Trinity Amps Guitar Amp Forum
It is currently Tue Jul 16, 2024 4:22 pm

All times are UTC - 5 hours [ DST ]

PostPosted: Sun Feb 17, 2008 4:50 pm 
Expert
Expert

This is a quote from Stephen...

Quote:
The sIII is a two channel version of the Marshall 18 watt which incorporates Treble, Midrange, Bass, Volume and Master Volume. The second channel is the Tremolo channel from the original design, without Tremolo. This amp is a medium gain amp and is voiced to do the plexi sound very nicely. The range of tone is from spanky clean to Marshall grind. You can get a great Clapton Bluesbreaker sound and the Hendrix as well. This amp can handle Blues-Rock, Country & Reggae. Think a little JTM45.

The 18 watt TMB is also a two channel version of the Marshall 18 watt which incorporates a Treble, Midrange, Bass, Volume and Master Volume. The second channel is the Normal channel from the original 18 watt design. This amp is a high gain amp that does the 80s sound very nicely. It is intended for musicians who want plenty of grind and distortion. It does ZZTop very nicely. It is both responsive and aggressive. This amp does classic rock crunch to metal 'chugga-chugga' . Think modern Marshall.

Now there is also the sIII Plexi which THUMPS and grinds with a little less compressed tone than the others. The normal Channel provides way more overdrive than most 18 watt normal channels. The TMB channel is capable of some of the best clean sound out of an 18 watter. Crank up the gain and you are in crunch tone heaven. And it has this THUMP that the other variants don't. It's that frequency that moves pant legs! The Plexi sIII is much more like the '69 plexi where you get great cleans low on the volume knob and full bore distortion as you get above 2 or 3.
Sounds very much like a great 50 watt plexi, it has way more girth than most other 18 watters. The clean boost adds another dimension and it nails all those old AC-DC tones dead on and has way more gain on tap if needed.

Where does the v6 fit in? What's it sound like?

Thanks

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sun Feb 17, 2008 5:03 pm 
Holy Ghost
Holy Ghost

The v6 adds switchable output tubes and boost switch. The sound is close to a Fender Deluxe and an 18 watt grafted together. Think a creamy, softer sounding 18 watt amp, less crunch, more munch!

There are sound clips in the clippage section of both, and some posts as well.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sun Feb 17, 2008 5:32 pm 
Expert
Expert

Ok so I have heard the sIII v^ running with 6V6s now...It is quite tight and clean. The natural distorsion from the amp is quite tight and clean as well. Reminds me of a hot Fender.

I can't find clips of the amp running on EL84s though...

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sun Feb 17, 2008 6:18 pm 
Holy Ghost
Holy Ghost

Take a listen here to TMB & sIII clips: http://www.trinityamps.com/Trin18Sound.htm

And a couple more here:

viewtopic.php?t=726

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Mar 12, 2008 11:24 pm 
Expert
Expert

Since the v6 runs on EL84s and 6V6s dosent it have a sIII tone wiht the 84s and a "other tone" with the 6V6s?

Like what I am trying to say is is this basically a sIII with mods? I really like the sIII sound but I like the whole tube swapping idea.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Mar 13, 2008 6:57 am 
Holy Ghost
Holy Ghost

kurtlives wrote:
Since the v6 runs on EL84s and 6V6s dosent it have a sIII tone with the 84s and a "other tone" with the 6V6s?

Yes, that's correct. Creamy smoother, softer tone with the 6V6s.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Mar 14, 2008 11:48 am 
Expert
Expert

So is the EL84 side voiced to be a Plexi or sIII?

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Mar 14, 2008 12:57 pm 
Holy Ghost
Holy Ghost

It's either sIII or Plexi, you choose. The whole amp is voiced a certain way. The 6v6 option just changes the overall tone of it when switched in.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sat Mar 15, 2008 11:42 am 
Expert
Expert

Cool thanks for the info

I just finished my first build, but you will be hearing from me soon.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sat Mar 15, 2008 7:35 pm 
Expert
Expert

Also does the price include the cabinet?

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sat Mar 15, 2008 8:44 pm 
Holy Ghost
Holy Ghost

all the details are here: http://www.trinityamps.com/phpbb/viewtopic.php?t=950

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sat Mar 15, 2008 9:00 pm 
Expert
Expert

Yes I have seen that... So $375 does not include the price of the cab.....Hmm chassis is $100, where is the other $275 going?

Maybe I am all wrong.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sat Mar 15, 2008 9:36 pm 
Novice
Novice

I've had a V6 for a little over a year now. Let me tell you that it is a treasure trove of tasty tones. I've got a Strat , a Tele , and a LesPaul and I'm still blown away by all of the different sounds that I keep discovering.
One of my current favorites is a Tele into the normal channel with 6v6's and the Volume and Tone on 10. The EL84's are brighter. They work well with the LP. I got the boosted TMB channel as well.
I tried different ways to tame the loudness. So far , the best is Variable Voltage Reduction or VVR. There are threads on 18watt.com and SEwatt.com. UR12 (Dana ) was nice enough to post a schem of the circuit. It works like a charm.
As well as I remember the price doesn't include the transformers or the cabinet and speakers. What you do get for the money is a great looking chassis, all of the right pieces and parts from quality manufacturers , a set of beautifully done faceplates for front and rear in the case of the head, and the best instruction set on the planet, as well as Coco's back-up by these forums and by e-mail. Plus it all comes from one vendor so you don't get killed on shipping from multiple sources.
I paid more for mine than he's asking now. But, I have no complaints since I now have a custom built amp (By ME) that sounds better than the Mxxxall 1974x and cost hundreds less.

LeeMo