trinityamps.com

Trinity Amps Guitar Amp Forum
It is currently Tue Jul 16, 2024 1:08 pm

All times are UTC - 5 hours [ DST ]

PostPosted: Mon Oct 10, 2005 12:04 am 
Friend
Friend

I've been trying to figure out the best solution to get my tube amps to sound good without killing my hearing. I built a resisitive attenuator box, but I really don't like how it sounds with significant attenuation.

I've been looking around and it looks like the best commercial solution is either a WeberVST MASS or a THD Hotplate. Has anyone ever listened to either of these? The Hotplate is supposed to compensate the EQ for the lower volume so that it sounds the same. I don't know if the same is true for the MASS. The MASS is a lot cheaper but I don't think it will be available in retail stores for a taste test. I hope to go take a listen at the Hotplate tomorrow and benchmark it with my resistive box.

Any help would be much appreciated.

Thanks,
Dave

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sun Oct 23, 2005 9:31 am 
Holy Ghost
Holy Ghost

I have only ever heard a 'Ultimate Attenuator". It works as advertised, but seems a little flaky at times. Maybe they're better now. It seems like the mass is a good idea, but I cant comment on it.

What we all seem to need is a half power switch!

PostPosted: Sun Oct 23, 2005 11:03 pm 
Novice
Novice

Dr Z sells his own unit called ''Airbrake''.It's not cheap...$299.00 US.I tried one this past Spring and found it to be very transparent at all levels of reduction.Only when dialed down to the lowest setting was there any apparent , and only slight, change in sound depth.

This unit, if I remember correctly was switchable 4, 8, and 16 ohms.Lauzon Music in Ottawa carries DrZ gear.

Jim

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Oct 26, 2005 11:40 am 
Friend
Friend

I bought a BBQ MASS for 25 watts and under about two weeks ago. I have never tested the other brands. My thoughts: well worth the money, because it was only $75!! As far as loss of tone, maybe the tiniest bit, but I don't have "golden ears" and I didn't really notice any tone loss. Just make sure you don't confuse loss of tone with loss of mass amounts of air moving. IMHO it works as advertised, and works well. Front panel has a bypass switch that works just fine. Front panels also include an ohm selector (4,8,16), and a volume knob. Back panel has an In, Out, and Line Out; I did not test the line out. My test has been on a 5E3, though I plan to try it on my Lightning and my 18 watt trem in the next day or two. In short, it works well and is a much better deal than the others.

John

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sun Feb 26, 2006 12:02 pm 
Friend
Friend

Even though this is an old thread, I can attest to the BBQ Mini MASS. I use it with the TMB and it works great. Don't get as much breakup out of the speaker but still able to get a great tone