trinityamps.com

Trinity Amps Guitar Amp Forum
It is currently Tue Jul 16, 2024 12:38 pm

All times are UTC - 5 hours [ DST ]

Post subject: Another TC-15 born
PostPosted: Mon Aug 04, 2008 11:37 am 
Friend
Friend

I completed my TC-15 (head cab) build and she fired right up.

I shall have pics and sound files coming shortly.

I still need to spend some time learning the amp and getting some hours logged before I feel comfortable with my opinions.

I am currently using JJ rectifier, EL84s, EF806 and PI tube. For the non-EF86 side, I am using a NOS RCA and an EH 12ax7.

As some preliminary comments,
Using a Celestion Blue, the sound of each channel is detailed and rich. However, when the amp is cranked, the tone could get a bit muddy in the lows and piercing in the highs. I really had to work the tone controls to dial the sound in.

Switching to a Red Fang, the sound of the amp and its dynamics changed a bit. The Red Fang was much more forgiving to the EQ settings.

For my style of playing (country/blues), the Red Fang was a nice match. Even when dimed, the low end was defined and not muddy. The highs were clear without being piercing. The mids, esp. on the EF86 side were articulate and aggressive. Overall, the sound was brighter than the Blue, but in a good way.

I have several more speakers to audition, so stay tuned...

Best regards
Tom

btw, this amp is loud.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Aug 04, 2008 1:35 pm 
Holy Ghost
Holy Ghost

Good to hear it's working fine. Try out the Cut control. If it' not enough for you, you can double up the size of the cut cap.

Check the thread on using a little less gain on Channel 2 12AX7 by replacing one of them with 5751.

viewtopic.php?t=1283&highlight=

You can also switch in/out the 25uf cathode cap on V2.

The good news its that it's working and now you get to play with it!!

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Aug 04, 2008 3:44 pm 
Friend
Friend

Stephen:

Thanks for the tips.

Yup, I am glad to get the amp up and running. This kit was fun and easy to build.

As for your suggestions, I am not ready to tweak the amp just yet. The amp sounds great. In my experience, peaky treble and tubby/muddy bass are not uncommon to the Celestion Blue when pushed hard, regardless of amp.

Moreover, the Red Fang seemed to react really well to the amp, my tele and my playing style. Even when the amp was dimed, I had a very usable range of treble, bass and cut to work with when driving the RF on channel 2.

So, before I fire up the soldering iron, I want more time to get to know the amp and to audition more speakers.

Tom

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Aug 04, 2008 5:45 pm 
Holy Ghost
Holy Ghost

Quote:
before I fire up the soldering iron, I want more time to get to know the amp and to audition more speakers.

Best advice!!