Trinity Amps Guitar Amp Forum
It is currently Tue Jul 16, 2024 6:40 pm

All times are UTC - 5 hours [ DST ]

Post subject: Transformer Burn In
PostPosted: Wed May 17, 2006 11:25 pm 
Holy Ghost
Holy Ghost

Just looking for opinions on this...

Do you think the sound of transformers changes over time? (I mean, Sozo caps are supposed to so..)
If so, in what way? Any experience in this :?:

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu May 18, 2006 1:33 am 
Expert
Expert

I think this is highly unlikely however they do have a tendancy to burn out if you ground them inappropriatley :wink:

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Jun 12, 2006 8:58 am 
Friend
Friend

maybe "burn in" isn't the quite the right terminology, but i do think that there is a steady change over time....but whether it's noticable is another thing

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Jun 14, 2006 6:53 am 
Holy Ghost
Holy Ghost

We have been monitoring the sound of the new Trinity RS Clone transformer for obvious reasons. Lbet reports that it has settled in and smoothed out. I'll let him provide some more details, but it was all good.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Jun 14, 2006 8:08 am 
Experienced
Experienced

Yes, there was a change. The high end seemed to soften a little bit. I can't account for the change and know many think tranny break-in is bollocks. I do know that some of the best sounding transformers I have heard have come out of amps (new and old) that had been played for a while (months).

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Jun 14, 2006 2:16 pm 
Novice
Novice

How do we know that its the transformer thats changing its sound over time? and not other components. Most people would agree that over time a new amp usually changes its tone & feel, usually for the better, however I think a new speaker breaking in, along with Caps, resistors & tubes setteling in would be a much biger part of that change. I think the only way to truly test the transformer, power or output, would be to put a new transformer in an old amp & then moniter the sound over time.

Joe

Legin - sounds like you have some first hand experience with trany burn out vs burn in

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Jun 15, 2006 6:16 am 
Holy Ghost
Holy Ghost

I know lbets sIII that this was connected to was well burned in and the test speakers that were connected to it.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Jun 15, 2006 9:38 am 
Friend
Friend

It sounds like those trannies are turning out great then..congrats Stephen and whoever else was involved...I would trust Ibet's ear....great player.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Jun 21, 2006 3:47 pm 
Novice
Novice

Why shouldn't the heat and voltage through the transformer help to change and form the transformer a little, just as with Sozo caps.

With Sozos John has explained that there's small chemical changes that happen when the new cap is subjected to electricity and heat. I happen to hear a difference in an amp with burned in Sozos, so I believe it.

So why shouldn't the insulation or core be somewhat effected by use over a period of time?

Theory can only explain those variables it accounts for, but in the real world there's often more variables. If theory was all you needed every new college grad would blow away the guy out in the work force who has been "doing it" for years. This almost never happens.

So if you use Sozo caps and Trinity transformers, you're amp will break in, just like a good baseball glove!