trinityamps.com

Trinity Amps Guitar Amp Forum
It is currently Tue Jul 16, 2024 10:22 am

All times are UTC - 5 hours [ DST ]

Post subject: Re: Bad Xformer?
PostPosted: Sun Aug 09, 2015 12:42 pm 
Holy Ghost
Holy Ghost

Since it didnt blow fuses when the 150R was pulled , and does when it is in circuit, despite it measuring OK, it is possible there is an intermittent fault. I would replace the 150R and see what happens. I would also consider replqcing th 50uf bypass cap.
Once the tubes warm up, amd start to conduct, they are running too much current. The amount of current is set by the cathode resistor and any plate resistors, so to me, this is the area to really inspect.

PostPosted: Thu Aug 20, 2015 9:31 pm 
Novice
Novice

coco wrote:
Since it didnt blow fuses when the 150R was pulled , and does when it is in circuit, despite it measuring OK, it is possible there is an intermittent fault. I would replace the 150R and see what happens. I would also consider replqcing th 50uf bypass cap.
Once the tubes warm up, amd start to conduct, they are running too much current. The amount of current is set by the cathode resistor and any plate resistors, so to me, this is the area to really inspect.

Finally had a few minutes to stop and get some parts... replaced the resistor and the cap... and no change. sigh...

PostPosted: Fri Aug 21, 2015 7:47 am 
Holy Ghost
Holy Ghost

Well, of you want to ship it, we will get it going again.

PostPosted: Sat Sep 05, 2015 6:19 pm 
Novice
Novice

Well... a cold rainy labor day weekend affords the opportunity to try this again.

Double checked all the wiring on V4,5 and 6.. still seems good. Decided to go the other way and look at the speaker output.

As near as I can tell, there is no resistance to be found between anything involved. The positive and ground of the jacks are less <1 ohm resistance between them.. all the lugs on the selector knob are < 1 ohm.

If I disconnect the hot off the selector, there is no continuity between the knob and the hots on the jacks. There is continuity between the different tabs on the selector.

If I then disconnect the 16 ohm tab, there is no longer contintuity on the knob between hot and 16 unless the selector is on 16..

Is there that little internal resistance between all the taps on the output transformer that this makes sense?

PostPosted: Sat Sep 05, 2015 6:25 pm 
Holy Ghost
Holy Ghost

Yes. All there is is a lomg lemght of copper wire, so R is typically low.