6:38 pm 
Experienced
Experienced

Here are my current plate voltages:

Mains: 122.1(AC)
B+: 337.8
V1: 136.2/142
V2: 255.1/156.5
V3:185.4/190.3
V4:315.6
V5:315.7

I am using Tung-sol preamp tubes and JJ EL84 and JJ EZ81.

-Les

PostPosted: Thu Mar 10, 2011 7:03 pm 
Holy Ghost
Holy Ghost

Updated per comments. I think that's it. Normal Channel is stock.

[see next version] below

PostPosted: Thu Mar 10, 2011 7:08 pm 
Experienced
Experienced

That looks correct. Now which lurker is going to be our guinie pig and try that schematic? :twisted:

PostPosted: Thu Mar 10, 2011 8:05 pm 
Expert
Expert

That looks OK for the simplified (non-NFB cathode-bias only) version.
coco wrote:
I think this captured most of unimind changes. Added the 50pf PI plate cap, left the 8.2K grid stoppers and lefft the normal channel as per plexi lead (220uf/820R).

That 47pF cap is meant to be across the PI V3's anodes, and it needs to be 100pF in this amp, like Unimind has done done it.

And I think we should also reduce the 220uF on the Normal channel to 3.3uF as per Unimind's recommendation in his other thread, quoted here. Also the coupling cap to 0.0047uF....

Update:
Made some changes to the normal channel to tighten up the bass.
Changed coupling cap to .0047uF
Changed cathode bypass cap to 3.3uF
Sounds much tighter now. Really has that 80s feel.

Unimind wrote:
When I turn the NFB off will the 43K tail still be ok there?

Yes, because it's path to ground is still via the 5k pot.
Unimind wrote:
That looks correct. Now which lurker is going to be our guinie pig and try that schematic? :twisted:

You missed one mistake. :lol: Edit: OK, the PI cap has been fixed now. There has been a change in the matrix. :lol:

Unimind wrote:
.... Bright channel only dimed except bass on 0. I had not wired any of the switches other than the boost. You can see the gut shots in that thread as well.

If you needed to run the bass control at 0, then that tells me you would probably have done better with a 0.01uF for the tone stack Mid cap C4. The regular Marshall tone stack's bass control sweep is more in the bass guitar range, due to the fact it comes from the Fender Bassman. This simple mod pulls the bass control more into the regular guitar frequency range.

Edit: And one more thing!
We have got to include the cascade switch. That's where a lot of the fun of this amp lies.

PostPosted: Thu Mar 10, 2011 10:41 pm 
Holy Ghost
Holy Ghost

Ok, the votes are in and I've updated the schematic for the normal channel (it was the Plexi Lead 50).

Also changed the bass cap, C4, to .01uf

Schematic
Attachment:
PlexiBrown_10Mar11.jpg
PlexiBrown_10Mar11.jpg [ 429.15 KiB | Viewed 13755 times ]

Layout
Attachment:
PlexiBrown_29Mar11.jpg
PlexiBrown_29Mar11.jpg [ 665.17 KiB | Viewed 13625 times ]

Are you cascading the Normal into the TMB or TMB into the normal?

PostPosted: Thu Mar 10, 2011 11:12 pm 
Expert
Expert

coco wrote:
Ok, the votes are in and I've updated the schematic for the normal channel

It's lookin real good now! :thumbsup: And it looks like it would work with the regular 18W Plexi turret boards.

PostPosted: Thu Mar 10, 2011 11:12 pm 
Experienced
Experienced

coco wrote:
Are you cascading the Normal into the TMB or TMB into the normal?
I am running the normal into the TMB but remember that I took out the normal channel tone knob. I think you should start without the cascade and have someone try that and see what it sounds like. That is more inline with the standard 18 watt design just with the "brown" mods. I know I have cascading working and working well and that is the only reason I lowered the bypass cap on the normal channel. The 1959 circuit has the 820/330uf on the normal channel which I thought was ok by itself just it got a little muddy when cascaded.

PostPosted: Thu Mar 10, 2011 11:20 pm 
Expert
Expert

Les, there is already plenty of experience with cascaded 18W amps at Trinity. So I personally don't see a reason not to put the cascade straight in from the start - and it's on a switch anyway. So it's easy enough to try both ways. BTW Richard Johnson's 18W Plexi design on 18watt.com also has the cascade switch, so it's pretty familiar territory to us by now.

I also noticed from the other thread that your cool clips used a 7-string guitar. So I would assume we're talking about some pretty hot pickups. I suspect that someone with a less hot guitar may not achieve the same tones you were getting without the cascade mode engaged.

I knew the reason for the smaller cathode cap in the Normal channel. That kind of mod sometimes gets done on the big Plexis for the same reason.

