trinityamps.com

Trinity Amps Guitar Amp Forum
It is currently Wed Jul 17, 2024 6:15 am

All times are UTC - 5 hours [ DST ]

Post subject: Reverb pedal.
PostPosted: Mon Aug 01, 2011 3:33 pm 
Friend
Friend

I am thinking of getting a reverb pedal for my Tramp. Would like to know what other people have tried or are using on their Tramps and how they like them. Thanks in advance. :D

Post subject: Re: Reverb pedal.
PostPosted: Mon Aug 01, 2011 5:51 pm 
Novice
Novice

Hello Dave

I'm spending more time landscaping my back yard than playing my guitar and Tramp. However I have tried using the reverb from an old Zoom 1010 multieffect pedal. It sounded good but I have used reverb only once with the Tramp.

Usually I am addicted to reverb, but for the first time in my life I have an amp (Tramp) that sounds good by itself without effects.

There is a kind of natural swirl in the Tramp tone that is sufficient in itself.

I have tried adding a Boss CE-2 Chorus pedal too, just for fun. Sounds good but not necessary.

If price was no object, my first choice for a reverb for the Tramp would be a Fender spring reverb. On the digital side of things, I think Digitech makes a good reverb but there is a lot of choice among other makes.

PostPosted: Tue Aug 02, 2011 9:07 am 
Friend
Friend

Before I had to remove the amp and speaker while I am covering the cabinet, I did try my EH Holy Grail plus with the Tramp. To my ears it sounded good - not quite tube reverb great but good enough for me. I have to agree with Gotie, I was having more fun just playing straight into the amp with a Strat. The Tramp seems so responsive and quiet at reasonable levels when compared to my Marshall or Fender amps (probably because I can't crank those). The Holy Grail plus is reasonably priced and is true bypass. I am sure you can find better but maybe not at the same price point. I will also say the Tramp also responds well to some of the my other pedals, especially my OCD.

PostPosted: Wed Aug 03, 2011 1:12 pm 
Friend
Friend

Did you build your tramp or buy it. If you're a builder you can build the fender 6g15 spring reverb. I used the triode kit and love it.

PostPosted: Thu Aug 04, 2011 4:49 pm 
Friend
Friend

ForcedFire wrote:
Did you build your tramp or buy it. If you're a builder you can build the fender 6g15 spring reverb. I used the triode kit and love it.

I built my tramp. How difficult is the fender 6g15 spring reverb build compared to the tramp?

PostPosted: Fri Aug 05, 2011 11:55 am 
Friend
Friend

Dave6789 wrote:
ForcedFire wrote:

I built my tramp. How difficult is the fender 6g15 spring reverb build compared to the tramp?

It's very similar. The triode kit does not have an eyelet or turret board, or chassis. You could buy those things though, would make it much easier. It's basically the same as building the champ or tramp but it also has a choke (no big deal) and send return for the reverb. The key to getting it running properly is the grounding scheme. I used the triode layout and it worked great, no hum problems.

Here's mine: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=jVQmC1PLqhQ (video's for a pedal but you can hear the reverb clean at one point).

PostPosted: Fri Aug 12, 2011 5:49 pm 
Experienced
Experienced

For very little cost, you could pick up one of those Boss FRV-1 '63 Fender Reverb pedals. Typical little boss stompbox that takes up little space and mimics an old outboard reverb unit with the usual three controls: Mix, Tone and Dwell. Easy and cheap.

Or, for something freakier, there's the BOSS FDR-1 Fender '65 Deluxe Reverb pedal. It's the little black pedal that sort of mimics an old BF Fender Deluxe Reverb. Even if you don't care about the preamp aspect of it, there's both reverb and tremolo. With the preamp bit, you are basically adding another channel to your Tramp. Of course, the drawback would seem to be that you can't completely avoid the preamp.

Outside of these weird suggestions, there's a boatload of little reverb pedals out there. Heck, with a decent delay dialed to short repeats and a light mix, you wouldn't even need reverb anyway.

PostPosted: Sun Aug 21, 2011 2:43 pm 
Friend
Friend

Thanks everyone for their help. I think I am going to stay with the diy theme and build my own pedal. I am looking at the " Echo Base" right now and will probably go with that one. It is not a reverb, but a delay. If this works out, then I will try a reverb pedal. :D

PostPosted: Mon Sep 05, 2011 2:35 am 
Experienced
Experienced

FWIW, after trying a bunch of reverb pedals, my favourite with the Tramp is my Boss FRV-1 Fender Reverb. The tone of the pedal just seems to match the tone of the amp for me...

www.slyfichapel.com

PostPosted: Fri Sep 23, 2011 12:33 pm 
Friend
Friend

Just an update. I ended up building the Robote 2.5 delay pedal. I find it really sounds great with the Tramp. It was a fun project and the cost was just a little over $20.00 to build. Now I will try a reverb pedal later this fall. Attached is a pic of the Delay pedal I built. I still have to print out Decals to replace the green masking tape :)

Attachments:
003.JPG
003.JPG [ 675.27 KiB | Viewed 14329 times ]

PostPosted: Sat Sep 24, 2011 4:01 pm 
Expert
Expert

I'm using a clone of a Boss DM-2 pedal, which is a lot of fun and covers a lot of bases in terms of echo, reverb, delay, etc.

Having said that, I have to say I pretty much hate reverb being used with guitar, except at the board to add some airiness into the overall mix. IMO reverb can really spoil the tone of the guitar, and with more "alive" amps like the Tramp, isn't really needed. Of course, if you're playing a musical genre that requires reverb, such as Dick Dale surf, then it's a somewhat different matter.

Edit: Here for example is a guitar solo which IMO would have sounded so much better without the reverb - http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=YkZN8wrZctA

PostPosted: Tue Oct 09, 2012 6:48 pm 
Experienced
Experienced

I just tried a Dr Scientist Mini Reverberator with my Tramp and love it, I'd previously never heard of Dr Scientist pedals but I'm impressed now. The reverb sounds are really beautiful and can be blended to taste with the unaltered Dry signal, it has a clean Boost with 20db boost and also a Rotary Speaker (Leslie) simulator as one of the selections. Before trying it, I had my doubts about how effective Leslie sim could be, but now after trying with the band it does the job great for songs like Cold Shot. The build quality, attention to detail and finish is awesome, the best I've ever seen on a pedal actually, it's not a cheap pedal but I think as with most things you get what you pay for.

Most of you guys on the forum seem to be from Canada, so it'll probably be of interest to you that it's Made In Canada too.

Anyway, it gets on great with the Tramp and it effectively replaced 3 pedals on my board, Reverb, Boost and Rotary Speaker.

Snowy

Last edited by No457 Snowy on Wed Nov 04, 2020 1:59 am, edited 1 time in total.

PostPosted: Tue Oct 09, 2012 8:29 pm 
Experienced
Experienced

Where'd you score it?

PostPosted: Tue Oct 09, 2012 8:52 pm 
Experienced
Experienced

Hey Stoo, probably no help to you at all but I got it from Deluxe Guitars in Melbourne . (I live in Australia :thumbsup: )

I thought I'd mention it was made in Canada because I know a lot of you guys hanging out in here are Canadians.

Here's the store locator from the Dr Scientist website.
http://www.drscientist.ca/stores

Here's their product info on the Reverberator.
http://www.drscientist.ca/pedals/rev

Snowy

PostPosted: Tue Oct 09, 2012 11:07 pm 
Experienced
Experienced

Cheers mate! ;)