trinityamps.com

Trinity Amps Guitar Amp Forum
It is currently Tue Jul 16, 2024 5:36 am

All times are UTC - 5 hours [ DST ]

Post subject: Deluxe Finally Finished
PostPosted: Tue Jun 30, 2009 2:27 pm 
Novice
Novice

Now that I'm done teaching for the summer, I have managed to finish my cabinet. The new OT made all well. After countless hours of research, I decided to put a W***r Vintage Series 12F150 25 watt speaker in it. Lots of tweed spank in there. Here's the final product. And yes, that's doubled burlap lacquered for the grill cloth.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Jun 30, 2009 8:34 pm 
Holy Ghost
Holy Ghost

Nice vintage look to go along with the Tweed Tone. Doubled burlap lacquered ?

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Jun 30, 2009 8:43 pm 
Novice
Novice

Yeah Stephen, I bought some burlap for $1 a yard, folded it in half, stretched it over the baffle, and sprayed it with a few coats of clear lacquer to stiffen it up. I had posted a question on the tele forum about using burlap and a fellow posted some pictures of an amp he made using a burlap feed sack for grill cloth. It still had the seed company logo on it...looked pretty different.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Jul 01, 2009 3:40 pm 
Expert
Expert

Wouldn't burlap absorb the high frequencies...? :?

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Jul 01, 2009 8:01 pm 
Novice
Novice

zaphod wrote:
Wouldn't burlap absorb the high frequencies...? :?

You'd know better than I would Phil. I'm just a teacher, not an engineer like yourself. Have you had experience with burlap before or just using logic in asking your question? Though probably not acoustically transparent, it sounds good and sparkly to me, but perhaps I'll take it off and see if it opens up a bit. There is quite a bit of space between the strands and I thought the lacquer would have helped it some too. I've read here where many think the Deluxe's bass is too flubby, but I'm liking mine as is. Sounds great with a strat.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Jul 02, 2009 5:48 am 
Expert
Expert

Duke wrote:
You'd know better than I would Phil. I'm just a teacher, not an engineer like yourself. Have you had experience with burlap before or just using logic in asking your question? There is quite a bit of space between the strands and I thought the lacquer would have helped it some too.

Being an engineer only means I make half-informed guesses about stuff I don't know. :lol: And theory is worthless without experimental evidence. I just thought that burlap fibres looked kind of fluffy to be acoustically transparent, but like you say the shellac probably deals with that.
Duke wrote:
Though probably not acoustically transparent, it sounds good and sparkly to me, but perhaps I'll take it off and see if it opens up a bit.

Might be interesting to try some time, in the interests of the advancement of science - in other words just for fun. :)
Duke wrote:
I've read here where many think the Deluxe's bass is too flubby, but I'm liking mine as is. Sounds great with a strat.

It's probably fine with a Strat, but too flubby for an LP, especially when cranked. It's easy enough to fix though, with a couple or so small cap changes. But if you're only playing it fairly gently with a Strat, then there's no need to change anything. :D

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Jul 02, 2009 7:54 am 
Holy Ghost
Holy Ghost

Most of the heavy Marshall grill cloths I put on is not transparent e.g Salt & Pepper, Cane, Bluesbreaker etc. Fender cloth is better at this than Marshall except maybe the recent Marshall basket weave

As for the burlap, it would be closer to the Marshall stuff if it was lacquered on both sides. One difference with the Marshall is the weave material has a very hard finish. The softer will absorb high end.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Jul 02, 2009 9:19 am 
Novice
Novice

coco wrote:
Most of the heavy Marshall grill cloths I put on is not transparent e.g Salt & Pepper, Cane, Bluesbreaker etc. Fender cloth is better at this than Marshall except maybe the recent Marshall basket weave

As for the burlap, it would be closer to the Marshall stuff if it was lacquered on both sides. One difference with the Marshall is the weave material has a very hard finish. The softer will absorb high end.

Okay, now between the two of you I'm going to try a few things:
#1 I'll take the cloth off and try it without.
#2 I'll use a singe layer with a full can of lacquer

I'm used to my 18 watter, so that's my frame of reference. I may be surprised when the cloth comes off. I have also been playing an LP through it, but it likes my strat much better. Maybe that will change too.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Jul 02, 2009 12:08 pm 
Experienced
Experienced

Be careful you don't turn the burlap into a sheet of plexiglass with too much lacquer :lol:
You may end up with an iso-cab!

The cab came out great BTW. Nice job!!

Joe G

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sun Jul 05, 2009 9:43 am 
Expert
Expert

coco wrote:
Most of the heavy Marshall grill cloths I put on is not transparent e.g Salt & Pepper, Cane, Bluesbreaker etc. Fender cloth is better at this than Marshall except maybe the recent Marshall basket weave.... One difference with the Marshall is the weave material has a very hard finish. The softer will absorb high end.

Yes, those Marshall cloths don't look ideal, but at least they're a good bit thinner than burlap, and like you say they have a hard finish. My old Marshall Mercury combo, that I built an 18W Lite inside of, has a Marshall checkerboard grill cloth material that seems to be woven from fine plastic-coated wire. I think that material is acoustically completely transparent.