trinityamps.com

Trinity Amps Guitar Amp Forum
It is currently Tue Jul 16, 2024 4:00 pm

All times are UTC - 5 hours [ DST ]

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sun Jan 13, 2008 8:11 pm 
Holy Ghost
Holy Ghost

Well, I guess you be Cooking Up some Hot Music now instead of dinner!! 8)

Really glad it worked first time - thats always a bonus!!

Congratulations and good suggestions as well.

For the input jacks, I build them out side the amp at approx the correct spacing and then just force them and the wires into place. That has worked so far, but the idea to do them before, using the bare chassis is good idea.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sun Jan 20, 2008 12:37 pm 
Friend
Friend

Clips are up on the clips page,

Ok, here are some pictures of the cabinet building fun... Not wanting to mess around with tolex, we went with oak and it will be stained...

Here's some cut pieces with the finger joints...

Here's the outside of the head cabinet...

And another view...

I had to make a few adjustments to the plan based on the available wood widths at Lowe's and Home Depot so it will be interesting to see how it all turns out, but I will let you know!

AG

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sun Jan 20, 2008 1:10 pm 
Experienced
Experienced

Interesting look with the white chickenhead knobs. Can't wait to see how this thing turns out! Nice work.

Edit - Thanks for the mention BTW. Glad my work could help someone else. 8)

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Jan 21, 2008 8:53 pm 
Friend
Friend

Ok, so here's another day back at it. Now that we are through the finger joint set up, stuff moved pretty quickly. Here's a series of pictures showing the development of the face plate:

Marked:

Holes cut for the top and bottom slots:

Top and bottom slots cut:

Routing on the back:

And we are finally starting to look like a cabinet...

Won't get to do more till the weekend, but pictures will follow!

AG

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Jan 22, 2008 10:51 am 
Holy Ghost
Holy Ghost

That's going to be quite the cabinet there!

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sun Jan 27, 2008 12:55 am 
Friend
Friend

Well, we are nearing completion. After my bass player/master craftsman sanded the shasta out of it last week, we were looking at this today:

On the inside, he had added some supports, I told him I would never take the faceplate off and he believed me! :)

We also drilled out holes for the chassis bolts, handles and feet, but the most important bit that remained was the roundover. We talked about it for a bit and then went for it. This is the result with the metal front grill in place but not painted yet (the grill will be black in the end...)

For those of you keeping score, we went with a 1/4" roundover on the face plate cutouts and a 3/8" roundover around the outside dimensions. Since the wood from Lowe's was not wide enough for an insert faceplate like on a regular Marshall cab, we decided the smaller roundovers would allow us to keep a "chunky" overall appearance which we are quite pleased with. This will also go with the ridiculously oversized rubber feet that I got for it. All that remains is for me to finish the sanding, staining and hardware application. We will contine to plug away at the speaker cabs but we at least wanted the head finished for this week's gig as the tone on the 18 watt blows my JCM 900 out of the water. I should have pics of the completed head up by Thursday.

As always, thanks for looking and for the comments!

AG

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sun Jan 27, 2008 10:35 am 
Holy Ghost
Holy Ghost

Looking very nice. Next step, Sand, sand, sand!! :wink:

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Jan 30, 2008 1:02 am 
Friend
Friend

Done!

:D

AG

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Jan 30, 2008 8:48 am 
Holy Ghost
Holy Ghost

Beautiful Job! Lovely grain! Sounds as good as it looks too! :D

What size is the cab and what finish is on it?

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Jan 30, 2008 8:48 am 
Experienced
Experienced

Nice cabinet work Ag! The finish really makes the grain pop! The grille is a nice touch of subtlety.

JP

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Feb 01, 2008 12:50 am 
Friend
Friend

Hey guys, thanks for the compliments. The depth was a hard limit of 7" due to the width of Lowe's lumber, and we are hanging out the back a smidge at that! We then just kinda eyeballed the rest to make it look good and went with a width of 23.5" and a height of 8.5" outside dimentions. The stain is Minwax Sedona Red and I used a satin Minwax rub-on poly. I should be able to post a few other pics and thoughts for anyone wanting to try this themselves this weekend and we are also going to do some more work on the speaker cabs.

Thanks Again!

