trinityamps.com

Trinity Amps Guitar Amp Forum
It is currently Tue Jul 16, 2024 6:42 pm

All times are UTC - 5 hours [ DST ]

Post subject: Trinity JTM 45
PostPosted: Sun Dec 23, 2007 3:29 pm 
Holy Ghost
Holy Ghost

Here's some pics of my JTM 45. Note the presence of some Mustard caps and SOZOs. Currently using Tung-Sol 12AX7s and matched pair of Shuguang KT66s in there.
Of course using the custom Trinity JTM 45 Power and Output transformer set.

Pretty close to the original sound, or so I'm told

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sun Dec 23, 2007 6:14 pm 
Experienced
Experienced

Stephen, that looks really nice :D

Didn't realize that the KT66's were so big :shock:

Any plans on production?

Merry Christmas!!

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Dec 24, 2007 1:12 pm 
Holy Ghost
Holy Ghost

Production Builds yes. Kits, not immediately.

Post subject: Board
PostPosted: Mon Dec 24, 2007 3:22 pm 

Nice Turret Board. :wink:

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Dec 24, 2007 3:27 pm 
Experienced
Experienced

Thanks for the info Stephen.

I need to get a TC-15 and a Deluxe kit and build them first :D

Then I'll be ready for a JTM45, so I have plenty of time before then.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sun Jan 06, 2008 11:13 pm 
Experienced
Experienced

I can say that this is one amazing 45. I have a blues breaker reissue combo and this amp just kills it. I upgraded the OT and added a PTP board with sozos and this amp just killed it. The Trinity 45 is super responsive and capable of sparkling cleans and searing overdrive.

If you need to have your pant legs fluttering in the breeze as you chug away, this might be the amp.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Jan 07, 2008 1:00 am 
Expert
Expert

Flutter me pant legs captain :D

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Jan 07, 2008 8:48 am 
Holy Ghost
Holy Ghost

Hey mate, can ya spare some mustard caps? Ye can see I'm a little short there.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Jan 07, 2008 6:19 pm 
Expert
Expert

I'm always on the look out, don't be scared of the second hand ones, I have not found one yet that is not bang on target. I have them in the sIII and my new Voxy style build.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Jun 18, 2008 6:46 am 
Holy Ghost
Holy Ghost

bgroup has taken it for a test run. Let's see what happens..

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Jun 18, 2008 9:29 pm 
Experienced
Experienced

Your JTM. Crazy amp. Also SOLD. In a word - grind. In 5 words - lots of great clean headroom. Neither of my Marshalls have much clean headroom so this is cool. And the grind on this amp is incredible - VERY different from my JCM800. Yes, the JTM has a "big amp" sound, but in a different way - the JCM has this vintage upper midrange thing that's very cool. I actually fell in love with my JCM800 again today. This is a good thing.

Your JTM is a much more hi-fi thing - bolder, stronger. not bigger, and not more forward, but just somehow more authoritative. And when it's grinding it's cleaner, but nastier. LOVE it! It's actually got "teeth" a la my JCM900 - totally different sound mind you (a much more vintage voice), but a similar "cut". So, I started with the JTM in my Marshall 1960 cab with 75's - cool, but I liked the JCM800 more through this cab. So I started wondering - maybe THIS is the Trinity amp that will love my 70's Hiwatt Fanes and my Marshall 4x12 with Greenbacks???

OH BABY! Did it ever LOVE those two cabs - Greens were "cracking" and "growling" and it sounded HUGE. With the Fanes it's one of the coolest sounds on the planet!! I was Pete for a few seconds there (well, not exactly, but I FELT like Pete!!) - had that Hiwatt thing that Pete made famous with a bunch of Marshall thrown in for good measure! So, guitars.
only played one of my Strats and one of my Les Pauls today. Through the JTM, I loved the LP as expected, didn't love the Strat with cleaner tones, but LOVED the Strat all gained up. But another new discovery today, was how much the 18W loved the Strat! I had been concentrating primarily on the LP with the 18 up to this point, but today spent more time with the Strat, and it's GREAT throughout the whole range of gain with the 18W.

