trinityamps.com

Trinity Amps Guitar Amp Forum
It is currently Tue Jul 16, 2024 7:37 pm

All times are UTC - 5 hours [ DST ]

PostPosted: Tue May 06, 2008 8:29 pm 
Holy Ghost
Holy Ghost

Summer's here. BBQ time. 8)

When I was in Houston, I went to the Goode Company for nice slo cooked BBQ. I prefer the western BBQ over the eastern.

Pretty darn good BBQ IMO. So where is your fave place for BBQ.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue May 06, 2008 10:47 pm 
Friend
Friend

i like any place that has pulled pork or chicken. i grew up eating pulled pork when my mom worked in a bbq restaurant in alabama.

i refuse to eat at any bbq place that cooks in a crock pot and uses liquid smoke. if i can't smell the smoke from the street, i will keep driving.

my wife has recently got me into eating brisket...she's from missouri and brisket is a big midwestern bbq meat.

but, being that i'm in tn, i have to say that i love ribs. wet ribs, dry rub ribs, boneless ribs (country-style is what they grocery store calls them), smoked ribs... any kind of rib.

If you need to find me, just go to the end of the longest line.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed May 07, 2008 8:12 am 
Friend
Friend

We've got a butcher shop in town that does BBQ catering. He built a trailer size BBQ he pulls behind a truck. He can do two whole hogs and a couple hundred racks of ribs in one pass. It fires up with raw wood or charcoal, and has enough controls to keep the chamber at an even and smooth 200 degrees.

Most Saturday mornings he has the thing fired up and cooking a pig or two in the parking lot. You can smell it from any of the 4 or 5 grocery stores within a km or so. It's like crack, the first smell is free, but then.....

Anyone that pulls into his parking lot buys a lot of meat.

Anyway, I bought a Traegar:

http://www.traegergrills.com/grills/lil_tex.cfm

...and everything is better. I used to cook steaks at high on a propane grill at 2 minutes per side. I'm now cooking at 200 to 225 degrees for 30 to 40 minutes, (wireless remote talking meat thermometer tells me when it's done), and loving it.

Because there is no direct flame, (you are cooking with hot smoke), there is no issue with charring and the associated cancer risk with heterocyclic amines created with high temp meat cooking.

Paul

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed May 07, 2008 8:24 am 
Friend
Friend

i rarely bbq anything at home. i dont have time for it. i only have time to grill and smoke.

i use a box with wood chips inside a gas grill. i usually use mesquite or hickory chips. soak them with water for about 10 minutes, then put them in the smoker box. they usually start smoking in about the time that it takes to heat up the grill. i've never cooked a steak on high at 2 minutes per side. normal size chops are usually 20-25 minutes. most meats that i cook go for 20-30 minutes. burgers are usually about 15. again, this is grilling, not bbqing.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri May 09, 2008 6:05 am 
Holy Ghost
Holy Ghost

I want a smoker - maybe that Traeger is the ticket to get me that good 'ol Texa BBQ flavour. I currently use a steel box like drwx.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri May 09, 2008 7:27 am 
Friend
Friend

coco wrote:
I want a smoker - maybe that Traeger is the ticket to get me that good 'ol Texa BBQ flavour. I currently use a steel box like drwx.

The Traegar is not a pure smoker, it's a great blend of smoking and cooking features. I got the "digital temperature control". Basically you set the temp you want, and the unit controls the auger that feeds the wood pellets to the fire box to hold the temp close to what you want. At the "smoke" setting, it'll hold at about 200 degrees in direct sun, and it'll drop to the 170's at night in the summer. The high setting is about 450 degrees, which will cook fresh, (not frozen), burgers in about 8 minutes per side. Lately I've been enjoying burgers cooked with Mesquite pellets, and beef cooked with a cherry/oak blend. I like pork cooked with apple/maple pellets.

Once a month I'll do a sirloin tip roast, 5 pounds or so. It takes about 6 hours at 200 degrees to get the meat up to rare, (140 degrees internal). Very large chicken breasts take about an hour @ 300-ish degrees.

The wood pellets are unique to Traegar, (you can't use heating fuel pellets, too many chemical additives), and cost about $1.00 per pound. At low heat settings, it'll burn about 1/2# per hour, at high maybe 1.5# per hour. The energy to run the fan and auger is about the same as a 60 Watt light bulb. The cooker will NOT run without electricity. There are folks in town who have hooked up a deep cycle battery, a solar powered trickle charger and an inverter and have an "always ready" back up power supply for their cooker.

Try and find somebody close who has one. Chances are they'll invite you for a taste and you'll get a good sense of what a Trager can do.

Failing that, come to Brantford with bradovka the next time he visits here and I'll cook you some pulled pork. Bring tubes, nothing is for free. :wink:

Paul

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri May 09, 2008 3:41 pm 
Holy Ghost
Holy Ghost

Tubes?? as in Tube Steak?? 8)

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri May 09, 2008 7:44 pm 
Friend
Friend

coco wrote:
Tubes?? as in Tube Steak?? 8)

pre-packaged, marinated tenderloins kinda look like pig tube-steak.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri May 09, 2008 7:59 pm 
Holy Ghost
Holy Ghost

Quote:
Failing that, come to Brantford with bradovka the next time he visits here and I'll cook you some pulled pork. Bring tubes, nothing is for free.

Sounds like a fun plan! bradovka lemme know!

