It is currently Tue Jul 16, 2024 7:23 pm

All times are UTC - 5 hours [ DST ]

Post subject: Re: Dual Rectifier
PostPosted: Fri Mar 18, 2011 10:32 am 
Friend
Friend

Unimind wrote:
ForcedFire wrote:
Are you sure you were set to cathode bias when you had trouble with the VVR? You need a dual gang pot to use a VVR on fixed bias, like the Dana Hall VVR2 or 3.
Well yes I was. But again I am not using the VRM to scale the amp. Just using it to lower the B+ coming off the SS recto before the standby switch. And I should add that this is not a Hall VRM. It's a DIY VVR based on Stephen's VVR.

ForcedFire wrote:
... then stick a big filter cap and bleeder resistor (or 2 in series) to ground between the diodes and the ... standby.
I think that is what I was/am missing. Any thoughts on exact size/values of caps and resistors to use there?

Oh yeah, I overlooked how you were using it. I`m doing the same thing actually but I`m going to add the dual gang pot so I can play with the VVR. I found an old Hammond M-3 organ power transformer on kijiji (Canadian CL) that I`m making a 6V6 Trainwreck express out of and I`m pretty sure I need the VVR to drop the B+.

I know you built your own VVR, I am as well. I was just using the other one as an example of one that tracks the fixed bias voltage at the time as lowering B+.

As for the size of the caps you can go pretty big on the solid state rectifier side. You`re probably limited by space in the chassis. I`m just going close to the old Trainwreck pdf, I bought a couple of radial 150uF 450V caps to put in series on a little board with a parallel bleeder on each cap around 220k 2W.

Post subject: Re: Dual Rectifier
PostPosted: Fri Mar 18, 2011 12:38 pm 
Experienced
Experienced

ForcedFire wrote:
I know you built your own VVR, I am as well. I was just using the other one as an example of one that tracks the fixed bias voltage at the time as lowering B+.
I thought about adding another dual VVR on the amp for the power scaling and it would scale the bias as well but with my attenuator I really don't need it.
ForcedFire wrote:
As for the size of the caps you can go pretty big on the solid state rectifier side. You`re probably limited by space in the chassis. I`m just going close to the old Trainwreck pdf, I bought a couple of radial 150uF 450V caps to put in series on a little board with a parallel bleeder on each cap around 220k 2W.
Yeah I went back and looked at the 1959 circuit and they have a pair of 100uf 450v on the mains. I would just need to add another small board for them.

http://www.soundclick.com/unimind