trinityamps.com

Trinity Amps Guitar Amp Forum
It is currently Thu Jul 18, 2024 3:33 am

All times are UTC - 5 hours [ DST ]

Post subject: Taming the boomy bass
PostPosted: Mon Apr 10, 2006 8:21 am 
Friend
Friend

KevinL mentioned putting two .oo1 uf caps in series where C1 was. Excuse me if this is a dumb question, but does that make C1 a total capacitance of .002? I'd like to tone down the bassiness in mine as well.

Moid

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Apr 10, 2006 1:23 pm 
Holy Ghost
Holy Ghost

Caps in series are calculated like resistors in parallel. Caps in parallel are caclulated like resistors in series.

So , that would be 0.005 for 2 - .001 caps in series.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Apr 10, 2006 2:28 pm 
Friend
Friend

Nope.. 2 .001 in series equals 500p
Thats a tone squeezer.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Apr 10, 2006 10:43 pm 
Holy Ghost
Holy Ghost

The reciprocal of the equivalent capacitor of a series combination
equals the sum of the reciprocals of the individual capacitance.

" The equivalent Capacitor is always less than any individual
capacitor

1/C = 1/C1 + 1/C2 +..
1/c= 1000+ 1000
1/c = 2000
C = .0005 uF

500p = .0005uF

LooseChange is right. I stand corrected. :oops:

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Apr 10, 2006 11:31 pm 
Friend
Friend

Okay, thanks for the electronics/math lesson. I'll post the tweaks I've made as soon as I can tabulate them. The latest was the addition of a ceramic, hemp cone tone tubby. I'm still in awe over that speaker! Rich, creamy tone and a bass response I've never heard in any other speaker. Highly recommended.
Moid

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Apr 13, 2006 4:54 pm 
Friend
Friend

LooseChange wrote:
Thats a tone squeezer.

Maybe, but I tried many different values in there and the bass was always loose and muddy. With the 500pf it's tight. I do play it with humbuckers and a 2x12 closed back cab with Vintage 30's though. :wink:

I also ended up putting in a full tone stack with mids control and removed the master volume.

My Lightning is now pretty much a TopHat King Royale with 2 EL84's. A high/low gain switch, and a bright on/off switch. I also used a 100k plate resistor on V1.
It's not really a Lightning anymore but I like it way better. Voxy cleans and crunch to nice overdrive when cranked.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Apr 14, 2006 7:22 am 
Friend
Friend

I totally get what you did. With humbuckers and a closed back 2x12 I would consider that option too. I play mine through a 1 x 15 open back and I always need to cut the lows. In another amp I built I added a universal bass cut control to the amp.

I like the fender type tone control too. I just put a fixed 8.2k resistor in for the mid. I am considering adding a switch to bypass it for more mid cut.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri May 05, 2006 7:10 am 
Holy Ghost
Holy Ghost

I think I captured the essence of this in the attached drawing. I did not include all the mods in the thread, just what seemed to be the favourites & agreed ones.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu May 25, 2006 7:39 pm 
Novice
Novice

LooseChange wrote:
Thats a tone squeezer.

That's stock value in the 30watt. I'm gonna try some of these mods in the dc-30 to improve on it. Thanks for the tips!

So you don't find that losing a gain stage on v1 makes the amp less punchy and wimpy? Would wiring the 2nd gain stage of v1 to a 3pdt switch to switch in/out also work?

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri May 26, 2006 10:14 am 
Friend
Friend

daz wrote:
LooseChange wrote:
Thats a tone squeezer.

That's stock value in the 30watt. I'm gonna try some of these mods in the dc-30 to improve on it. Thanks for the tips!

Quote:
So you don't find that losing a gain stage on v1 makes the amp less punchy and wimpy? Would wiring the 2nd gain stage of v1 to a 3pdt switch to switch in/out also work?

I don't find it less punchy at all. There's more usuable gain range. There's plenty of gain but also more headroom.

I've got the 30 watt iron coming next week so I can give you guys the scoop on these clean mods at 30 watts. I'm thinking it's going to be the amp I've been really wanting to add to my collection. I love how it sounds now but it doesn't keep up with my drummer. I have the feeling the 30 watt version of my cleaned up Lightning will have no problem.

It's easy to disconnect the parallel stage and see if you like it. I found putting C4 on a switch and changing C12 to 22uf to be the best changes, but all the changes I did played a part in the amp being more usable and versatile throughout the volume and gain ranges.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sun Jun 04, 2006 9:51 am 
Friend
Friend

Change C4 to a .47 and switch in the 22uf in parallel. The .47 gives a nice smoothness.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Jun 05, 2006 9:55 pm 
Friend
Friend

I've been tuning in to this thread for a while now and following it with some interest, but I have got to say that my lightning build (following pretty closely the layout here, with the listed component values) is an incredible amp. It is the only amp I have where I don't want to touch a thing! The bass on this thing is so tight that my bassist is considering having me build him one also. The tone controls are a little weird at first but give an amazing range, and the volume/master controls get you anywhere from super clean to AC/DC crunch. Just my vote for the stock version..carry on! Jeff

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Jun 06, 2006 6:38 am 
Holy Ghost
Holy Ghost

Nice to hear. I am going to change the stock layout and schematic to include a cut control now. It can be optional.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Jun 06, 2006 6:47 am 
Friend
Friend

Jeff, What are you using for a speaker?

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Jun 06, 2006 9:02 am 
Friend
Friend

I bought a quartet of celestion g12c30 on ebay for like $80+shipping. They are the el cheapo celestions that I assume go in other manufacturers cabinets or something. I thought when I took the first one out of the box and the whole thing weighed like 8 oz " Oh well you get what you pay for", but I put a pair in a 2-12 and they sound really, really good. They have super tight low end, I took the back off the cab just to get a bit looser sound. The breakup on them is nice and tight. I don't know how they perform if you really crank them but I bet as a quartet they can take a good bit. I use the lightning through these for tight crisp sound and then run my deluxe reverb with it to balance it out with a warmer tone. Never been happier with my tone! Although I do of course have something else brewing on the bench .

I also have tried the Eminence red fang and the texas heat with this amp and they are fine but I do prefer the celestions. Jeff

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sat Mar 24, 2007 11:36 pm 
Holy Ghost
Holy Ghost

Hey,

Resurrecting this thread. Did the drawing I did capture the essentials of cleaning up the Lightning?

I'm going to experiment on the TC-15

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Apr 12, 2007 12:58 am 
Experienced
Experienced

Well, I just ordered a new set of Orange Drops to replace the Mallorys, along with a 500 pf silver mica cap. It was the only 500 pf I could find at Antique Electronics (tubesandmore.com). Is silver mica an ok choice?

Incase not, I ordered two .001's to put in series.

I also ordered a .0015 uf to try.

I like the gain, but I'd like the tighter Voxy bass.

It's encouraging to see my understanding picking up. I know what C1 refers too!

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Apr 12, 2007 7:05 am 
Holy Ghost
Holy Ghost

Silver mica is good. Us them in many places in this amp. I do use Mallorys for it by personal choice becasue it's a bit smoother I think.
Put in a Clean / Mean toggle for 22uf cathod cap on V2 and waiting for an opinion on it.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Apr 12, 2007 12:00 pm 
Experienced
Experienced

I wasn't sure which kind of toggle to get. What did you use?

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Apr 12, 2007 1:34 pm 
Holy Ghost
Holy Ghost

Miniature 5A , DPDT.