trinityamps.com

Trinity Amps Guitar Amp Forum
It is currently Wed Jul 17, 2024 5:24 pm

All times are UTC - 5 hours [ DST ]

PostPosted: Fri Jan 11, 2008 1:11 am 
Novice
Novice

I've noticed that when I have the cut control up (anything higher than about one o'clock) The signal gets fizzie. It gets worse the more I crank the master volume. In fact when the cut control is up past three o'clock the master volume really doesn't raise the volume up and gets fizzier and fizzier the more you turn it up. If I turn the cut control all the way left the master volume control acts like it should and the volume of the amp acts normal except there is just a little bit of that fizzieness when it's dimed and the volume control is turned up.

Any advice on what to try? Should I rewire the cut control and the master volume? Is it possible to take the cut control out of the circuit by simply disconnecting the wires to it?

I have a gig on Saturday and was going to take this amp. Hopefully I'll get the problem worked out by then.

Eric

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Jan 11, 2008 8:14 am 
Holy Ghost
Holy Ghost

If you suspect the cut control, you can disconnect it to confirm it is the problem. It is independent (in parallel actually) of the Master Volume but check the wiring to be sure it's connected that way. If that's the problem, it's probably the potentiometer. You can sub a resistor in there at your fav setting as a stop-gap & to confirm it's the pot.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Jan 11, 2008 3:45 pm 
Novice
Novice

coco wrote:
If you suspect the cut control, you can disconnect it to confirm it is the problem. It is independent (in parallel actually) of the Master Volume but check the wiring to be sure it's connected that way. If that's the problem, it's probably the potentiometer. You can sub a resistor in there at your fav setting as a stop-gap & to confirm it's the pot.

What would be a good resistor size to sub?

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Jan 11, 2008 3:57 pm 
Holy Ghost
Holy Ghost

Clsoe to Half the value of the Pot perhaps?

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Jan 11, 2008 5:11 pm 
Novice
Novice

coco wrote:
Clsoe to Half the value of the Pot perhaps?

Thanks Stephen. I'm going to swing by the local electronics store today and pick up what I need.

Even with the cut control all the way down this thing rocks like there's no tomorrow. I haven't finished my cab yet so I've been plugging into an old Peavey classic 112e cab I had around. It rocked that lousy Peavey speaker.

Just for fun I made made a speaker cable so that I could plug the amp into the speaker only of my Ampeg Reverberocket amp essentially using the amp as a cab. Wow, it opened up a whole other world of tones. Whatever speakers Ampeg put in these Reverberocket reissues really compliments the Lightning 15.

One more quick question. What size of feet are you guys putting on these heads? I bought this:

http://www.mojomusicalsupply.com/item.a ... id=9000001

When I got them they seem a little big. I figure maybe I'll save them and put them on the cab.

Ok, two questions. do you have faceplate and backplate templates for the lightning with the cut control? I'm thinking of trying to work up some custom versions.

Thanks,

Eric

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Jan 11, 2008 9:15 pm 
Holy Ghost
Holy Ghost

Feet are about 1" dia X .5" high. PM/email me about panels.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sat Jan 12, 2008 5:48 pm 
Novice
Novice

The plot thickens.

Ok, I removed the connections from the cut control to the Master and then fired the amp up. Something I didn't expect happened. Once I'd turned the Master up to about 1/3rd and higher it started cackling and fizzing getting worse as I moved it to full on. Totally weird. So as you told me in a post above I decide to wire in a 130 k resistor to pins two and three of the master to see if it makes a difference. It didn't do a darn thing. I wired in a 120k resistor with the same result.

I decide to wire things back up they way they are supposed to be and the original problem returned. i.e. The master volume works fine if the cut is turned completely counterclockwise but starts to fizzle and lose power as you turn the cut control up.

I'm starting to wonder if it isn't the master pot that isn't defective. I still think it's weird that it behaves perfectly when they cut control is turned down yet starts to fizzle when the cut is completely removed from the circuit. Maybe the master is malfunctioning when certain frequencies are allowed to go through the circuit and turning the cut off gets rid of the frequencies causing the problem.

Any more ideas or do you think I should just replace the master? Maybe I'll get replacements for both the cut and master. Are there prefered replacements or should the pots at my local electronics emporium do the job?

I'm still going to gig the amp tonight. I'll just leave the cut control turned down.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Feb 22, 2008 6:36 pm 
Experienced
Experienced

the only time my 15 every gave me trouble, it was somewhat the same. Very fizzy and worse the more either the cut or the treble were turned up past 12 oclock.

It ended up being one of my power tubes. I put in a new set of EL84 and everything was back to normal (and has been since last august when it happened).

AJC

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Feb 22, 2008 8:00 pm 
Holy Ghost
Holy Ghost

There's not much left after the MV if you've removed the cut control. Disconnect the MV as well and see if it fizzes when you turn the vol up. If so go probsably the Output tubes. IF not, probably the MV . Get a 1M audio, 3/8" Alpha is good but any make should do.