trinityamps.com

Trinity Amps Guitar Amp Forum
It is currently Fri Jul 19, 2024 3:19 am

All times are UTC - 5 hours [ DST ]

PostPosted: Sat Mar 04, 2006 11:41 am 

Hi all,
I'm new to the forum here. I recently ordered a Lightning kit from Trinity. The transformers arrived Friday...man the PT is a mass of iron!

I am trying to finish a Deluxe Reverb build from scratch ala "Doug Hoffman" style. What a lot of work...hope it's worth it.

The Lightning kit sounded like a nice simple toneful alternative. There is a lot to be said for a pre-punched chassis and faceplate.

I picked up a Tone Tubby 12" alnico from South Valley Vintage amps (I also bought a BBQ Silver Bell - I must think I'm made of money). I was thinking about a DPTTP from West Labs to let the iron cool between sets.

I'm hoping to head off to Windsor lumber to pick up some Baltic Birch for a 1x12" cabinet. I'm thinking of hitting Joann fabrics for some unique "pleather" for the valence.

Any suggestions for a smooth build would be greatly appreciated.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sat Mar 04, 2006 11:55 pm 
Holy Ghost
Holy Ghost

For cabinet information and how to get plans, go to:

viewtopic.php?t=214&highlight=cabinet

High voltage Layout:

viewtopic.php?p=4139#4139

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sat Mar 25, 2006 12:56 am 

Well I finished my Trinity Lightning kit this evening. I put some NOS Telam EL-84's and some JJ 12AX7's in her, turned her on, warmed her up and heated up the B+. The amp sounds great! I didn't get to play that long before the family shut me down, but it sounds quite nice with my LP copy, plenty of crunch and cleans up nicely. Tomorrow I'll try the Strat. I was testing it through the speaker in my Twintone 1x12. I've got an Alnico ToneTubby to try but I've got to get the cabinet finished. The only thing I notice is a bit of hiss with the preamp volume up high. I suspect I should redress my wiring on the first tube. I don't consider it that big a deal 'cause if I'm cranking the pre, I'm probably leanin' on the master as well so the hiss becomes a mute point.

My hats off to Stephen and Trinity. The quality of the chassis, face and rearplates, turret board and parts made this a very fun build. All the parts were bagged and well organized. The documentation was well thought out and full of good information.

I'll see about posting some pics tomorrow. I'd like to share some sound clips of the amp, can anyone recommend a start. I've got a soundcard and an old version of guitar tracks that sounds OK for recording rhythms to play over, but it's a bit lacking in sound quality. Of course I was using a cheap mike.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sat Mar 25, 2006 9:23 am 
Holy Ghost
Holy Ghost

Glad the build worked out. If you need help posting pics, let me know.

You're going to get some hiss considering the usage of carbon comp resistors.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sun Mar 26, 2006 2:34 pm 
Friend
Friend

When you finish the deluxe reverb, run the two amps together. They complement each other really well and give a huge tone together.