trinityamps.com

Trinity Amps Guitar Amp Forum
It is currently Tue Jul 16, 2024 9:01 am

All times are UTC - 5 hours [ DST ]

PostPosted: Thu Mar 29, 2007 10:58 pm 
Experienced
Experienced

I hope someone out there can help identify some tubes for me.

I have a friend that has a bunch of tubes. I was going through his stock and found 2 NOS 12AX7's that look to be new, never used condition.

One is a Sylvania, yellow ink on bottle, graphite grey plates that are about .700" long, plate holder on top looks to be 2 layers?.

The other is an RCA, red ink on bottle, graphite grey plates that are about .560" long, plate holder on top looks to be three layers under a top layer that looks to be screen printed.

What versions are they?

Are they any good for an SIIIv6?

Any suggestions as to what these should sound like, compare to?

Any suggestions as to which should go in V1 and V2?

What is a fair price to give him for these?

I'm planning on trying them out over the weekend and hearing for myself, but would appreciate any and all help on this. Thanks!

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Mar 29, 2007 11:19 pm 
Holy Ghost
Holy Ghost

Both are excellent. RCA in V1, Sylvania in V2. Should heat things up nicely. Check out, but dont believe the prices

https://www.tubeworld.com/12ax7.htm

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Mar 30, 2007 11:40 pm 
Experienced
Experienced

Stephen, looks like they may both be "black plates" as they are dark grey, definitely not light grey.

Still training my ears, but per your suggestions I have the RCA in V1 and the Sylvania in V2 and rep[laced the microphonic Ei in V3 with the non microphonic one from V1.

The noise floor is maybe a little lower, still get a good amount of hiss and sizzle on the TMB channel with Vol on 8 and Master on 6 and up, Normal channel both knobs zeroed. Hiss decreases noticeable when touching the strings, everything MUCH quiter when switched to the 6v6's so I'm assuming that what I am getting is what I've read is normal for the el84's.

With the NOS tubes I think I'm hearing slightly more headroom, it seems clearer than with the Ei's. When I'm playing soft touch it sounds good, when I lean into it they crunch really nicely and the sustain sounds like forever! The difference is more subtle than I was expecting.

Of course I'm playing in a small room with the 2 x 12 and I'm about 8' in front of the amp!

Going to keep working on it tomorrow.

Thanks for the info!