trinityamps.com

Trinity Amps Guitar Amp Forum
It is currently Tue Jul 16, 2024 7:12 pm

All times are UTC - 5 hours [ DST ]

PostPosted: Fri Nov 16, 2012 6:04 pm 
Novice
Novice

Speaker indecision. So, I have decided not to decide. I already have here a couple of Fender/eminence special design 12 inch ceramic speakers in a cabinet that I never use anymore. I think for testing this build that I will just pull one of those and put it in the cabinet to get the Tramp built, up and running. Then, instead of rushing into a purchase, I can take my time, play around with these eminence speakers; see what the amp does, and then make an informed decision about getting a good speaker that fits the Tramp's function in my studio.

PostPosted: Sat Nov 17, 2012 5:18 am 
Friend
Friend

I'm using a Vox Night Train 1x12 cab to test pretty much everything. It has a Celestion Greenback stock that's finally getting broken in and sounds great! I recently got a WGS Reaper 12" 16Ohm and put it in the cab... sounds nearly identical to my ears but a bit cheaper in price.

PostPosted: Sat Nov 17, 2012 10:15 am 
Novice
Novice

I've been using an Eminence Private Jack..their take on the greenback. Sounds very good and not expensive.

Jim

PostPosted: Tue Nov 20, 2012 1:31 pm 
Expert
Expert

As an FYI there's a thread on here somewhere from when I built my Tramp. I had loaded it with a 12" speaker (cut a new baffle myself). Even a 12" Eminence Red Fang with the bell fit in there with a 6L6 and I had no issues. There are pics in that thread.

It sounded FANTASTIC with the Red Fang, BTW, which is 50w.

PostPosted: Tue Nov 20, 2012 8:51 pm 
Novice
Novice

Cabinet arrived today. It is exactly as ordered. The chassis opening is 10x2.5 [10x2.75 including backpanel offset]. I put the chassis panel in to see if it fit and there is no cabinet overlap and perhaps less than a hair gap; so for those building their on cabs I would reduce the chassis opening by about 3/32 for a slight cabinet overlap; still I am very pleased The speaker opening was moved to the right for Tramp design & to fit a KT88 and Blue Dog down the road. Here are two pictures.

Attachments:
DSCN2070.JPG
DSCN2070.JPG [ 1.73 MiB | Viewed 5426 times ]
DSCN2072.JPG
DSCN2072.JPG [ 1.77 MiB | Viewed 5426 times ]

PostPosted: Tue Nov 20, 2012 10:20 pm 
Experienced
Experienced

The cab looks great. There's actually a lot of leeway/tolerance on the panel for knob throw and clearance of the LED to allow a lot of overlap so the chassis can slide under quite a ways before any "interference" with knobs/LED etc, becomes a problem. Even if you didn't allow the extra .25" for the panel I think you would have been fine.

Snowy

PostPosted: Mon Nov 26, 2012 10:58 pm 
Novice
Novice

I was able to pick up a used Blue Dog Ceramic 15 W. So that is what I am starting with. I also got a new KT88 to push the little dog around with.

PostPosted: Tue Nov 27, 2012 3:15 am 
Friend
Friend

Cecelius2 wrote:
I was able to pick up a used Blue Dog Ceramic 15 W. So that is what I am starting with. I also got a new KT88 to push the little dog around with.

I've pretty much settled on a Sovtek KT88 in my Tramp, it has a certain chime and musicality that the other tubes didn't quite possess; almost like some built in reverb which threw me for a bit of a loop. I had to check to make sure my Cathedral wasn't engaged... a couple times!