trinityamps.com

Trinity Amps Guitar Amp Forum
It is currently Tue Jul 16, 2024 11:41 am

All times are UTC - 5 hours [ DST ]

PostPosted: Tue Aug 05, 2008 7:58 pm 
Friend
Friend

TC 15 Newbie from Portland Oregon
I have been lurking on the TC15 forum for the past month and received my TC15 amp kit about two weeks ago. Wow nice Kit, I will have most of it wired up by the end of the day. The hardest part was making sense of the changes of resisters that were sent in the kit from color layout and the pictures of some of you guys build on the forum, plus its hard for an old fart to read the small colored lines on some of the resisters. I have an amp repair shop ½ block down the street from my apartment and the guy there will help me check it out and walk me through the start up
I have to thank all of you who have given your time and energy to helping with photo of your build and information on how to build; it has been of great help to me in this process.
I do have some questions to ask.
1. What is the name of the non-electric heat sink past for the VMR MOSFET, I didn’t get any with the build and I’m sure I can get it locally.
2. What is the gray thin pad under the MOSFET, is it the mica insulator?
3. I put the Crunch-Munch switch on the front of my TC15 head above and between the cut and the treble switch, any problems with that location change?
4. I would like to change the stand by toggle switch to a 1ma Electrical Linear pots 1/2w @500 volts and hook up the VMR to it so I can turn on and off the stand-by and uses the VMR with one switch-pot from the front of my amp, will that work? If not can I change the stand by toggle switch to the back of the amp and put the 1ma VMR pot on the front in place of the stand by switch?
5. One last question, the shielded cable form V2 and the board, does the shield go the ground on the volume pots?
Again thank you all for all your help
Dave

PostPosted: Tue Aug 05, 2008 9:00 pm 
Holy Ghost
Holy Ghost

Good luck with your TC-15 build!!

1. What is the name of the non-electric heat sink past for the VMR MOSFET, I didn’t get any with the build and I’m sure I can get it locally.

You don't need any silicone grease, use the grey pad supplied to insulate the MOSFET from the chassis.

2. What is the gray thin pad under the MOSFET, is it the mica insulator?

see above

3. I put the Crunch-Munch switch on the front of my TC15 head above and between the cut and the treble switch, any problems with that location change?

No, I wouldn't think so. [but you'll spoil that beautiful faceplate :( ]

4. I would like to change the stand by toggle switch to a 1ma Electrical Linear pots 1/2w @500 volts and hook up the VMR to it so I can turn on and off the stand-by and uses the VMR with one switch-pot from the front of my amp, will that work? If not can I change the stand by toggle switch to the back of the amp and put the 1ma VMR pot on the front in place of the stand by switch?

You can do that. We have done something similar with the power switch. Standby on rear will work as well. Good idea.

5. One last question, the shielded cable form V2 and the board, does the shield go the ground on the volume pots?

Only the shield goes to ground and at the Pot end ONLY.

PostPosted: Tue Aug 05, 2008 10:30 pm 
Friend
Friend

Thank you Stephen
The crunch much switch on the front looks good just like it was meant to be there, I used a Dremel tool and a small bit and drilled slowly, the face plate materiel took it well, then used a drill and bit to size. Building this amp was very cathartic for this old fart and I’m learning a lot.
Thank you so much Stephen
Now how much is Marshal 18w Plexs, Ha Ha, maybe September after I get this one going
Dave

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Aug 06, 2008 7:20 am 
Holy Ghost
Holy Ghost

BTW, grey sil-pad compliments of joeyvelour

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Aug 06, 2008 10:04 am 
Experienced
Experienced

Glad to help. I added a quick how-to note in the VRM thread in "Resources" as well.

Joe G

Post subject: Gray pad
PostPosted: Thu Aug 07, 2008 3:03 pm 
Friend
Friend

Thank you Joe G for the Gray pad under VMR and all your imfo
Dave