trinityamps.com

Trinity Amps Guitar Amp Forum
It is currently Thu Jul 18, 2024 7:17 am

All times are UTC - 5 hours [ DST ]

PostPosted: Sun Nov 11, 2007 10:45 pm 
Novice
Novice

Hey guys... thinking of picking up a speaker cabinet... I was thinking of a 2 x 12"... I want something that is a good overall cab for everything... I have a '66 Bassman head... I built an 18 watt... all this talk about the new TC15 is making me consider building one in the future... who knows, maybe even a JTM45 in the future too!

Anyways, I want a good overall cabinet that would sound great with any of those amps... that way I'd only need 1 cabinet and just use whatever head I feel like each jam session.

I was thinking of getting a Mesa Lonestar 2 x 12"... there's one at my local shop... nice looking cab and costs around $640. Here's the specs:

http://www.mesaboogie.com/Product_Info/ ... x12-LG.htm

What do you think guys? Would this be a good choice? Or any other suggestions?

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Nov 12, 2007 5:40 pm 
Holy Ghost
Holy Ghost

Size is pretty good. Not sure on the speakers inside there but they should be decent too. Also, it's a pretty wide open back cabinet. Good fo alot of speakers, a little more than we have but probably OK.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Nov 28, 2007 5:19 pm 
Novice
Novice

I'm open to other suggestions as to other good speaker cabs too... I'm not set on getting that Mesa... I just don't want to end up building a couple amps over the next couple years and end up needing just as many cabs... I want to get one good cab that I could use with multiple amps.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Nov 28, 2007 9:03 pm 
Holy Ghost
Holy Ghost

A good 212 wired with the ability to switch to one or the other 12 would be useful too.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Nov 29, 2007 1:09 pm 
Experienced
Experienced

I would also suggest that you look at Stephens cabs!

(Stephen, you're being modest)

Very well put together and sound great. :D

Also, the prices are very good.

I have a Trinity 2 x 12 (hardwood) and both hardwood and tolex head cabs and think they're great.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Nov 30, 2007 3:00 pm 
Expert
Expert

Not sure about the "Custom" Celestion C90 speakers...not sure how they're voiced. It they're a higher power version of the G12 series they might be a tad edgy for the Bassman. I know my V30 (G12H based) 2x12 is a little hairy even with my VJr (which is a pretty dark amp stock), but I'm not a big fan of really bright/hairy tone so it may just be personal taste.

Stephen's switching suggestion is a great idea though...if you could effectively mix something a bit more edgy & something warmer that would be cool. Might not be ideal in a closed-back cab though - the speaker that's switched off will still deflect & maybe mess up the bottom end a bit (and there's a sort of phasing issue there too from a mechanical perspective). But I'm no acoustic genius or anything. Wouldn't be an issue in an open-backed cab though (or miniscule at worst).

I haven't tried one of Stephen's cabs (yet), but I'm sure they kick butt. There's also Avatar cabs (check out Steamco Music) for decent prices & well made. Also, the new Epiphone cabs are pretty good. I have the 1x12 for my VJr and the cab is well made & even the Eminence "Lady Luck" speaker is pretty nice. Much warmer than the V30's in my Avatar or the G12T75 I had in my old cab.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Nov 30, 2007 9:20 pm 
Experienced
Experienced

http://www.reinhardtamps.com/files/Cabs.html
I have the slant 2X12 and it's the perfect size.
Stew