trinityamps.com

Trinity Amps Guitar Amp Forum
It is currently Tue Jul 16, 2024 1:24 pm

All times are UTC - 5 hours [ DST ]

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 170 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9  Next
 Post subject: Re: Plexi Brown Mods
PostPosted: Sun Aug 07, 2011 9:02 pm 
Expert
Expert

A higher voltage at the PI cathodes is nothing to be concerned about. It just means a bit less drive is hitting your power tube grids, since the PI's "flloor level" is now around 90V instead of 75V. If you want you could use a 47k PI tail resistor, instead of 56k, to bring it down a little. The traditional Marshall value for this resistor is in fact 47k.

Having said that, this has got nothing to do with any hiss or buzziness problems you may be worried about.

Have a you tried the Zobel filter mod yet? Just make sure to use a non-polarised electrolytic cap for the filter, of the kind used in hi-fi speaker crossovers.

PostPosted: Wed Aug 10, 2011 8:37 am 
Holy Ghost
Holy Ghost

Put the design into the Resource section: viewtopic.php?f=12&t=3007

PostPosted: Wed Aug 10, 2011 11:13 pm 
Experienced
Experienced

coco wrote:
Put the design into the Resource section: viewtopic.php?f=12&t=3007
On the non-cascaded version, you may want to put V1b bypass cap (C16) back to 47uf or 220uf, whatever it should be, and the V1b coupling cap (C15) back to .022uf. Those components were only changed to tighten the bass when cascading channels.

http://www.soundclick.com/unimind

PostPosted: Mon Jan 09, 2012 2:38 pm 
Holy Ghost
Holy Ghost

Just curious as to which mods, in priority, you would suggest for someonw who wants to tweak, just a little? These would be the key ones that got you closest - fastest.

PostPosted: Mon Jan 09, 2012 10:03 pm 
Experienced
Experienced

1. Tone stack - C3 and R11
2. V1a Coupling cap - C1
3. Voltage divider - R8, R42 and C20
4. Boost - C20
5. Follower (tail?) - R10
6. Power amp - C8, C9, C10 and C21

Prepare yourself for a ton of gain. :)

PostPosted: Tue Jan 10, 2012 8:15 pm 
Holy Ghost
Holy Ghost

Interesting. Tone stack first.

PostPosted: Wed Jan 11, 2012 1:59 am 
Experienced
Experienced

coco wrote:
Interesting. Tone stack first.

That was really just the way I did it. The very first clip I posted was the stock Trinity Plexi but with the tone stack mods. Plugged into the TMB channel, turned everything up to 10 except bass on 0. http://www.unimind.us/TrinityPlexi1.mp3

Then I did mods 2 and 3. Then 4 and 5. Then 6. Based on the list I posted above. I think 1,2 and 3 do most of the "brown" tone shaping. 4, 5 and 6 help to refine the tone.

PostPosted: Wed Jan 11, 2012 2:14 am 
Experienced
Experienced

Oh yeah. Another recent change in the last 2 weeks or so. I changed the PI tail resistor R15 from 470R to 820R like on the sIII and TMB. I think that finally brought the fizz/buzz under control. At least until my over sensitive ears find more fizz. :roll:

PostPosted: Tue Jan 17, 2012 12:02 am 
Expert
Expert

820 ohms is the original value used in the 18W PI. 470 ohms is indeed a bit hotter, and also gives some crunchy Plexi-style distortion. Perhaps the extra gain with the 470 ohm resistor is a little too much with EL84s, when the preamp is also cascaded for extra gain. It might be interesting to see what would happen if 6V6s or 6CM6s were used in instead of EL84s, staying with the 470 ohm PI cathode resistor.

PostPosted: Tue Jan 17, 2012 1:29 am 
Experienced
Experienced

Edit: See "Plexi brown - fizzie when dimed" thread. viewtopic.php?f=7&t=2978&start=80

PostPosted: Sun Jul 08, 2012 11:03 pm 
Expert
Expert

Layout and schem show V1 having 820R and 2K7 cathode resistors but mod notes make no mention of changing one of the 2K7s (stock) to 820R.

The voltage divider cap network has 470K/470K/330pF on the notes but 470K/1M/330pF on the layout.

Notes mention removing R34, one of the boost resistors. Layout and schem still show this resistor.

Also layout shows 100K grid leak resistors on the power tubes. I see no notes of this on the mod list.

PostPosted: Mon Jul 09, 2012 9:35 pm 
Experienced
Experienced

kurtlives wrote:
Layout and schem show V1 having 820R and 2K7 cathode resistors but mod notes make no mention of changing one of the 2K7s (stock) to 820R.
I Had put in the 2k7 to try and reduce a little front end gain to help with the fizzie problem. Although it helped a little, I have recently gone back to the 820r.

kurtlives wrote:
The voltage divider cap network has 470K/470K/330pF on the notes but 470K/1M/330pF on the layout.
Again the 1M is to help reduce gain. It should be fine with the 470k.

kurtlives wrote:
Notes mention removing R34, one of the boost resistors. Layout and schem still show this resistor.
Not sure what notes you are referring to but I have removed it and just have an 820R or maybe 1.2K (can't remember) for R9. My boost switch is now a "FAT" switch where it switches between .68uf and 330uf at C20.

kurtlives wrote:
Also layout shows 100K grid leak resistors on the power tubes. I see no notes of this on the mod list.
Another gain reducer to help with fizzie problem. These brown mods produced a lot of gain on the front end and were slamming the el84s. If you do not have high output PUPs you should be fine with the stock values of 470K. Although I would maybe go down a little like to 330K because you will be driving the 84s harder.