AG

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Feb 06, 2008 1:32 am 
Friend
Friend

Just a little wrap up on the head... Here is the head cabinet during the staining process:

and here are the grill pieces:

We were originally not going to have a back grill like that but instead were going to have a removable wood piece that mirrored the front but due to the very narrow wood available, we basically had to flush mount the back, which means the Impedence knob and boost swich are sticking out there, but with care it really shouldn't be a problem. The grill is made from some stamped metal stock from Lowe's which was very expensive but looks sharp. It was not strong enough to stand as a back grill on it's own, so I JB Welded some metal bars to make a frame. A little black spray paint tied it together.

The speaker cabinets are progressing nicely and here are a few shots of those...

and for comparison, here is the original sketch that we started out with a couple of weeks ago:

We made several changes but managed to keep the feel, I think. The front plate was originally to be inset like on a traditional Marshall cab but we had to flush mount it due to the wood width constraints. We also lost the back plate for the same reason. I actually like what we ended up with better than the original design.

More pics of the speaker cabinets will be forthcoming!

Thanks for looking!

AG

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Feb 06, 2008 8:46 am 
Holy Ghost
Holy Ghost

That's an interesting design. Like a 212 slantcab. For the cabs, are they closed back?

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Feb 06, 2008 9:32 pm 
Friend
Friend

Well, the idea is that we will put the jack on a seperate tab that will hang down on the back so they can be either open or closed, but you know how plans go :lol:

AG

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sun Feb 24, 2008 6:09 pm 
Friend
Friend

Wow, a bit of unsolicited advice: having your parents stay with you for 2 weeks is not conducive to Getting Things Done. Not that I have been totally slack lately, I did get a distortion pedal made:

But at last we are finally back in cabinet mode in full swing:

I think this picture shows that if anybody ever wanted to play around with a two-tone cabinet, it could look pretty sharp!

Here's some pics of the stained speaker cabs:

They should be finished and running by Wednesday or so.

Thanks for looking!

AG

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sun Feb 24, 2008 8:13 pm 
Holy Ghost
Holy Ghost

Very cool. It will be interesting to see when it all comes together. Nice joint on those ca corners too! :wink:

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Feb 25, 2008 12:43 am 
Friend
Friend

Thanks, I really can't claim any credit on these cabs. Aside from some yeses and no's on design questions and some finishing sanding and staining, this one was mostly my bass player/master craftsman. I think it will look pretty classy altogther though. We are going to use 30 watt G12H's. We are pretty excited to finally hear the complete ensemble, keeping in mind the speakers will need to break in for a while. The guys in the band still love the sound of the sIII, even if it doesn't make me play any quieter :lol:

The poly is drying now so I should start assembling tomorrow and we'll see how far I get!

AG

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Feb 27, 2008 1:57 am 
Friend
Friend

A little more work today, here's a picture of them near complete:

For anybody keeping track, everything is 3/4" oak or 3/4" oak veneer plywood. The rough outside dimensions are: height: 23", width: 14.5", 11" deep at the bottom and 8" deep at the top. The angle starts about 8" from the bottom. The baffles themselves are about 13" by 14". I used 16 gauge wire and was able to test the connections on the bare speakers today. Everything sounds good so far. As a side question, does anybody know if on a Marshall style input jack, would you ever use the opposite lugs for anything in a speaker setup?

We managed to get one not quite square so there is a definite right and left one and if you try to set them beside each other the wrong way, they won't play nice :lol:

AG

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Feb 27, 2008 7:39 am 
Holy Ghost
Holy Ghost

Look nice.

Quote:
if on a Marshall style input jack, would you ever use the opposite lugs for anything in a speaker setup?

You might use it to switch in/out a second speaker.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Feb 28, 2008 3:27 am 
Friend
Friend

coco wrote:
Look nice.

Quote:
if on a Marshall style input jack, would you ever use the opposite lugs for anything in a speaker setup?

You might use it to switch in/out a second speaker.

That's a cool idea!

Well, here we go (almost) done!

Here's the heart of any good speaker cab:

8 ohm G12 H's. Celestion is supposed to be a good company but I don't know if I can trust anyone that can't print their boxes right side up...

Here's the "guts"

and the front before the grill:

and here's the pair:

and the whole set:

and finally, one comparison shot against a typical half stack:

We changed over the way we are attaching the back panels and like the idiot I am, I never picked up some new bolts to match, so I will have to do that tomorrow, then they will be done. Right now it is "open back". They sound great, a little bright which I will chalk up to open backs and speakers not being broken in yet. The results greatly exceeded my expectations and now we just need to get out and play with this completed set. I am planning on doing some covers for these out of vinyl probably, so I will post some shots with those when I finish.

As always, thanks for looking and for the comments!
AG