trinityamps.com

Trinity Amps Guitar Amp Forum
It is currently Thu Jul 18, 2024 6:24 am

All times are UTC - 5 hours [ DST ]

PostPosted: Thu Nov 10, 2011 10:02 pm 

Hey guys, just finished up the TC15 and fired it up but did not get any sound from any of the inputs. no hum, no nothing. So I started to check some plate voltages and on V6(rectifier) I did not get hardly anything from pin 8 where i should have got around 300va, but instead I got it on pin 4. I have looked up and down this thing and I have all the correct wires going to the pins according to my layout. Out of the power transformer I have the two red wires going to pins 4 and 6, yellow going to pin 2 and yellow/white going to pin 8 with a wire going out to standby switch.
Anyone know why this would be and if this would be my reason for no sound? Thanks guys!

PostPosted: Fri Nov 11, 2011 4:41 pm 
Holy Ghost
Holy Ghost

Did you follow the start-up procedure? Checking AC voltage levels, with no tubes etc?
If so what is your B+ as compared to the layout?

PostPosted: Fri Nov 11, 2011 5:59 pm 

No :( . I should know better, but I got antsy. I started checking them after I didn't get any sound from the amp. I don't have anything at B+. Why would i have voltage on pin 4 and not 8 of V6?

PostPosted: Sat Nov 12, 2011 12:51 am 
Holy Ghost
Holy Ghost

Go back and do the start-up please & let us know what you observe, take measurements etc.

PostPosted: Sun Dec 04, 2011 7:24 pm 

Hey coco, Been busy but finally got around to messing with the amp again. I did the start up in the instruction manual and took measurements. Started out with no tubes and all voltages were good( disregard what i said earlier about the rectifier socket voltages) My B+ is 384v. I measured all voltages on the tube sockets, everything was good and with tubes in, they are all pretty much spot on with the diagram that is posted in the TC-15 docs in the resource section. I have looked everything over multiple times and all my wires are good, board is good, but I still cannot get any sound. Here are some pics, maybe someone else can spot something I am overlooking or chime in with any ideas, Thanks guys!!

Attachments:
DSC_3237.JPG
DSC_3237.JPG [ 1.52 MiB | Viewed 10629 times ]
DSC_3238.JPG
DSC_3238.JPG [ 1.42 MiB | Viewed 10629 times ]
DSC_3239.JPG
DSC_3239.JPG [ 1.53 MiB | Viewed 10629 times ]

PostPosted: Tue Dec 06, 2011 12:48 pm 
Holy Ghost
Holy Ghost

Is the impedance switch conected correctly? The blue line goes to acenter pole of the switch.

Is there any hum at all out the speakers?

If you touch the grids of V1, do you hear a pop or click?

PostPosted: Tue Dec 06, 2011 3:14 pm 
Novice
Novice

Quote:
If you touch the grids of V1....

With the probe, NOT with your fingers....the amp being plugged in & powered on & all....... :bugeye:

- This Space For Rent -

PostPosted: Tue Dec 06, 2011 7:44 pm 
Holy Ghost
Holy Ghost

YIKES, :jawdrop:
Yes, just try a small, insulated screwdriver, or piece of insulated wire to touch the pin. Touch the metal end and see what happens.

PostPosted: Tue Dec 06, 2011 7:56 pm 

Yep, blue wire is going to A on the impedance switch. No there is no hum or anything from the speakers. I poked around on v1 (with insulated screwdriver lol) and did not get any pops or sound.

PostPosted: Wed Dec 07, 2011 10:35 pm 
Holy Ghost
Holy Ghost

I dont like the sound of that. (no hum at all). You said all the voltsage were good, even the EL84, so, bypass the impedance switch. Move the blue wire to the OT (say 8 ohm) lead.
Just confirming the switch is wired correctly. Unless you know for sure.

PostPosted: Thu Dec 08, 2011 10:50 pm 

Got it working!!!! the impedance switch was funky. I had my tang washer on the impedance switch set for three positions and i had the output tranny wires going to pins 1,2,and 3 of the impedance switch but those were not getting anything; So i put my meter on ohms and measured resistance and pins 4,5,and 6 were the ones getting some, so i put the wires onto them and bingo, it worked. Thanks for all the help and troubleshooting and tips!!! This thing is amazing, I think my Marshall 18 watter and Fender prosonic are going to feel a little neglected for a while, haha.

PostPosted: Fri Dec 09, 2011 9:41 am 
Holy Ghost
Holy Ghost

Great news. :thumbsup:

I have to say, you must be lucky because I think you basically ran the OT without a load while you tested.

Congrats!