trinityamps.com

Trinity Amps Guitar Amp Forum
It is currently Sat Sep 28, 2024 10:11 am

All times are UTC - 5 hours [ DST ]

PostPosted: Mon Aug 08, 2011 2:07 pm 
Experienced
Experienced

Since my last batch of questions, I've gotten a little further in the build:
- completely finished the board (minus all the flying leads - want to be more particular than a generic 9" for each, so I'll tackle those later)
- basically wired up the entire power end of the chassis (IEC, fuse, power switch, standby switch, indicator, rectifier tube socket)

As I work my way to the left (chassis in cradle with the rear facing me; convenient, plus it's sort of how the layout drawing looks), I have run into some questions.

1) This one is just curiosity. The instructions say to tie off a couple of transformer wires (black/red and yellow/white, IIRC). The pics I downloaded show this, but I've noticed that the layout actually shows those wires terminating at a pair of unused lugs on the strip that is used for the heater wires. I supppose it really doesn't matter, but I'm curious what the preferred method is for most that have tackled Trinity 18 builds? Is it better to tie up those wires and have a wad of wire that goes nowhere? Or, is it better to neatly trim them and have them soldered to the unused lugs for some unknown future use? I supppose I'll never use them anyway, but one method leaves a little extra "spaghetti" in the chassis while the other looks cleaner, but leaves some unused, but exposed "hot spots".

2) Speaking of those wires, the layout drawing identifies the wire to be tied off on the switch side of the transformer as black/red. My kit did NOT have such a wire. It was black/yellow. By elimination (and by location), it seemed pretty obvious that I tied off the correct wire, but I just want a sanity check. Two greens to the heaters. The green/yellow to ground. The solid black and the black/white easily identified going up toward the switches and pilot light, etc. That just left the one wire. Just weird it doesn't match the layout. Does the layout simply need to be updated?

3) Board question. Although I built up the board a couple weeks ago, something did jump out at me when looking at the layout as it pertains to the big triple ground lug centered between the transformer, the end of the board, the switches and the rectifier tube. The layout drawing shows a dotted green line connecting the lugs on the end of those big Xicon resistors at the end of the board. The last resistor then shows a solid green wire headed to that ground lug. This seems a no-brainer, indicating they are parallel to ground. But oddly enough, when I look at any of a number of pics I downloaded showing the underside of the board, this wire is left off. It also doesn't show up as a potential turret connection on the pics of the top of the board. Why is that?
4) Hardware question. This is my first foray into messing around with any of these Marshall style components (weird power switches, plastic jacks, etc.). Pedals and American amps tend to have different switches and jacks. Because I'm paranoid and don't want to screw up even minor stuff, I have a question. What's the best way to tighten the power and standby switch with those thumb knurls? Do people actually use some sort of tool on the knurl, or is my (hopefully logical) guess of just tightening from the other side the usual method?

Thanks,
Robert

PostPosted: Mon Aug 08, 2011 3:16 pm 
Expert
Expert

1. Doesn't matter. Bring it to the terminal strip.
2. Correct
3. Your probably not looking at v6 pictures. Just make sure those 2 resistors and 2 caps are grounded.
4. There is a special tool but you don't really need it. Just tighten the jack from the inside of the chassis. A needle nose will fit in.

PostPosted: Mon Aug 08, 2011 3:22 pm 
Experienced
Experienced

kurtlives wrote:
1. Doesn't matter. Bring it to the terminal strip.
2. Correct
3. Your probably not looking at v6 pictures. Just make sure those 2 resistors and 2 caps are grounded.
4. There is a special tool but you don't really need it. Just tighten the jack from the inside of the chassis. A needle nose will fit in.

Thanks for the response!

1) OK, will probably do that in my next build session.

2) Thanks.

3) Cool. I did do the wire, since they seemed to need to go to ground somewhere. Are there some v6 pictures I've missed somewhere on this site?

4) Thanks.