One thing of note about the JTM through different cabs - I liked it a lot through the Marshall cab with 75's, but I preferred it with the Fanes and Greens. However, I think I liked it best through the Celestion Classic Lead 80. VERY rock and roll. This speaker is to the JTM, like the 75's are to the Trinity 18, and the V30's/TT Alnico are to the TC-15. I'm definitely on the hunt now for an empty 1960 so I can fill it with Classic Lead 80's. And just so we're clear, the 1960 with 75's is still my fave with the 18W. And also for the record, I think your 2x12 Bomb is a GREAT sounding cab - it's got the airiness of the Mesa. As a cab, I think I prefer it to my Orange 2x12 (regardless of speaker type).

www.slyfichapel.com

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Jun 19, 2008 4:36 pm 
Expert
Expert

This looks so awesome Coco. And now it's sold, cry. Looks like the social security disability will come thru soon. (Be able to finally afford what I owe you (yea!)) Anyway, as I stated a while ago We need your JTM45 Because you make the best amps.
This has to be your next kit. Please :D :D
If you do this kit, do the same thing as the Deluxe. Include the trannies and tubes. Makes a complete kit. Little more expensive, but it's all there.
Think about it.
Cheers!

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Jun 19, 2008 7:59 pm 
Novice
Novice

id sure be in for one of those in full kit form...that is, when money start to love me again.....wich dont happen very often :roll:

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Jun 19, 2008 8:44 pm 
Experienced
Experienced

It's a phenomenal amp guys. I think everyone that hears it will want one! My assistant engineer played guitar for me today while we were recording some clips for the site, and he wants one!! :D And just so we're clear, this particular head (Stephen's prototype) isn't sold - what I meant was "SOLD! I'm going to have Stephen build me one!" Mine HAS to be in purple tolex, so it's possible that this one could be up for grabs... :wink:

www.slyfichapel.com

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Jun 20, 2008 12:16 am 
Expert
Expert

Coco always keeps number 1 :D Which he should. But, a Trinity-45 will sell, because it's :kool: and oh so fine, because it's a (everyone now) TRINITY. :wink: :happydance:
Those KT-66 look awesome too.
How to hype the boss, eh. :lol:
Oh, that's what I owe Coco for, my head for the TC. And yes it's also in purple :shock: :lol:

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Jun 20, 2008 8:31 am 
Holy Ghost
Holy Ghost

bgroup,

glad you're liking the 45. lbet did too. specially made heyboer OT in that one. it can handle KT66s to EL34s.

45 kits may be possible if enough interest. the biggest challenge in getting any project going is the iron.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Jun 20, 2008 10:19 am 
Experienced
Experienced

Beautiful wiring job Stephen, and I don't hand those out very often!

I started this build-it-myself quest looking at a 45 before realizing I won't be touring with Boston anytime soon (since they only recruit from Home Depot these days apparently. Who knew??). Clean headroom comes with a very loud price! There are great sites out there that are as equally dedicated to the 45 as we all are to the 18. They seem to be a very traditional bunch however, and are all striving to relive the original magic as accurately as possible. Maybe it's because they have so many more original 45's to dissect and analyze. We would never dissect an original 18, would we??!!

Joe G

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Jun 20, 2008 12:32 pm 
Novice
Novice

if the iron can do el-34 too, would it be possible for it to handle something like a 2204 circuitry or 1987x ?
...that could expand possibilities ;-)

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Jun 20, 2008 5:27 pm 
Holy Ghost
Holy Ghost

Yes for sure, although it was designed for the JTM sound, it would work fine in those applications.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sun Jun 22, 2008 3:41 pm 
Friend
Friend

coco wrote:
bgroup,

glad you're liking the 45. lbet did too. specially made heyboer OT in that one. it can handle KT66s to EL34s.

45 kits may be possible if enough interest. the biggest challenge in getting any project going is the iron.

Count me in. I just finished my Tweed Deluxe kit and after a couple of band practices and plenty of home playing, it's pushing my Dr.Z m@z Jr. to the side for low wattage combo situations.

I'm just typing up the ad right now to sell it. In fact if you wanted to trade me for it... :wink:

Still, I need something with louder cleans than either of those and that's a head not a combo. What I'm saying is that I want a kit and will get the cash together if you decide to go.

If it is easy to adapt to EL-34s and an early 50w Plexi style amp, even better.

How much are you charging for one of your JTM45 builds?