trinityamps.com

Trinity Amps Guitar Amp Forum
It is currently Tue Jul 16, 2024 6:46 pm

All times are UTC - 5 hours [ DST ]

PostPosted: Mon May 26, 2008 3:36 pm 
Experienced
Experienced

TOOL SUGGESTION: I just tried the Ideal grip-n-strip #45-227 wire strippers. They are great!! Friend of mine who used to work at Bell Aerospace suggested them.

Just finished with installing the VRM module into my SIIIv6 :D

First an apology, no pictures :oops: one of these days I'm going to have to break down and get a digital camera :(

Next: manditory safety warning :evil: Make sure the caps are safely discharged and you know what you are doing !! Leathal voltages and all that!!

Second: TAKE YOUR TIME!! The space inside the SIIIv6 chassis with the tube select and boost switch is getting tight!

The module came in a cushioned package with a cardboard protector over the anti-static bag. Be careful, the mica insulator shim is in there too!! Nice packaging job Stephen. :D

I chose to use a standard pot (Ratshack 1M linear) and located the pot / control knob on the back of the amp.
Going this route requires that 3 holes be drilled into the chassis :shock:
No heat transfer grease yet, the shack didn't have any and what they have is $13 plus shipping for web sales. :shock:

My method for drilling the chassis is to securely tape the rear plexi plate (if you have an older kit, Stephens newer ones are screen printed) to the chassis to help prevent the plexi from grabbing the drill and breaking.

Use a sharp drill and use a drill stop. My drill stop is two 1/4" wide strips of duct tape wound around the drill bit about 3/8" from the end to help prevent "overdrilling". My biggest fear was the drill breaking through the chassis and wiping out the board, or wiring or something important
:shock: :shock:
Remember to deburr all of the drilled holes

Take it SLOW and don't push too hard!! The nice thing about the duct tape is that it holds onto some of the chips.

The most difficult part of the install was relocating the tube select switch.

Because of space limitationsand to keep the wiring short the VRM pot needs to go where the tube select switch is located and the mounting hole needs to be enlarged to accept the pot.

The tube select switch is relocated between the impedance selector and the speaker out jack. This needs to be a .250" diameter hole for the supplied Trinity switch.

The rewiring of the tube select switch will require that some of the connecting wires be shortened and others lengthened. It's pretty obvious what wires need what done to them :D To "streach" the wires that required it I just spliced them and covered the joint with heat shrink.

The old tube select hole now needs to be enlarged to about a .264" (has to be larger than 1/4") for the control pot. Mount the control pot fasten it down.

Next is to locate where the VRM module will be located on the chassis. For me it was between the 6v6 tube socket and the gounding lug next the power transformer. I wound up putting it in "upside down" from how it is shown on the layout.

Mark the location and drill a .125" hole for mounting the VRM module.
Next I scuffed the chassis aluminum up a bit with a scotchbrite pad to remove surface oxidation and hopefully get some better heat transfer.
Carefully mount the VRM module with the mica shim between the module and the chassis and tighten the mounting screw.
If you have heat transfer grease, a thin layer between the mica and the chassis and between the mica and the VRM is required.

Now just follow the layout for the hookup :D :D

viewtopic.php?t=1176

Remember to braid the wires from the VRM to the control pot (I didn't :oops: )

I did all the above and got a functioning VRM.

Now I'm going to give it a workout and will report back :D

Hope this helps!!

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon May 26, 2008 7:39 pm 
Holy Ghost
Holy Ghost

It does. I can use this in a manual!! The new amps dont have rear panels making installation a bit less stressful!!
We'd all love to see pics some time!!

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sun Jun 01, 2008 8:04 am 
Friend
Friend

Here are a few snapshots of the VRM install on my SIIIv6. There are some extra wires on my setup as I moved the boost and tube select switches to the front panel and put them on push-pull pots.

Thanks for the helpful tips, jcny! :D You're right, it is a bit cramped in there. Didn't get a chance to play with it too much, but it seemed to work great. The real test will be if my wife is happy with the lower volumes!!! :roll:

Last edited by oxfordmini on Mon Jun 02, 2008 4:09 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sun Jun 01, 2008 9:39 am 
Holy Ghost
Holy Ghost

Really nice job on the build & installation! Keep us posted on how it works & performs.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sun Jun 01, 2008 6:09 pm 
Expert
Expert

Tighten up your wiring, looks very sloppy.

Just kidding, looks killer. :D

Did you experience any noise issue when moving the switches to push pull pots?

