trinityamps.com

Trinity Amps Guitar Amp Forum
It is currently Fri Jul 19, 2024 7:28 am

All times are UTC - 5 hours [ DST ]

Post subject: Lighting EQ question...
PostPosted: Wed Feb 22, 2006 10:07 am 

Hey guys, got a Lightning EQ question. I recently had a major moment & wondering if you could explain. I bought a '52 Reissue Tele needless to say a bright guitar. I was messing around with my Lightning trying to dial it in & then I turned the bass control all the way up & there it was but I know those are interactive & all that but it wasn't like just adding bass. I mean it's almost like it's a new frequency with that up all the way. The difference from 9 on the dial to 10 on the dial was huge. What's going on there. Did that make sense?

TIA!

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Feb 22, 2006 11:26 am 
Expert
Expert

Mondo,

The bass and treble controls are highly interactive...Highly!! Where your treble knob is pointing has a great bearing on how your bass sweep works. The bad news is that it's almost too complicated to learn all the nuances of the controls right off the bat...you need to experiment. The good news is that you can get a whole slew of complicated tone possibilities with just two knobs.

I recommend you start with both controls all the way down. Then bring up each tone control to 1...and keep going...until 10.

Then drop down both tones again...and start experimenting with the bass sounds, as you slowly, incrementally increase treble and vice versa.

If you visualize each number around the horn on the tone knobs, you have over a 100 possibilities...and a good number of those possibilities are very different from eachother....i.e. a minor change in the treble knob with the bass knob the same, will render very different results.

Hope that helps....

Frank

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sat Mar 18, 2006 7:02 pm 
Novice
Novice

The really good news to me is that it's just hard to dial in a bad tone, even though they are highly interactive. I've played some amps that were impossible to dial in. Not so with this circuit.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sun Mar 19, 2006 2:27 pm 
Experienced
Experienced

It is also interesting to note your tone controls are log taper pots, which means the range between 8 and 10 will make a huge difference in tone, with much less activity below 8.