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sat May 10, 2008 7:58 pm 
Novice
Novice

http://www.memphisinmay.org/wbcc.htm
http://memphisinmayphotos.org/mimgaller ... %20Contest
Next week!! 8)

LeeMo

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed May 21, 2008 11:27 pm 
Expert
Expert

Hmmm, I don't know
I would be happy just to pick coco's brain in payment for the BBQ, IMHO. :lol: :D

Sorry, I love learning. Which is why I never quit. :D :D

LeeMoooooooooo....... Hey what's up!

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sat May 24, 2008 9:25 am 
Friend
Friend

That Traegar sounds pretty cool. I've never seen one. I'll have to check that out. Can you cook direct on it too, or is it just a smoker? Right now, I occasionally use my charcoal grill to smoke pork butts (shoulder roasts) and beer-can chickens, but you have to re-load the coals every hour or so. :roll:

For you guys cooking pulled pork, let me put in a plug for a barbecue sauce from my homeland. It's a mustard-based sauce that is great with pork and chicken. You can't really buy it retail outside of South Carolina and Georgia, but you can make it pretty easily. Here's a link to a recipe:

http://www.smoker-cooking.com/mustardbarbequesauce.html

Rich

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon May 26, 2008 12:32 pm 
Expert
Expert

I just have to ask! What's "beer-can chicken" :shock: :? :?:

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon May 26, 2008 1:53 pm 
Experienced
Experienced

Beer can chicken, take a beer can, remove most of the contents :D and then place a cleaned chicken so it is "standing" with the upright beer can "stuffed" into the internal cavity of the chicken. Cook, bake, grill etc.

The remaining beer (if there is any) in the can steams and flavors the interior of the chicked while the outside is roasting / baking.

Supposed to be realy good although I've never tried it.

My scottish side keeps telling me it's a waste o good brew :P :P

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon May 26, 2008 7:40 pm 
Holy Ghost
Holy Ghost

The chicken is very good and moist. Sub ginger ale if real ale is a waste!!

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue May 27, 2008 8:37 am 
Friend
Friend

Here's a picture I took a while back of some chickens on my grill. I used Heineken keg cans, which are slightly fatter than normal.

I usually drink half the beer, add seasonings to the remaining beer, and punch some additional holes in the top of the can before putting the birds on the grill.

Here's the shot. It reminds me of a Peter Gabriel video from the 80s for some reason...

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue May 27, 2008 10:59 am 
Expert
Expert

OMG :shock: :shock: :shock: :shock:
Those are some beautiful crispy (I love crispy, yummy) looking BBQ chicken's Wow!
I was about to write, balking at placing aluminum inside a chicken while cooking. But I think I'll back off of that thought.
Must try :D :D
Thanks guys, I love new ideas for food.

Oh, I remember a video with chickens, Do not remember if it was Peter Gabriel though.

I'm not kidding, I set it as my background. Don't want to forget till I try :lol: :lol:

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue May 27, 2008 11:10 am 
Expert
Expert

The more I look :lol:
This looks like a rotisserie chicken (ya know, store bought). What's the taste like :?:
Guess I'll just have to drink some Heineken :shock: :lol: :lol: 8)

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue May 27, 2008 11:28 am 
Expert
Expert

Okay;
Here's my BBQ story.

When I was driving, every Thursday I drove all over central PA. My last stop was near state college. Down the road from my stop was this tent that looked like it was actually cooking pigs there. They advertised pulled pork. I don't know about you guys, but I love :D :D pulled pork. So I started asking the locals about it. Well, the place was so famous, they came from all over (and I mean ALL OVER ) just to get these HUGE pans of pork. And there sauce was supposed to be top notch and the owners made so much, they opened 2 more tents in the area.
Of course (I'm sorry) I no longer remember the name. Hopefully, I''ll remember 1 day. I think you can get it over the internet.

Anyway, after I researched it. Got a sandwich for $5.00 with sauce. OMG, it was the biggest sandwich I ever had and the best pulled pork ever. There they are cooking the pigs in a fire pit, so cool.
I saved 1/2 the sandwich for my son who won't eat pork for nothing. Well, he ate it, after much (twist the arm really hard) arguing.
Well from then on I bought a $10.00 dollar container every week.
What a BBQ and what a cool thing. You don't see something like that anymore. For holidays and fund raisers, but not commercial.
You felt like you were stepping into the past. It was such a cool fire pit.
Well, that's my vote for the best, I can drive there, I know exactly where it's located, just can't remember the name. :lol: :lol:
Sorry so long,
Later

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue May 27, 2008 4:18 pm 
Friend
Friend

I never did cast my vote for the best cue in North America, and I think that you'll find that just about everyone's favorite is what they grew up with. Just like my favorite is pulled pork cue with a mustard sauce from the Midlands of South Carolina. You can find great cue (pork, beef, chicken, goat, etc.) all over the country...well...except for Washington, DC in my experience. Talk about your crock pots and liquid smoke :roll:

Jac's barbecue story from central PA sounds like the quintessential great barbecue experience to me. BBQ is best in a rural or semi-rural area conducted by professionals without neon signs and 20 locations. A homemade plywood sign and a screen door is a good indication of quality. Bonus points for spelling errors on the sign and holes in the screen door.

Having said all that, Hites BBQ in West Columbia, SC is my all-time favorite. :wink: