trinityamps.com

Trinity Amps Guitar Amp Forum
It is currently Fri Jul 19, 2024 3:25 am

All times are UTC - 5 hours [ DST ]

PostPosted: Mon Sep 26, 2005 10:49 am 

Has anyone compared the two BBQ Blue Dog speakers (Alnico vs. Ceramic)? What are the major sonic differences between them? What experiences has anyone had with them in Lightnings? Thanks!

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Sep 30, 2005 11:16 pm 
Friend
Friend

It's hard for me to desribe the difference, although i know, but me being used for to sound of ceramics for years, when I tried a alnico it was is exactly what was missing from my envisioned tone, not to sound corny. I'm thinking of going with a BBQ thames 12 alnico for my next build. totally pricey my being a student. I don't know what your looking for but alnico's rock, and that's alll there is to it. i'm a convert.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Oct 04, 2005 7:09 pm 
Novice
Novice

I also like the sound of alnico speakers. 8)

http://www.diyguitarist.com

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Oct 05, 2005 1:18 am 
Experienced
Experienced

I haven’t used the ceramic Blue Dog, but I have used the Alnico one and I have been very happy with it. I have used the ceramic and Alnico version of the Silver Bell (which is a great speaker also) and I would say the difference to me is that the Alnico seems to be smoother, which I like. The ceramic has a little more of an edge, really either one would be a good choice.

Eddie

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Oct 05, 2005 7:43 am 
Holy Ghost
Holy Ghost

Most of the clips on my site used a 1965 Rola Alnico Magnet, pulled from a Hammond organ! The Rolas look and sound similar to vintage Jensens from the sixties. Mine was about 40 years old.

I auditioned my Lightning with 1X12 Celestion Vintage 30's, Alnico Blue, G12K-85, a Marshall 4X12 1960 G12-K and a 2X12 with a Celestion Alnico Blue and Celestion Vintage 30 in a Bogner 2X12 cab.

The best was a Celestion Alnico Blue, but that was very expensive. The Celestion Vintage 30 was very good and Matchless actually used them.
The Rola was very close to the Vintage 30 and got rave reviews. The Celestion G12K-85 broke up early and was darker sounding. The 2X12 cab sounded like a single 1X12 Alnico blue. The blue is very efficient. The 4X12, sounded good, but was overkill and loud.

A Vintage 30 or Alnico Blue are good choices. I prefer the Alnico. A Vintage 30 in a Bogner cab sounded great. A BBQ Blue Dog might be a good choice, as well.
The Celestion greenback G12M is good with a softer tone.
If you can find an older Jensen (C12 or P12) they are good as well.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Oct 06, 2005 8:00 pm 
Experienced
Experienced

Generally speaking, alnico speakers are smoother and ceramics are punchier. I personally like to put one of each in a 212 cabinet. I have to say my favorite BBQ speaker is the alnico Silver Bell.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Nov 03, 2005 6:29 pm 
Friend
Friend

Has anyone heard the BBQ Thames? I must admit the description is what got me. The alnico blue is starting to sound pretty good to. I 'm not really looking for a whole lot of speaker distortion just a really sweet compression. I think the Thames is sounds attractive becasue of the headroom.