trinityamps.com

Trinity Amps Guitar Amp Forum
It is currently Thu Mar 28, 2024 7:24 am

All times are UTC - 5 hours [ DST ]

Post subject: Re: Thor is complete!!
PostPosted: Fri Feb 11, 2022 5:59 pm 
Experienced
Experienced

check out the Celestion Creamback 65W. Great speaker for Plexi and JCM800 tones.
I've read about those "tube doublers". Seems like a great idea, but would definitely need to check circuit compatibility. I think in some Marshalls the individual triodes of V2 may be wired "in reverse" (for lack of a better word)...i.e. what side the cathode follower is on and what side the input grid from V1 is on.

Anyways...worth trying out! that would be some serious gain.

PostPosted: Fri Feb 11, 2022 6:21 pm 
Friend
Friend

Yeah I need to ask someone more knowledgeable about v2. Hot mods makes 2 versions of that (ones for the reverse wiring you were talking about.

PostPosted: Mon Feb 14, 2022 8:39 pm 
Friend
Friend

Well asked trinity about the hot mods v2 and they recommend not using one with the Thor, just wasn’t sure how it would react so I will hold off on that for now. Just scored a deal on a peavey 212-6, 2x12 loaded with green backs so I shall see how that sounds like. Seems like a cool cabinet. Has extra feet to mount horizontal or vertical, convertible between open and closed
Back and can do mono or stereo. And is supposedly constructed with 18mm plywood. For some reason guitar centers 20% off coupon that seems to exclude anything you’d actually want to buy, was accepted, online even. Though usually in store they seem to always accept it within reason anyways

PostPosted: Fri Feb 18, 2022 11:02 am 
Friend
Friend

Can confirm. Thor sounds sweet through a greenback loaded 2x12. Very happy with the peavey 212-6. Super solid plywood construction and nice thick wiring inside.

PostPosted: Fri Feb 18, 2022 3:20 pm 
Experienced
Experienced

Sticking a clean boost or overdrive in front of the amp would likely be a lot easier/safer than doing the Hot Mod thing, and probably get you the extra gain you are looking for.

Great deal on the cabinet! A greenback-loaded plywood cab for under $500 is a pretty nice deal!

PostPosted: Sat Feb 19, 2022 4:28 pm 
Friend
Friend

You are right about that. My other amp is picky with drive pedals so I’ve been going
Through my drive pedals I had sitting in a drawer and the Thor takes them like a champ. My fave so far is boosting it with a way huge saucy box. Glad I hung on to that one.

PostPosted: Thu Sep 07, 2023 2:52 am 
Friend
Friend

Trying it out could result in a significant increase in gain, but it's essential to be cautious and perhaps consult with only up an amplifier technician to make any modifications safely. Enjoy experimenting with your setup!