trinityamps.com

Trinity Amps Guitar Amp Forum
It is currently Tue Jul 16, 2024 3:27 pm

All times are UTC - 5 hours [ DST ]

PostPosted: Mon Dec 24, 2007 1:16 am 
Experienced
Experienced

Decided to start a general topic on this.

What pedals go well with an SIIIv6?

My particular interest is for an echo / delay I think :? I'm looking for something that will give me the "playing in an empty airplane hanger / cave" sound.

Also a clean boost in case I don't want to get off my behind to flip the boost switch on the back panel :D

Something in kit form would be great to go along with building the amp!

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Dec 24, 2007 1:41 pm 
Holy Ghost
Holy Ghost

lbets Electro Harmonix Holy Grail 'reverb' pedal, sounded good to me.

Would you build an electronic boost into the v6 to replace the toggle?

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Dec 24, 2007 3:35 pm 
Experienced
Experienced

How does he set the pedal to get the "big reflective room" effect rather than the reverb effect? :?

The toggle is nice, but I play sitting down and around a corner from the amp in my practice (dining) room, so if I want to try getting the booost mid way through something, I have to get up and get to the amp.

I know, life is tough :P So I was wondering about trying a pedal to try to get the same effect.

I know that there is a "factory installed" switch available, but I need to get the TC-15 kit and build it so I have an amp to play with before I send it up for the retrofit.. :D :D

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Dec 24, 2007 3:44 pm 
Holy Ghost
Holy Ghost

jcny wrote:
How does he set the pedal to get the "big reflective room" effect rather than the reverb effect? :?

It has a three way slide switch to change the sound of the reverb.

jcny wrote:
The toggle is nice, but I play sitting down and around a corner from the amp in my practice (dining) room, so if I want to try getting the booost mid way through something, I have to get up and get to the amp. ... I know that there is a "factory installed" switch available

I'm going to post a "Soft Boost" schematic and layout to help people build one. Keep an eye out for it.

jcny wrote:
but I need to get the TC-15 kit and build it so I have an amp to play with before I send it up for the retrofit.. :D :D

Can't argue with that kind of logic!

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Dec 24, 2007 4:37 pm 
Holy Ghost
Holy Ghost

Soft Boost: viewtopic.php?p=9480#9480

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Dec 25, 2007 2:58 am 
Experienced
Experienced

Again, thanks Stephen :D :D

Let me ask some questions to make sure I understand what this is doing.

So this allows remote switching for both the boost and the el84's / 6v6's on an SIIIv6?

If the above is correct, then this remote switch replaces both toggle switches on the back panel? (It is not in addition to the switches)

The 6.3V power supply that is shown that has to be built is connected to the two green power transformer leeds to the tag strip that feeds the tube heaters?

The boost board is connected to both ends of the 2K7 (R9) resistor that the boost switch is presently connected to? I.e., the board replaces the R34 - C21 combination?

For the cathode relay board, if pin 6 of the relay connects to the R20 - C10 post on the board, and pin 8 connects to the R33 - C20 post on the board, doesn't pin 11 of the relay have to connect to pin 3 of the el84 tube socket and pin 9 of the relay have to connect to pin 8 of the 6v6 tube socket?
Or am I missing something?

Will a standard (Fender style) replacement amp foot switch and cable work for this?

Sorry for all the questions
:oops:

It's late and I'm slow at this time of day :)

Thanks!

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Dec 25, 2007 10:50 am 
Holy Ghost
Holy Ghost

jcny wrote:
So this allows remote switching for both the boost and the el84's / 6v6's on an SIIIv6?

Yes
Quote:
..this remote switch replaces both toggle switches on the back panel?

Yes
Quote:
The 6.3V power supply that is shown that has to be built is connected to the two green power transformer leeds to the tag strip that feeds the tube heaters?

Yes, it ends up at 8.5VDC or so.
Quote:
The boost board is connected to both ends of the 2K7 (R9) resistor that the boost switch is presently connected to? I.e., the board replaces the R34 - C21 combination?

Yes.
Quote:
For the cathode relay board, if pin 6 of the relay connects to the R20 - C10 post on the board, and pin 8 connects to the R33 - C20 post on the board, doesn't pin 11 of the relay have to connect to pin 3 of the el84 tube socket and pin 9 of the relay have to connect to pin 8 of the 6v6 tube socket?

This design switches the single ground connections of the cathode pair so just one lead for each pair is switched to ground.
Quote:
Will a standard (Fender style) replacement amp foot switch and cable work for this?

If you are doing both switches, you need a 'stereo' cable with a two foot switch pedal. Otherwise 1 footswitch for the boost only. Any footswitch will work.

I think switching both cathodes & boost is a bit over the top. If I was doing one, it would be the Boost only.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Dec 25, 2007 12:37 pm 
Experienced
Experienced

Well that certainly makes sense :D I don't mind getting up to switch between power tubes, don't do it that often. It was late and I wasn't thinking :oops:

With that in mind, I think I can simplify things (good for me, I can use "easy") to make the boost only switch.

Do you need the cathode relay if you are doing just the boost switch?

If I do, then I just do not make the connections to the power tubes, correct?

If I don't need the cathode relay, then I can put the jack, R42 and D3 on the boost board and use the jack socket (now I can use a mono jack?) to mount the board to the chassis, correct?

Then a mono cable to a single button footswitch.

Thanks for all of the help Stephen :D :D

And back on the pedal, I see the EH HG pedal has a "hall" setting, so that would do it.

I'll have to give it a try, thanks :D :D

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Dec 25, 2007 12:43 pm 
Holy Ghost
Holy Ghost

No, you don't need the cathode relay if you are doing just the boost switch. Then you go with the single/mono and mount the board to the jack then to the chassis. Build the power supply on the terminal lugs by the power transformer. See the pictures I posted.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Dec 25, 2007 1:18 pm 
Experienced
Experienced

Thank you :D :D

By George, I think I've got it!!!