PostPosted: Thu Mar 10, 2011 11:32 pm 
Experienced
Experienced

zaphod wrote:
Les, there is already plenty of experience with cascaded 18W amps at Trinity. So I personally don't see a reason not to put the cascade straight in from the start - and it's on a switch anyway. So it's easy enough to try both ways. BTW Richard Johnson's 18W Plexi design on 18watt.com also has the cascade switch, so it's pretty familiar territory to us by now.
Fair enough.
zaphod wrote:
I also noticed from the other thread that your cool clips used a 7-string guitar. So I would assume we're talking about some pretty hot pickups. I suspect that someone with a less hot guitar may not achieve the same tones you were getting without the cascade mode engaged.
All of my previous clips were with my six string with the Duncan distortion pup. The seven string has the stock pup in it. I think it is a DiMarzio but it is not that hot that is why I use the super overdrive with it but with the drive all the way down. Just gives it a little umpf. 8)

PostPosted: Thu Mar 10, 2011 11:46 pm 
Expert
Expert

Unimind wrote:
I think it is a DiMarzio but it is not that hot that is why I use the super overdrive with it but with the drive all the way down. Just gives it a little umpf. 8)

Which is why I think the cascade mode is important to have on this amp, for those folks who's pickups aren't that hot and they prefer not to have to use pedals.

PostPosted: Fri Mar 11, 2011 9:57 am 
Holy Ghost
Holy Ghost

Schematic with Normal channel cascaded into TMB. The DPDT can be on the Normal Ch. 500K Volume control. This has worked nicely and tested too.

Attachment:
PlexiBrownCascade_10Mar11.jpg
PlexiBrownCascade_10Mar11.jpg [ 441.23 KiB | Viewed 13733 times ]

However, I am thinking, it might be more natural to go from TMB into Normal if that channel is most popular. Then, logically the pull/push switch would go on the 500K Gain control, making even more sense.

Remembering that when cascaded, the other input is out of circuit.

PostPosted: Fri Mar 11, 2011 12:34 pm 
Experienced
Experienced

coco wrote:
Schematic with Normal channel cascaded into TMB. The DPDT can be on the Normal Ch. 5000K Volume control. This has worked nicely and tested too.

Attachment:
PlexiBrownCascade_10Mar11.jpg

However, I am thinking, it might be more natural to go from TMB into Normal if that channel is most popular. Then, logically the pull/push switch would go on the 500K Gain control, making even more sense.

Remembering that when cascaded, the other input is out of circuit.

I tried it both ways and as I find I use the TMB more then the normal channel that I have the cascade from TMB to normal. However I think that how you voice your channels is going to deceide it for you.

Tele's make the best noise

PostPosted: Fri Mar 11, 2011 1:22 pm 
Experienced
Experienced

Taz13 wrote:
I tried it both ways and as I find I use the TMB more then the normal channel that I have the cascade from TMB to normal. However I think that how you voice your channels is going to deceide it for you.
Right and in my case I do not have the normal channel tone knob and I have the channel inputs internally jumpered from normal to TMB. When using the cascade I use the normal gain as the pre gain and the TMB gain as the 'main' gain if you will and then I still have the TMB master volume (pre PI) to control the overall volume.

PostPosted: Fri Mar 11, 2011 2:46 pm 
Expert
Expert

The issue is this. When you are overdriving a stage, you need to limit the bass coming in to the stage, so as not to get mush. So it's not a great idea to insert another gain stage after the tone stack, which can increase the relative level of bass. At the same time it's usually more convenient for most folks to be able to plug into the higher gain TMB channel and be using that when not in cascaded mode. The ideal solution would be therefore to insert the Normal channel in between the first and second preamp stages for cascaded operation. This is the way it happens with a real 1959 or 1987 Plexi.

PostPosted: Fri Mar 11, 2011 5:03 pm 
Novice
Novice

This is VERY quick-n-dirty-n-simplified, but would something along these lines work?

- This Space For Rent -

Last edited by b0b0 on Sat Mar 12, 2011 1:24 am, edited 1 time in total.

PostPosted: Fri Mar 11, 2011 6:10 pm 
Experienced
Experienced

zaphod wrote:
The ideal solution would be therefore to insert the Normal channel in between the first and second preamp stages...
Of course that makes sense. Shows what kind of NOOB I am. Just disregard my last post please. :oops: It's a good thing I have you here to set me straight when my mind goes out the window. How 'bout another clip :D
http://www.unimind.us/Outa_Love.mp3
Edit: Bright channel only (no cascade) dimed, cathode bias, NFB OFF, boost ON

PostPosted: Fri Mar 11, 2011 9:37 pm 
Expert
Expert

Unimind wrote:
How 'bout another clip :D
http://www.unimind.us/Outa_Love.mp3
Edit: Bright channel only (no cascade) dimed, cathode bias, NFB OFF, boost ON

Nice!! :D OK, I can hear reverb added in the mix. Were you using the boost pedal with this clip as well, or not?

PostPosted: Fri Mar 11, 2011 9:41 pm 
Experienced
Experienced

zaphod wrote:
Were you using the boost pedal with this clip as well, or not?
Nope. Just guitar straight in.

PostPosted: Sat Mar 12, 2011 2:22 am 
Expert
Expert

b0b0 wrote:
This is VERY quick-n-dirty-n-simplified, but would something along these lines work?
http://i1138.photobucket.com/albums/n54 ... ascade.png

Nearly, but not quite, as you then end up with the "B" inout of the PI floating in the air, when it actually needs to be grounded.

Allso, after some more thought, I've come to the conclusion that the amp will work fine in cascaded mode, with the TMB section being placed in front of the Normal channel section. This is due to the reduced cap values Unimind has used in his modded Norma; channel, wich help keep the bass in check.

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 170 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5 ... 9  Next