trinityamps.com

Trinity Amps Guitar Amp Forum
It is currently Tue Jul 16, 2024 2:25 pm

All times are UTC - 5 hours [ DST ]

PostPosted: Sat Sep 29, 2012 11:38 am 

Hi everyone, new to the forum and amp building. I built a TC15 and it was a lot of fun. I am now wanting to try something a little different for me and order all the components I will need to build another TC15 but with a few changes (i.e. no "crunch munch", add a choke). While looking for PT and OT I decided to go with mercury magnetics, I sent them the info of the heybor PT and OT I bought from trinity and explained the circuit and tubes being used. They suggested a PT, OT, and choke. They had also suggested to increase and use 320-0-320 B+ instead of 290-0-290. They said using a tube rectifier more B+ would give it a nice change and fuller sound. Would I need to make any changes in the circuit if I go with higher B+? And would these changes be advisable? I would also liike to try another build but minus the EF86 channel, but not on this build, and maybe that would need to be a different topic. Any thoughts on the higher B+ and other changes?

PostPosted: Fri Oct 05, 2012 12:55 am 
Expert
Expert

First of all let's dispense with this myth that Mercury Magnetics transformers are somehow superior - they're not. But they're great at marketing. ;) If you want a real solid quality transformer set with great tone, stay with Heyboer and don't throw away your money on MM.

Yes, you could use a higher voltage PT with a 5Y3 rectifier, and get a more saggy tone with roughly the same power level. Would be great for bluesy playing. (Just don't use a Sovtek 5Y3, or you really will get higher DC voltages. :shock: ) I suspect that MM tried to sell you on that particular PT because either (a) it was higher priced than a regular MM 18W PT or else (b) they have some excess stock they want to get rid of. Did I also mention, they're good at sales. :lol:

I would advise against otherwise trying to aim for higher DC voltages, as it will make the amp sound cleaner as well as somewhat more sterile. Of course maybe you want that kind of a vibe - in which case you would also need to use higher value cathode resistor on the EL84s - possibly around 180 ohms.

PostPosted: Fri Oct 05, 2012 10:07 am 

Thanks for the info! Like I said I am brand new to everything so any advice as to quality and just plain hype is of great value I do really appreciate it! As far as the prices go,I have no idea of what is a good price and where to even start looking. Found a couple sites for comanies who manufacture iron but MM had the largest site and most info so that's why I was looking there. I am sure they have a great sales pitch but also quick responses. Some of the other places didn't even get back to me with product info or anything. Anyway it is good to have people who know a lot and look out for inexperiecned people like myself.

I am looking for a cleaner sound and I will use higher value cathode resisters if I go a little higher with the DC.but will I need to change out to a 5Y3 it is a 5AR4 now? Thanks for all your help?

PostPosted: Fri Oct 05, 2012 11:55 pm 
Holy Ghost
Holy Ghost

With a 290 V PT, and our circuit, you get a high B+ in the 360v DC range. Under no circumstances can I see going higher.
MM is wrong. The TC 15 has a tube rectifier and gets those voltages. Don't go higher or you will be trying to figure out how to reduce the B+ Unless you use a real 5Y3 as zaphod suggested.
We do sell transformer sets for about half MM price ..

PostPosted: Thu Nov 08, 2012 9:51 am 
Expert
Expert

coco wrote:
MM is wrong.

+1

And they appear to be BS'ing you.