trinityamps.com

Trinity Amps Guitar Amp Forum
It is currently Wed Jul 17, 2024 9:26 am

All times are UTC - 5 hours [ DST ]

PostPosted: Sun Nov 04, 2007 9:05 am 

hey guys !
im a brand newy here, and fairly new to the world of lightning clones of which i recently picked one up !

im wondering if there's a general OD pedal that is renoun or recognised as being suited specifically for the matchless lightning, just like the hotcake for an ac30 for example....

cheers !!

Simon.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sun Nov 04, 2007 11:58 am 
Experienced
Experienced

Hmm.. that is tough my friend...

as styles differ and people prefer different sounds; it's pretty hard to recommend an OD pedal... as such; ive never played out of a lightning either way....

So short answer is - certainly some pedals will sound better then others; but i really doubt there is an end all pedal for this amp or any for that matter.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sun Nov 04, 2007 2:30 pm 
Novice
Novice

Honestly a good ol' Tube Screamer sounded great with my DC30. I expect that I will find it is also great with my new Lightning.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sun Nov 04, 2007 6:42 pm 
Holy Ghost
Holy Ghost

We tried out and an s2 Tube boost and it was pretty darn good. but it's a little more than normally needed!

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sun Nov 04, 2007 10:55 pm 
Novice
Novice

I have found that a sans amp GT2 works fairly well with most amps and it make a great direct box for bass also

Bill

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sun Nov 04, 2007 11:05 pm 

thanks the replies guys....
i think i should've made my question clearer..

I quite like natural overdrive of the lightning, but it would be nice to have a pedal to boost it into a tighter, fuller sounding OD without the flabby bits you get when you crank it naturally.

D13 have the Joyride Overdrive and a Boost that are specifically taylored for D13-voiced amps......

It has been said the Crowther Hotcake is the perfect option for Vox-voiced amps...

The Zvex Box of Rock for Marshall-voiced amps..... etc etc.

so.. my question:

is whether there is a recognised stomp box that is designed or suits Matchless-voiced amps particularly well ?

there are plenty of fantastic transparent OD pedals out there, each with their own thing going... i guess im looking a bit more specific here.

cheers !

Simon.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Nov 05, 2007 12:03 am 
Experienced
Experienced

Hey Simon. Glad you could make it. As for the question of an overdrive that is specific the Lighting (I am for you James T. Kirk) no, I am afraid not. But that is a great idea though.

From a more general perspective, I have had good luck with the sparkle drive, TS-9's of different sorts and the BB Booster.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sun Dec 23, 2007 10:47 am 
Experienced
Experienced

I have been playing my Trinity 15 with an Ibanez 80 tubescreamer for milder overdrive sounds. I played with a feew other OD's that sounded very harsh with the 15, but the TS works well for me.

I was having trouble getting a hot overdrive sound I liked - untill I purchased my Tonebone Plexitube! The Plexitube is two Hot British pedals in a single casing. If you want super rock and roll sound, I mean AWESOME tones while using your Trinity 15 set on a nice chimy clean then you have to try the Plexi (or Hot Brit). Now I have my dream rig - amazing cleans, some dirt with the TS and full bent hard rock and roll tones with the Plexitube.

AJC

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sun Dec 23, 2007 6:07 pm 

very cool ill look into it.
i wouldnt mind having some brit rock options.

i just recently acquired a lovepeal eternity and a MI Audio Blues Boy Deluxe.

Both incredible pedals, and when stacked... just beautiful saturated gain.

im VERY happy now !!

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sun Dec 21, 2008 7:13 pm 
Experienced
Experienced

just an update on some other overdrive/.distortion choices..

I just acquired one of those Ibanez Jemini (Steve Vai sig pedal) overdrive/distortion pedals... the one in the swirly paint job.

VERY nice... the left side is like a hotter version of my well used tubescreamer and the right side is a hotter distortion, very full tone with clarity and not noisy at all.

I got to try it with my 15 for a while before I decided to buy it (at home, the local music shop owner and lets me take stuff home to test drive).

ALso picked up a used Maxon OD 808 which I knew would work well with the T15 or TC15 since its just a "better" version of my Ibanez TS808.

AJC

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Jan 15, 2009 9:44 am 
Friend
Friend

I am curious if anyone here has used a hotcake with this amp, and what the results were, since it is a voxish amp?

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Jan 15, 2009 5:26 pm 
Novice
Novice

I don't have any experience with the Hotcake, but have recently compared a Keeley modified TS-9 and Keeley modified BD-2 with both the TC-15 and the Trinity Deluxe (both are combos with a single TT Alnico 12). The BD-2 won that contest, according to my ears and tastes - preserves more of the tonal qualities of the amp. It sounds very much like my Seymour Duncan Twin Tube overdrive - so much so that I am thinking of selling the Twin Tube.

The BD-2 sounds very nice with the TC-15, retaining much of the nice tonal complexities, rather than turning them into fuzziness. This is with my TC-15 made a bit cleaner with a 5751 subbed for the V1 12AX7, set toward the cleaner side, and the BD-2 set in the 12:00 - 3:00 range, with a Tele. With my LP and its higher output Z90 pickups (very nice P90 derivatives), I usually run the BD-2 no more than 12:00. And, of course, the TC-15 sounds very fine as is, with no overdrive in front at all!

Jim

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Jan 15, 2009 6:57 pm 
Experienced
Experienced

The Keeley BD-2 was great with mine as well. My TS808 sounds like crap. I'm using the Tim currently and love the Zendrive.

I get the amp's volume to where it's on the verge of breakup---clean when I strum, but overdriven when I push into it. Then I set the master from there. My Tim is set with low gain (gain knob just above 9 o'clock and the volume around 1 o'clock). That's where these overdrives really bring out the amp's overtone and sparkle.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Jan 21, 2009 11:05 pm 
Experienced
Experienced

WHen you say the TS808 sounds crappy - are you using it set to higher gain? I use my TS808 or Maxon OD808 just for a subtle overdrive, and use my Plexitube for my harder crunch tones.

I really like the 808's with the 15.

But the plexitube rocks! Its still my fave.

AJC

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Jan 22, 2009 4:07 pm 
Experienced
Experienced

You know, I'll do a clip sometime before the weekend is over to hear your thoughts! I've tried higher gain and lower gain. Higher gain is pretty bad, and lower gain changes the sound of my amp.

I tried fiddling with it over this past weekend with the volume around 2:00, the tone somewhere towards the middle, and the gain around 9:00. I can't find the spot on the tone knob that doesn't change the tone of my amp.