trinityamps.com

Trinity Amps Guitar Amp Forum
It is currently Tue Jul 16, 2024 7:55 pm

All times are UTC - 5 hours [ DST ]

PostPosted: Sat May 21, 2011 1:31 am 
Expert
Expert

gotie wrote:
I'm new too Geo but for what it's worth I think any 6L6GC, old or new, should fit and run fine in a Tramp.

Any 6L6GC will indeed work. The question is whether after spending all that time and money on building your own amp, do you want to cheap out with a mediocre sounding power tube?? So that's why, when asked, I recommended US-made NOS 6L6GCs.
geo516 wrote:
Will the old 6L6gc blackplate tubes work in the tramp?

Those would be perfect, if you don't mind spending the money. :D The GC indicates the 30W rating.

gotie wrote:
As for the plain or non GC 6L6 type, I'm not sure, but I think they should be OK, however I would not put the VRM at maximum voltage just to make sure. Maybe 7 or 8 would ensure that the tube does not get too much voltage. I think I read something to that effect in another thread.

The way Stephen and I designed this amp was only for 6L6GC tubes. So it's not a great idea to run other types of 6L6s in it with lower power ratings. I'm also not too impressed with the idea of using a power tube that prevents you running the amp at full power when you want to. :|

PostPosted: Sat May 21, 2011 8:10 am 
Friend
Friend

Thanks so much for the info. Now I just need to find a good one.

PostPosted: Sat May 21, 2011 12:06 pm 
Expert
Expert

New production Winged =C= and Tung Sol STR are nice 6L6GCs are nice I have found.

PostPosted: Sun May 22, 2011 12:29 am 
Expert
Expert

Yes, those are nice, and certainly the higher end of modern production tubes. But for just a few $$ more you can buy genuine vintage NOS tubes with some real classic tone.

PostPosted: Sat May 28, 2011 11:50 am 
Novice
Novice

Thanks for the heads up on Ruby.

I'm going to dig through my box of NOS stuff again and see what I have for 6L6GC type tubes

And to gotie - I'm glad the pictures helped out

PostPosted: Sat Jun 04, 2011 10:37 pm 
Novice
Novice

Just received two old 6L6GC in the mail

Attachment:
Tramp 78.jpg
Tramp 78.jpg [ 485.73 KiB | Viewed 7488 times ]

One is a RCA black plate and the other is a Sylvania.

The RCA is plugged in a socket saver because it has lost it's keypin. I use the saver because it's easier to plug it in correctly in the amp.

I started with the Sylvania and haven't tried the RCA yet because the Sylvania sounds so good I don't want to take it out. :)

As someone posted before, you get a tone similar to a 6V6 but with more clean headroom. You also get more volume, the speaker works harder and the amp seems to become more alive and the tone seems wider, fuller. You can also choose to throttle it down with the VRM and Master volume and that more powerful beast stays very manageable.

So in conclusion I can say that I like the 6V6 tube but the 6L6 (Sylvania or RCA, we'll see) will stay in the amp because it's like a 6V6 on steroids (in a good wholesome way).

The price for used old american tubes can be as low as 30$ or 40$. The trick is to buy single tubes. As was posted earlier, the price goes up when they are offered in pairs or 4 at a time. The buyers are then looking for matched tubes which we, Tramp users, don't need.

Attachments:
Tramp 77.jpg
Tramp 77.jpg [ 508.44 KiB | Viewed 7488 times ]

PostPosted: Sun Jun 05, 2011 8:13 am 
Friend
Friend

How about the 12ax7's? Should you buy nos or new? And 1or2? I know the tramp has spots for up to 2.

PostPosted: Sun Jun 05, 2011 12:43 pm 
Expert
Expert

gotie wrote:
Just received two old 6L6GC in the mail.
One is a RCA black plate and the other is a Sylvania.

I started with the Sylvania and haven't tried the RCA yet because the Sylvania sounds so good I don't want to take it out. :)

Awesome! :thumbsup: :D But you've got to try the RCA as well.

gotie wrote:
The price for used old american tubes can be as low as 30$ or 40$. The trick is to buy single tubes. As was posted earlier, the price goes up when they are offered in pairs or 4 at a time. The buyers are then looking for matched tubes which we, Tramp users, don't need.

That's the Tramp advantage. :D

geo516 wrote:
How about the 12ax7's? Should you buy nos or new? And 1or2? I know the tramp has spots for up to 2.

Again buy NOS if you can. They will add more richness and clarity to your tone. Used preamp tubes can also be fine, as they don't normally get worked real hard, and you can buy used ones that have been tested and graded. At the moment, there aren't any specific plans to use the extra socket in the Tramp chassis, so you only need one tube. However, you might like to buy a couple of different kinds to try out, like you did with the 6L6s.

PostPosted: Sun Jun 05, 2011 3:44 pm 
Novice
Novice

Yes, I will certainly try the RCA to hear how it sounds.

I have also bought a used Telefunken 12AX7 which will be put to use.

PostPosted: Sun Jun 05, 2011 6:16 pm 
Friend
Friend

Are 12ax7's the same as 12ax7a's?

PostPosted: Sun Jun 05, 2011 7:04 pm 
Experienced
Experienced

Yes
IFIRC they are a low noise version developed by RCA

Tele's make the best noise