trinityamps.com

Trinity Amps Guitar Amp Forum
It is currently Wed Jul 17, 2024 11:29 am

All times are UTC - 5 hours [ DST ]

PostPosted: Thu Jul 12, 2007 11:06 pm 
Novice
Novice

Not to sound dumb :oops: but I have never played through a Lightning.... and from what I am reading the TC15 is a combo of a couple different circuits, correct??? Can you please describe the tone.... or even better, any sound clips available? I like the looks of the one Coco posted in black with the silver piping... looked great! I hope I'm not already thinking of another amp build before I've even started my 2nd one! ha ha

Thanks guys.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Jul 13, 2007 6:39 am 
Holy Ghost
Holy Ghost

Well channel 2 is the original 15. There are lots of clips of that on the web site and in the clippage section as well.

Channel 1 is very close to a Vox AC15 with some changes. More clips in the Clippage section as well.

viewforum.php?f=10

Also check out viewtopic.php?t=820

'Regular' 15 channel is crisp, jangly. Everything you'd expect from the original 15. Nice to have the Cut control in there. It makes a noticeable difference.

86 channel is very different from the 15 channel. Got a nice grind to it. Not over the top. Very tasteful. You can go from reasonably clean to thick grind. Tone contour control makes a noticeable difference in thickening up the sound. Cut control works here too.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Jul 13, 2007 10:07 am 
Expert
Expert

It's a great sound, and yes, based on 3 circuits. I'm building one now, almost done. I'll be posting clips as soon as she's ready.
Can't ask for a more versatile amp. :D

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Sep 25, 2007 10:00 pm 
Experienced
Experienced

I actually forgot how good the bog standard Trinity 15 sounds. Mine has no cut switch so you have to manage the treble on the amp and at the guitar. Having said that, the amp sounds GREAT though a wide range of speakers.

I like the bomb - It is loud with a good balance between top and bottom. When pushed it starts to get punchy and crunchy. 2 ceramic hemp cones would work well as well. I also like 2 G12-H30's in an open back cab. The TC-15 2x12 cab works well with speakers like these. 3D cleans with ringing high end all sparkley and such ; the celestion characteristic tone is there. Loud and very srv with these speakers. I have also tried a 1x12 front (dual) ported bogner. It contains a V30. The cab seems to be tuned to provide some low end support to the v30. This seems to compensate some for the spiky upper mids and the net results is quite warm. The T-15 was quite aggressive sounding with a bit of a mid focus. This kinda compensates for the naturally scooped sound of the 15 a bit. This works if your looking for that kinda tone. Might be a good thing for a humbucker equipped guitar.

Speaking of which, this amp is good with ALL single coil guitars. I have 3 or 4 different tele's, my billy bo (I know, not exactly a single coil pickup but there is some twang there and the 15 loves that). Strats are like a freaking ..... ok strats are good. Very good. Very SRV. Colin James has been known to have played a matchless (and about 5 other amps) during his live shows and he has killer strat tone.

You really have to play with the tone controls to experience the full range of the what the amp has to offer. The controls work off of each other in a very unique way. Forget the fender or marshall go to positions. Although the work great there is so much more to be had.

All in all I really love this amp. Sweet cleans at low volumes. Spanky distortion with a master volume and the cut control.

CHeers
LB

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sat Sep 29, 2007 5:18 pm 
Experienced
Experienced

Hey LB, what size of cabinet do you like for a 1x12? I'm thinking about converting to head and cabinet.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Oct 02, 2007 12:18 am 
Experienced
Experienced

Right now I am using a front ported 1x12. I tend to go for anything 22" wide and deep enough to give good bass. Open back of course.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sun Feb 24, 2008 10:38 pm 
Novice
Novice

So this weekend I played a Matchless Lightning Reverb. What a great sounding amp.... I loved it! So how close does the Trinity 15 or TC15 sound to the Lightning? And what about adding reverb to the 15?

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Feb 25, 2008 12:14 am 
Holy Ghost
Holy Ghost

The 15 used the same transformers and was 'spot on'. The TC-15 has two channels and is extremely close, maybe a bit more grit in stock circuit. But we have the Crunch / Munch dual tap OT option with the Output transformer and that takes care of that!

As to reverb - it depends. Foldback reverb can be is done pretty easily but a full blown reverb takes another 12AX7 tube and there is very little space left for that. Harder to do, but can be done if you are adventurous.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Feb 25, 2008 11:24 pm 
Novice
Novice

coco wrote:
As to reverb - it depends. Foldback reverb can be is done pretty easily but a full blown reverb takes another 12AX7 tube and there is very little space left for that. Harder to do, but can be done if you are adventurous.

What is foldback reverb? What does that sound like in comparison to traditional reverb?

And what type of reverb is used on the Matchless?

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Feb 25, 2008 11:32 pm 
Holy Ghost
Holy Ghost

Quote:
What is foldback reverb? What does that sound like in comparison to traditional reverb?

Folback is a very simple reverb which takes a portion of the output and 'folds' it back into the signal path by way of a reverb tank. There is no buffering or boost of the signal. It tends to function better at louder volumes and does not have the amount of reverb of a standard reverb that uses a reverb transformer, reverb tank and two triodes.

But the advantage is that it only requires a tank and a few passive parts.

Quote:
And what type of reverb is used on the Matchless?

See above - standard reverb that uses a reverb transformer, reverb tank and two triodes.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Feb 26, 2008 11:42 pm 
Novice
Novice

Cool.... thanks for the explanation.... I don't plan on building any more amps in the near future (since I STILL haven't finished my Deluxe) but I might keep something like that in mind for some time in the future.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sun Mar 02, 2008 9:47 pm 
Novice
Novice

Hey all been away for awhile. How does the TC-15 compare to the Varja?

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sun Mar 02, 2008 11:48 pm 
Holy Ghost
Holy Ghost

neon333 wrote:
Hey all been away for awhile. How does the TC-15 compare to the Varja?

Never heard the Vajra but since it is based on the Marshall [I think], and has completely different tone controls, I'd speculate Not Much like.