trinityamps.com

Trinity Amps Guitar Amp Forum
It is currently Wed Jul 17, 2024 4:24 am

All times are UTC - 5 hours [ DST ]

Post subject: TC-15 chassis finished
PostPosted: Thu Jul 17, 2008 2:26 pm 
Novice
Novice

I hope this is the place to put the link to pics of my recently finished chassis. Not sure I'm doing this correctly, but here is the URL: http://www.putfile.com/album/195794

Everything worked properly on first power up - always a huge surprise to me! This is Trinity project number 3, preceded by two Deluxes (one sold).

A great sounding amp, thanks Coco for a superb design and good instructions.

Now, to find some time away from the job and kids to actually play it!

Jim[url][/url]

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Jul 18, 2008 7:01 pm 
Expert
Expert

Really nice build. How's the clean? Have you spared some time for yourself to play? Weekends here :shock: :D :lol:
Sorry I love the emoticons :bugeye: :rol :lol: :D . Funny is good.
Anyway, How about some clips? Love to here you jam!
Later

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sat Jul 19, 2008 8:06 pm 
Holy Ghost
Holy Ghost

Congrats on the build.

It will take a while to get tuned in to the Treble/Bass controls but you will & when you do, there will be all sorts of sounds you didnt think possible.

What rectifier did you use?

Have fun!! Post up some clips some day please!

Cheers! :thumbsup:

Post subject: some TC-15 afterthoughts
PostPosted: Sun Jul 20, 2008 2:58 pm 
Novice
Novice

Thanks for the kind words, Coco and JAC. It was fun building it, but if I do this sort of thing again I am going to look for some kind of magnification device - to see the small detail for for soldering, especially at the preamp tube pins. Anyone use some kind of rig for that? Or is it only me with my aging eyes?

The cleans are really superb. Quintessential Vox. I really like the EF86 channel best so far, but have only begun to experiment with channel 2 and the various combination of sounds available with the high cut and 5k/8k output switch.

I have not tried any rectifier so far beyond the JJ I first bought for this amp. The prices for NOS 5AR4s are deterring so far. I did sub for my preamp tubes (12AX7), but haven't noticed any striking improvements upgrading from JJs to NOS GEs or RCAs, or Mullard remakes. Also subbed some NOS RCA EL84s, but again didn't think it improved the amp noticeably over the JJs. I am concluding that JJ makes some really good tubes (have liked them in my Deluxe, TC-15, and original Boogie Mk I). I may try the NOS again when I have more time to experiment with the controls. My EF86 is an Amperex Bugle Boy, which sounds fantastic - I see no reason to change that one.

A really sweet combination is to play this amp together with my Trinity Deluxe, using an ABY switch. The Deluxe's rich, deep, and rounder sounds balance well the great high end and shimmer of the TC-15. Though it is also fun to alternate between the amps.

I am not thus far finding my overdrive tube pedal (Twin Tube) to sound as good with the TC-15 as with my Deluxe. Quite possibly because I haven't had time yet to dial in the best settings. The TC-15 is wonderful all by itself, however, and lately I am playing more clean than dirty. I've only tried the TC-15 so far with a Tubby Alnico 12 and an old Altec 418-8H. Sounds very good with both.

I hope to post some clips soon. Once I get over my hesitation at entering the lists with you guys whose fingers are more nimble than mine!

Regards to all,
Jim

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sun Jul 20, 2008 4:02 pm 
Experienced
Experienced

Great job HOTS!

Quote:
I am going to look for some kind of magnification device - to see the small detail for for soldering, especially at the preamp tube pins. Anyone use some kind of rig for that?

At work I use a microscope at 10x for everything with a couple of quartz fiber lights... Talk about anal! The spec says 4x max and only for "referee" purposes for the inspectors. Generally 2x mag is fine for most everything. At home I have a large magnifying lense on this great swivel stand with a built-in light. (I hate it but it's better than nothing) The guys at work swear by those crank-onto-your-head jewelers magnifying glasses with the extra swivel down magnifying lenses for even more mag if needed. I can post a link to it if anyone needs it.

Joe G

Last edited by joeyvelour on Sun Jul 20, 2008 7:38 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sun Jul 20, 2008 4:26 pm 
Holy Ghost
Holy Ghost

Don't change that Bugle Boy! Nice to hear that "cleans are really superb". They should be.

Quote:
Everything worked properly on first power up - always a huge surprise to me!

That's Music to my ears.
Quote:
This is Trinity project number 3

That too!!

Thanks & you're welcome!

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Jul 21, 2008 6:44 am 
Expert
Expert

Ii have the magnifying lenses with the built in light also. My light though is fluorescent and I really like it (don't know if you have an incandescent light , Joe, which suck, I use to have 1 and gave it away). That pesky contour switch was built with that :shock: :lol: :lol: I bought mine through parts express.
Here's the link, although I'll bet you could find 1 cheaper looking around.
Later

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Jul 21, 2008 7:33 am 
Experienced
Experienced

No, it's fluorescent. I think I've just gotten really spoiled by the stereo microscope and lighting at work. I have a hard time focusing through a magnifying lense now. I'd wear a jeweler's "helmet", but they make a real mess of my executive hair!

Joe G

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Jul 21, 2008 8:40 am 
Expert
Expert

oops :roll: here's the link:
http://www.partsexpress.com/pe/showdetl ... er=350-020

Quote:
the stereo microscope and lighting

Some people have all the toys :lol: :lol:

Quote:
my executive hair!