Trinity Amps Guitar Amp Forum
It is currently Wed Jul 17, 2024 3:28 pm

All times are UTC - 5 hours [ DST ]

Post subject: Help with speaker
PostPosted: Sat Apr 09, 2011 2:43 pm 
Friend
Friend

Hello all,

I am thinking about speakers for my Plexi.. I know Trinity recommends ToneTubby, but I first wanted to look for some nice used speakers here in Europe. Unfortunately, I don't have the possibility to test some speakers, so mostly I check out stuff in online. Now, I saw a Celestion G12H 16 Ohm 30 Watts 75 Hz from 1977. The frame is a T1217 (?), I really don't know if this is significant or not. Here is a picture of the speaker:
http://i703.photobucket.com/albums/ww40 ... tion77.jpg

Is this a good option?
How would a new G12H 30 compare to this one? And how about a G12H30 70th Anniversary? Are there significant differences or are they similar and a speaker from the 70ies is just nothing special at all? How does Tone Tubby compare to such a Celestion from the 70ies or to the UK made G12H30 (I assume the 70th Anniversary G12H30 is made in China?).

Post subject: Re: Help with speaker
PostPosted: Sat Apr 09, 2011 2:46 pm 
Friend
Friend

I forgot:
I said speakers, as I think about making a 2x12 Combo.. the second speaker will/should probably be a Alnico.. But actually I am quite happy about any suggestions, if anybody has one. Probably, for the beginning one speaker is enough, and I wanted this one to be 16 Ohms, as I read quite a lot that those sound best..

PostPosted: Sat Apr 09, 2011 3:23 pm 
Experienced
Experienced

viewtopic.php?f=2&t=2113

Check the link out.

Tele's make the best noise

PostPosted: Sat Apr 09, 2011 4:28 pm 
Friend
Friend

Thanks, the Celestion G12H30 70th anniversary is not bad at all. I like the sound. I must also say that I liked the Jensen P12n.
But would a speaker rated 50 W like the Jensen and a Celestion g12H rated 30 Watt be too much for a 18 Watt amp? I mean, wouldn't a Celestion alnico blue with 15 Watt be a better companion to a G12H 30 Watt? Aren't the 50 Watt to much?

And how different would a 1970ies Celestion G12H30 sound in comparison to this 70th anniversary model or the UK-made model? Any differences?
What are the combinations people have used in the past that just have been proven to be always good?
I have read that an Alnico Blue and a G12H30 make a good 2x12. Also, is it true that a Celestion Vintage 30 and a G12H30 make a good combination?
Are there other combinations that just can't go wrong? How about a Celestion G12H30 and a Jensen P12N? It seems to me, that a darker and brighter speaker are always paired in such a 2x12 combination. How would a Tone Tubby Alnico work with a Celestion G12H30 (70th anniversary or UK-made)?
If somebody has made several tests with different speaker combinations please share your thoughts. Thanks.

PostPosted: Sat Apr 09, 2011 5:16 pm 
Novice
Novice

So far I have tried : A BBQ Silver bell and an Eminence RedFang...... 2 Celestion g12 h ...... 2 Celestion g12 h Heritage......
BBQ Blue Dog and BBQ Silver Bell.

My favorite so far is the 2 G12H Heritage Celestions. Very very nice. Coming in a close second would be the BBQ Blue dog, Silver bell mix. (both ceramics BTW)

This amp already compresses quite a good bit, fairly soft. I think thats why I'm not as fond of the Red Fang in this amp. Its an alnico, and adds more softness to the attack at volume. I know alot of folks like that, and I do too, to a certain extent, but there is a limit for me.

PostPosted: Wed Apr 13, 2011 1:09 pm 
Novice
Novice

hi,
Just thought i'd say i tried the g12h anniversary in a 1x12 combo and really liked it, it was good for cutting through at gig level (tmb side) but just needs to be a bit louder for me.
Then i bought a couple of old 70's g12h's and they sound fantastic to me at home.
I tried the pair of them at a gig in seperate 1x12 combo cabs in the normal channel
and they didn't cut through, i was gutted btw.
Conclusion the 7o's g12h was warmer sounding and gets the classic rock tone then
turn the gain up and you get the guns tone which is as much as i want.
I'm probably going the 36 watt and 2x12 route so i can turn it up as the sound in the tmb side
is so good with those speakers.
Hope that helps.

PostPosted: Thu Apr 14, 2011 12:07 am 
Expert
Expert

Goran wrote:
I said speakers, as I think about making a 2x12 Combo.. the second speaker will/should probably be a Alnico.. Probably, for the beginning one speaker is enough

Don't have an Alnico as your only speaker. Most alnico speakers have quite a bright sound, and EL84s are also naturally bright sounding tubes. So the end result can be ice-picky. In combination with something darker, like a G12H-30, it's another matter.

Goran wrote:
I wanted this one to be 16 Ohms, as I read quite a lot that those sound best..

I don't see any evidence for that. You will get slightly more of the very high end frequencies coming through the OT on the 16 ohm winding, but it's a matter of personal taste whether that is "better" or not.

Goran wrote:
the Celestion G12H30 70th anniversary is not bad at all. I like the sound. I must also say that I liked the Jensen P12n. But would a speaker rated 50 W like the Jensen and a Celestion g12H rated 30 Watt be too much for a 18 Watt amp? I mean, wouldn't a Celestion alnico blue with 15 Watt be a better companion to a G12H 30 Watt? Aren't the 50 Watt to much?

It's not too high for the amp. Just you will get less speaker distortion with high wattage rated speakers.

Goran wrote:
And how different would a 1970ies Celestion G12H30 sound in comparison to this 70th anniversary model or the UK-made model? Any differences?

An older speaker will sound mellower. Also you need to check whether a vintage G12H-30 has the 75Hz "Lead" cone or the 55Hz "Bass" cone. The 55Hz version is darker and mellower at the high end, which I personally prefer. The Anniversary G12H-30 has a 75Hz cone, while the Made in England G12H-30 "Heritage" version has the 55Hz cone.

Goran wrote:
What are the combinations people have used in the past that just have been proven to be always good? I have read that an Alnico Blue and a G12H30 make a good 2x12. Also, is it true that a Celestion Vintage 30 and a G12H30 make a good combination?

Yes, those are both good combinations, especially if the G12H-30 has a 55Hz cone. With th V30 it will be more punchy.
Goran wrote:
Are there other combinations that just can't go wrong? How about a Celestion G12H30 and a Jensen P12N? It seems to me, that a darker and brighter speaker are always paired in such a 2x12 combination. How would a Tone Tubby Alnico work with a Celestion G12H30 (70th anniversary or UK-made)?

Yes, that would sound pretty nice! Also if you can get Eminence speakers in Croatia, you might like to consider the Wizard as an alternative for the G12H-30, the Red Fang as an alternative for the Alnico Blue and the Guvnor as an alternative for the V30. Also be aware that these are all a bit louder than their Celestion equivalents.

plexiblues wrote:
Then i bought a couple of old 70's g12h's and they sound fantastic to me at home.
I tried the pair of them at a gig in seperate 1x12 combo cabs in the normal channel
and they didn't cut through, i was gutted btw.

You should have put them into a closed back 2X12 cab. Then you would have really got lots of volume level from them. Or a "detuned" 4X12 cab - ie a 4X12 with two of the speaker holes left empty, so the sound from the back of the speaker cones comes out the front of the cab and adds t the overall volume level. If that's not loud enough for you, then your hearing is going to get like Pete Townshend's.