Trinity Amps Guitar Amp Forum
It is currently Wed Jul 17, 2024 5:36 am

All times are UTC - 5 hours [ DST ]

PostPosted: Sun Jul 21, 2013 9:08 am 
Friend
Friend

Continued from Tweed forum: viewtopic.php?f=11&t=3537

Hi Champ,

Exactly what I was thinking. Build the Tramp now and the 5E3 next, but I really like that 5E3/6G3 combination you posted. It might be a bit too complex to take on for a second build, especially since I don't have a Tramp build done yet. Gotta get moving.

Since I've visited Gotie (maybe it was your playing...) and his Tramp, I've been looking at the next big choice, the speaker, 10" or 12", best fit for Tweed/'Tude sounds, alnico/ceramic. It's another tough choice for someone new to amplifiers.

I've read the threads ad nauseam and still really don't know the speaker characteristics suitable for me. Acoustic and now new to amplifiers, prefer a mostly clean sound but some dirty as well.

Aside from this and many other forums, I've reviewed the sites for BBQ, Tone Tubby, and Jensen and they have many variations depending on what you're looking for. That's great when you know.

What's the safe bet for a Tramp?

Michael

PostPosted: Sun Jul 21, 2013 10:45 am 
Expert
Expert

Check out the Jensen Blackbird. It's an amazing AlNiCo speaker, 10". Very solid sound speaker with a tight bottom end and a chimey top end.

PostPosted: Sun Jul 21, 2013 1:12 pm 
Friend
Friend

Many thanks kurtlives.

If you don't mind, I have a follow up question; why the 10" and not the 12" for your selection in the Tramp?

Also, do you have an opinion on the BBQ speaker line, they seem very reasonably priced and used for applications where you're looking for a Tweed type tone.

It seems there very few, if any Canadian sites, where I can order these speakers.

The only thing I know for sure is I can get a Tone Tubby from Stephen.

Michael

PostPosted: Mon Jul 22, 2013 8:23 am 
Expert
Expert

I used a 10" because that is what Trinity designed the amp around. I can only speculate to the exact reasons they chose a 10" but my thinking would be...
- smaller form factor. Smaller cab makes the Tramp a great grab and go amp
- with a 10" you get a bit tighter bass which is a good thing because these single ended designs can sometimes suffer from loose "flabby" bass

You can of course order/modify your cabinet for a 12" speaker. Check the forum it's been done a lot.

I ordered my Jensen Blackbird from Trinity.

Only used BBQ a handful of times. Decent speakers for the price.

PostPosted: Mon Jul 22, 2013 6:26 pm 
Friend
Friend

Thanks again kurtlives.

I just placed my Tramp kit order before with Stephen and opted for the 12" Tone Tubby Low Watt as a starting point. I just couldn't decide on the speaker, mostly because I don't have a clue, so I'll see how it goes and of course can always try something else, which in itself is always fun and allows me to to gain some experience.

I decided to build large a Tramp cabinet (~Tweed Deluxe dimensions), which will give me some flexibility down the road, aside from the speaker choice. I'm starting with a prototype, which is roughed out now, and will adjust as the build goes. Once I'm happy, I'll take my time and build the final version, which will be all done up in lacquered Tweed.

I should be receiving the Tramp kit at the end of this week or early next, which is good timing and less distracting, which allows/forces me to get the cabinet in a good state.

I'm confident in getting the build done, mostly because of the quality of the kit and documentation Stephen put together, extremely well documented builds on the forum, and all the knowledgeable forum members that lend a hand when you go off track. (That's my advance plea in case I need help :lol:)

Michael

PostPosted: Mon Jul 22, 2013 10:02 pm 
Friend
Friend

Hi Michael,

Congrats on taking the plunge! It sounds like you've done your homework so I'm sure the Tramp will be a smooth build.

I have the 12" TT Low Watt Alnico in my 5e3 and I really like it. I expect it should suit the Tramp quite well too. It is a very high quality, dynamic speaker for the price - great value! And even if it doesn't suit your tastes, you can always swap it out later on or try an extension cab. The Tramp is very cab friendly with the output impedance selection switch.

I look forward to tracking your progress!

PostPosted: Tue Jul 23, 2013 5:20 pm 
Holy Ghost
Holy Ghost

We mostly went with a 10" for form factor but it was hard to find an efficient 10" to make use of the low power 6v6. The blackbird did a great job there. Then the tone tubby 10" was a bit better in clean headroom, and a little easier on the ears at break up but it was most expensive. The 12" speakers will fit into our small Tramp cab, even the Tone Tubby Alnico, so we've determined, with a swap of the original output jacks with the impedance / cathode switches. That makes for a totally awesome package using almost any 12" speaker. With a 6L6 and 12", you are easily in gigging territory.
The new chassis we designed will drop into a Tweed Deluxe cab for anyone who wants to do that.

PostPosted: Wed Jul 24, 2013 9:01 pm 
Friend
Friend

Wonder of Wonders! The amp kit has arrived. :happydance:

I spoke to Stephen on Monday afternoon (late in the day), put in my order, and the amp kit was at my door when I arrived on Wednesday evening. I'm so impressed, I'm writing this and haven't even opened the box yet...getting the utility knife...opening the box...and it's all there with a personalized letter.

Hard to believe but I don't have a camera or smartphone with a camera(no pictures yet)...I'll need to fix that to document to some degree.

I'll work on the cabinet tonight and tomorrow night but keep the amp kit close by and read the documentation later tonight and hopefully still get some sleep.

I need to get back to the amp kit now, I mean cabinet, and get some building done.

Michael