trinityamps.com

Trinity Amps Guitar Amp Forum
It is currently Tue Jul 16, 2024 6:05 pm

All times are UTC - 5 hours [ DST ]

PostPosted: Wed Aug 01, 2012 9:37 am 

Hi all, I am a proud and very satisfied 3 year owner of a Trinity18 watt plexi TMB build. This amp is amazing and his pretty much been my main amp ever since I built it It was my first build of an amp of any type. I was very proud of the results and Stephen was very helpful and I could not have completed the build without his kit instructions and help via email. If your considering one of these amps I would not hesitate. They are the real thing. I am a total tone freak, very picky about what I play and the quality of everything. Well I used to be. Now I'm laid back and just play. I love this amp.

However, when I originally built the amp, ch1 was not working. The only problem I could troubleshoot was that the vol pot for ch1 read 0.. I figured it was a bad pot to begin with since I made the mistake of not double checking the pot values with a meter before putting them in place. I was so happy to get the amp working that I just left things as they were and have been satisfied with the 2nd channel all this time. I really should fix ch1 though. Again, being a novice, only building a few pedals prior to this kit, I felt very nervous about going in and unsoldering all the parts wires to the ch1 pot. There is a lot going on there, and I was meticulously careful in putting it all together. Again, I assumed that the pot is bad. I just didn't have the heart to undo anything.

However, I was looking over some old notes and I found a remark suggesting that the pot may be ok but just shorted.

I have not really been inside this amp in 3 years. I have only had to change the EL84's once. I used a set of Holland NOS tubes for about 2 years and now I am getting by on a pair of cheaper new stock tubes.

Can you guys give me some tips on how to go about trouble shooting the pot. I guess I need to determine a shorted pot verses a bad pot? I need to familiarize myself with the circuit again so I have some homework to do. Please give me any help or suggestions you have.

Thank-you.

Fuzzylogic

PostPosted: Wed Aug 01, 2012 12:55 pm 
Experienced
Experienced

Which channel are you referring to the TMB or the "normal" channel. Also are you sure it's a pot problem? Have you trouble shot the affected channel? If you think it's the pot itself you can measure across the 1+3 lugs of the pot and check the resistance. On a lot of instances other components in the circuit will be in parallel with the pot so you need to take that into the equation. Have a look in the resource section under plexi 18 watt and look at the schematic and let us know which pot you are concerned about VR1, VR7 or VR3.

PostPosted: Fri Aug 03, 2012 10:22 am 

The channel that does not work is the normal channel. When I measure the resistance of VR1. When I measure the resistance between 1 and 3 lugs I get a value of 0. The other pots measure out at there proper values. As far as troubleshooting the normal channel, all I did was make sure everything was connected correctly and that I had continuity. Outside of that I am not really sure what to check. Please let me know what you think, I have plenty of pics too.

Thanks,

Jason

PostPosted: Fri Aug 03, 2012 10:45 am 
Expert
Expert

Did you take the pot out to measure it?

Pics would help yes.

PostPosted: Fri Aug 03, 2012 11:44 am 
Experienced
Experienced

Yup pix please! It's rare to have a pot short,usually they go open. better possibility is there is a problem with the associated wiring

PostPosted: Sun Aug 05, 2012 11:34 pm 
Holy Ghost
Holy Ghost

kurtlives wrote:
Did you take the pot out to measure it?

Pics would help yes.

At least disconnect it to measure.