trinityamps.com

Trinity Amps Guitar Amp Forum
It is currently Tue Jul 16, 2024 10:48 am

All times are UTC - 5 hours [ DST ]

PostPosted: Mon Jun 10, 2013 11:51 pm 
Novice
Novice

I've had my amp up and running for a couple weeks now without any problems, but tonight, it started to act up in a very bizarre manner. Everything was fine for the first 90 minutes and then it started to get all static-y on some power chords held for a few seconds; but only for the deeper ones F-A on the E string. It was doing it on both high/low inputs on both channels. Anything higher than a C or so didn't seem to cause this to happen. Once I kick off the distortion pedal, problem goes away..had the pedal fairly gritty (playing some Green Day)

This is a new Plexi build. Any thoughts?

PostPosted: Tue Jun 11, 2013 8:56 pm 
Holy Ghost
Holy Ghost

Considering it was fine before, my first suspect would be a solder joint, then a tube, then component. Only happens after a warm up period?

PostPosted: Tue Jun 11, 2013 11:33 pm 
Novice
Novice

Seems to be only when its warm. And only on the lower power chords, higher tones don't seem to be doing this.

The static sound seems to build until the note is muted off. Any thoughts as to where to even check for a bad solder joint?

PostPosted: Thu Jun 13, 2013 8:15 am 
Holy Ghost
Holy Ghost

Since it is common to both channels, V1, V3, power tube area, output jack etc.

PostPosted: Sun Jul 07, 2013 10:52 am 
Novice
Novice

Well, after weeks of happiness, this has come back. It only seems to be happening on a "B" note that is picked with some force and then sustained. Once the static starts, I can even pull the input plug and it'll still continue. Happening on both sets of inputs, both channels. The amp doesn't need to be well warmed up, pretty much able to reproduce at will.

Thoughts?

PostPosted: Sat Jul 13, 2013 4:43 pm 
Novice
Novice

Hmmm, well got some time to try and trouble shoot this. It seems to be something with the speaker. Plugged the amp into a speaker on a different amp and absolutely no problems at all.

So, busted out the soldering gear and re-did the connections from the jack to the speaker. Much better, but some of the issue still there. I'd say 90% solved.

Any one have any ideas? Could it be an internal issue with the speaker (12" Eminence Private Jack)?

PostPosted: Sun Jul 14, 2013 7:46 am 
Experienced
Experienced

Could be if its right on one speaker and not the other, points to the speaker. Could also be the mount in the cab or the cab itself (vibration) the other thing you try. swap speakers and see if the issue follows

PostPosted: Mon Jun 22, 2015 6:52 pm 

I had a similar problem in a 5F2A clone I built. Only a specific notes frequency would case my bad solder joint to vibrate. It was The 500pf between my pots fwiw