trinityamps.com

Trinity Amps Guitar Amp Forum
It is currently Wed Jul 17, 2024 4:23 am

All times are UTC - 5 hours [ DST ]

PostPosted: Sun Apr 16, 2006 8:16 pm 
Friend
Friend

I just bought a speaker witha n SPL rating of 99 dbl (Eminence texas heat). I'm thinking about pairing it in a 2-12 cab w/an Eminence red fang rated 103 dbl. Will this be okay or is the red fang going to be louder and drown it out? I've heard a lot of good things about pairing an alnico w/ceramic especially the tone tubby "bomb" with the alnico and ceramic speakers together. I'm thinking of the poor mans 'bomb'. The tubby pair will get you over $400. I got the texas heat for 50 and I think the red fang can be had for aroung 130 or so. I have the C rex and love it in my deluxe reverb. Anyway what is the deal with matching these SPL ratings?
Thanks, Jeff

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Apr 17, 2006 10:36 pm 
Experienced
Experienced

If you already have both speakers the best way is to try em. 4db isn't too too much. I know some people like to pail 100 db celestions like the g12h30 with 96db speakers like the greenback. They seem to blend ok.

Let us know how they sound.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue May 09, 2006 8:57 am 
Friend
Friend

I've tried the red fang w/the texas heat. They sound okay together, but I have another identical 2-12 cab w/2 of the inexspensive celestion g12c30's (got 4 for $80 on ebay) and the Eminence can't touch the celestions. The celestions sound so tight, a real strong low end that doesn't get muddy and a nice crisp edge to the tone. I was surprised to discover that I liked them so much. When I first took them out of the box I thought I had wasted my money on junk. They are very, very light weight and seemed kinda cheap, but they sound great in a cab. They are so tight I ended up opening the back of the cab. Maybe if I close the eminence cab it will help them out a bit. Also tried matching a celestion w/an eminence. They both sound bad with the celestions. Anyway, I think the G12c30 is a good deal. Jeff