PostPosted: Mon Jul 09, 2012 10:23 pm 
Expert
Expert

Hi Les
Quote:
I Had put in the 2k7 to try and reduce a little front end gain to help with the fizzie problem. Although it helped a little, I have recently gone back to the 820r.

I am going to use the stock 820R then.

Quote:
Again the 1M is to help reduce gain. It should be fine with the 470k.

I will go with the 470K, it's 3dB more gain than the 1M. I will reduce gain later.

Quote:
Not sure what notes you are referring to but I have removed it and just have an 820R or maybe 1.2K (can't remember) for R9. My boost switch is now a "FAT" switch where it switches between .68uf and 330uf at C20.

Ok I will just go with a 2K7 resistor and a switch to take in/out in a 0.68uF cap.

Quote:
Another gain reducer to help with fizzie problem. These brown mods produced a lot of gain on the front end and were slamming the el84s. If you do not have high output PUPs you should be fine with the stock values of 470K. Although I would maybe go down a little like to 330K because you will be driving the 84s harder.

This amp will be used with a variety of guitars so I will go with the 100K grid leaks. I am also including the cascade switch so I think I will have more than enough gain!

Thanks!

PostPosted: Mon Jul 09, 2012 11:22 pm 
Experienced
Experienced

Yeah with all the gain reducing tweaks, I would start with the stock values and then reduce gain later if needed.

kurtlives wrote:
Quote:
Ok I will just go with a 2K7 resistor and a switch to take in/out in a 0.68uF cap.

Now the thing is if you still want the boost switch then you should have the .68uf across R34. If not then you will not hear much difference between boost or off. Or if you only go with a single resistor and just want to switch the .68uf cap in/out for the boost that will work as well.

PostPosted: Sat Jul 14, 2012 3:56 pm 
Expert
Expert

Unimind wrote:
Although I would maybe go down a little like to 330K because you will be driving the 84s harder.

I think 330k should be good here. Some of Richie Hall's higher gain 18W versions also use 330k. For those who don't know, Richie (aka "Plexi" on 18watt.com) was one of the main people who made the Marshall 18W revival happen.

PostPosted: Mon Aug 06, 2012 12:53 am 
Expert
Expert

While I was building the Plexi Brown I was worried about using 100K grid leaks on the output tubes. I thought it would kill too much gain.

Turns out the output impedance of each tube in the LTP is about 38.5K as I just calculated it. So the 38.5K making a voltage divider with the grid leaks is what attenuates gain. So turns out the different between 470K grid leaks and 100K grid leaks is like 2dB or so. The 100K probably subtlety smooths things out by lower gain.

Either way the Plexi Brown does have a bunch of gain!

PostPosted: Mon Aug 06, 2012 1:50 pm 
Expert
Expert

Unimind wrote:
zaphod wrote:
How are you doing the NFB? For NFB to be effective you have to make some fairly major changes to the PI and how the preamp channels are mixed together. If you only apply it to the PI tail it has close to no effect at all. In that case, 99.9% of the effect is from that 100pF across the PI output, as well as the 220k grid reference resistors. I have sometimes used the PI cap trick in my own builds.

Here is the schematic for my amp. http://www.unimind.us/images/Trinity18_ ... ematic.jpg
Are there other changes I need to make to the PI? Should I be using the 10k tail and 1M grid leaks from the 1959 circuit as well? I thought they mainly controlled the impendence and since I don't really understand all that yet I thought it best leave that the way it is. :?

The NFB works well as I have it. Takes the harsh edge off the top end. Lowers output a little.

-Les

Would the 1M grid leaks and 470/10k cathode/tail resistors be better suited to 6V6s?

PostPosted: Mon Aug 06, 2012 3:09 pm 
Experienced
Experienced

kurtlives wrote:
Unimind wrote:
zaphod wrote:
How are you doing the NFB? For NFB to be effective you have to make some fairly major changes to the PI and how the preamp channels are mixed together. If you only apply it to the PI tail it has close to no effect at all. In that case, 99.9% of the effect is from that 100pF across the PI output, as well as the 220k grid reference resistors. I have sometimes used the PI cap trick in my own builds.

Here is the schematic for my amp. http://www.unimind.us/images/Trinity18_ ... ematic.jpg
Are there other changes I need to make to the PI? Should I be using the 10k tail and 1M grid leaks from the 1959 circuit as well? I thought they mainly controlled the impendence and since I don't really understand all that yet I thought it best leave that the way it is. :?

The NFB works well as I have it. Takes the harsh edge off the top end. Lowers output a little.

-Les

Would the 1M grid leaks and 470/10k cathode/tail resistors be better suited to 6V6s?

My tube manual specs max 500k grid leaks for cathode bias.

PostPosted: Mon Aug 06, 2012 4:07 pm 
Expert
Expert

Good point!

Wonder if the 10K PI resistor would drive the output tubes too hard, 6V6 that is.

PostPosted: Sat Sep 08, 2012 11:09 pm 
Experienced
Experienced

Ok I have most of the parts for the brown mod. Still trying to pick a starting point

One question about r9 and the boost switch. In the layout for the plexi brown it seems that the .68 by pass cap is over the secondary 2.7k that's add to reduce the resistance to ~ 1.35 k. How about putting the bypass cap right across r9 always and then adding the second 2.7k as usual . Much of a difference ?

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 170 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9  Next