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sun Jun 01, 2008 10:11 pm 
Friend
Friend

No, kurt, no noise issues. Just as quiet as before the modification. Thanks for the compliment! :D

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Jun 02, 2008 6:58 am 
Experienced
Experienced

I've found my solder buddy! Great job :o

Joe G

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Jun 02, 2008 4:17 pm 
Friend
Friend

Had a chance to play some today and the tone seems to really stay consistent throughout the range of the VRM, even with the B+ dropped way down. I used an audio taper pot for my VRM and it seems to be pretty smooth. Only one little issue seems to be, and it is completely minor to me, the volume pot on my guitars are a bit scratchy with the VRM turned down. Could there be some DC leaking onto the guitar's volume pot? I really like the VRM. It's going to be great for practicing at home at reasonable volumes and then crank it back up to play with a band. Great work, Coco! You saved me over $200 as I was considering a Hot Plate to keep the peace at home.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Jun 03, 2008 8:20 am 
Experienced
Experienced

Hey oxfordmini

That scratchiness is a side effect of having the VRM. I observe the same behaviour in my TC-15. On my amp, I found that where the scratchiness manifests, the volume is so low, that it is a non issue to me.

I am also quite happy with the VRM!! :D

Coco is considering methods to quell the scratch, though. Any updates on this, coco?

JP

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Jun 03, 2008 10:00 am 
Experienced
Experienced

Does the scratchy guitar pot phenomena go away with a buffered/non-true bypassed pedal in the chain, like a noise gate for example. Something that's typically on all of the time. Maybe that would at least isolate the guitar itself from the issue. Just a thought... :idea:

Joe G

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Jun 04, 2008 12:39 am 
Experienced
Experienced

Does this amp have the entire high voltage rail (all plates) variable or just the output tubes? The scratchy guitar pot was an issue over on Powerscaling.com as well but only on amps where V1 was scaled along with the rest of the amp. It's not a problem when only the output tubes or output and PI are scaled.
Stew

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Jun 04, 2008 7:55 am 
Holy Ghost
Holy Ghost

oxfordmini wrote:
Only one little issue seems to be, and it is completely minor to me, the volume pot on my guitars are a bit scratchy with the VRM turned down. Could there be some DC leaking onto the guitar's volume pot?

Yes - It does scale the whole B+.

Yes - At low voltages, there is some DC leakage through the V1.

If it is bothersome try this:

Remove the input cables to pin 2 from the tag strip. Install a 1M resistor to ground from hi grid resistor on the tag strip & another from the lo grid resistor on the tag strip.
Tip: Use the middle tag to anchor them as it goes to ground.
Then install a .1uf cap or less (see note) to each of the tags for the grid resistor and reconnect the input cables to the new caps. Let us know how it works out.

Like this:

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Jun 04, 2008 12:24 pm 
Experienced
Experienced

Time to try to post some pictures of the VRM install

This shows the "upside down" position of the VRM

The whole board

The back panel, I chose the BIG KNOB so that I could tell it was the VRM from the front

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Aug 15, 2008 6:36 pm 
Holy Ghost
Holy Ghost

There is another way to skin the cat to deal with any leaked DC. I'll post another layout soon.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Sep 18, 2008 10:37 pm 
Holy Ghost
Holy Ghost

Latest - Try this

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Sep 23, 2008 3:45 pm 
Experienced
Experienced

Just put a VRM in my S111 and am really pleased with the results(Thanks to the extreme patience of Coco!!!!!). Of course the tinkerer in me is thinking mods......What about a 1meg pot in an expression pedal so you could control the vol with your foot? I used to have a Seymour Duncan 100 watt Convertible which had a control with a footswitch out so you could do the same.Any opinions?

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Sep 23, 2008 6:44 pm 
Experienced
Experienced

G-log wrote:
Just put a VRM in my S111 and am really pleased with the results(Thanks to the extreme patience of Coco!!!!!). Of course the tinkerer in me is thinking mods......What about a 1meg pot in an expression pedal so you could control the vol with your foot? I used to have a Seymour Duncan 100 watt Convertible which had a control with a footswitch out so you could do the same.Any opinions?

Not totally up on the VRM but I think the pot takes a sample of the B+ so you'd have 3 or 400 volts on the cable out to the pedal. Probably not a good idea. Also if the VRM is in the B+ line ahead of the filtering, the caps are going to want to hold the voltage constant so the adjustment will not be fast.
Stew

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Sep 23, 2008 6:52 pm 
Experienced
Experienced

Right! I knew there was a reason I haven't seen it done that way. Thanx Stoo.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Sep 23, 2008 9:43 pm 
Experienced
Experienced

Stew is right... It is recommended that the pot wires be as short as possible, I'm assuming because of noise issues.

One relatively inexpensive approach...
I have seen somewhere (sorry, over 50) a flexshaft/pedal arrangement where you would remove the knob of the pot that you want to adjust, screw a coupling onto the pot bushing and tighten a set screw onto the pot shaft. From the other end you would essentially be rotating the pot with a sort of adapted wah type pedal coupled to the flexible shaft.
BTW... If you can't find it let me know and I'll invent it for you :wink:

Joe G

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Sep 23, 2008 10:41 pm 
Experienced
Experienced

Yeah I remember those- I too am ancient!!!':D' Electro Harmonix made one I believe.It was called the Hot foot.I sold a couple of them in a music shop I worked at when stuff was affordable -You know,$500 for a pre CBS Telecaster or an early 70s Les Paul........sigh.....