trinityamps.com

Trinity Amps Guitar Amp Forum
It is currently Wed Jul 17, 2024 8:36 am

All times are UTC - 5 hours [ DST ]

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 240 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 7, 8, 9, 10, 11, 12  Next
 Post subject: triwatt kit...
PostPosted: Wed Jan 07, 2009 8:18 am 
Friend
Friend

You'll have a kit purchase from me !!!
I even got a cab loaded in anticipation already.
woooohooooo.....wooo hooo hoooo.......the Eagles ??
take it easy.
hahahaa....

What i should mention that i like a lot about this thread, and the information it gives, is that it has become well illustrated how the folks working on and design/engineering this amp have gone out to make this the best tonal plate of sound as they can possible.

I'm interested in what you hear/think about the transformer comparisons you are doing, when that time in the future is available.
Why does sound/affect the way it does and so on......
really neat things going on here.

I want to ask, since i do not know, about fixed bias in this amp, or in general. Can you just put in any 6V6 tube (TRIWATT), or do some tubes of the same type run at a different current so you must "calibrate" them, or only put in ones with the appropriate draw ??

That may have not made any sense what i just tried to ask, put i typed it already !!!
: )

good morning freezing rain...
good morning.

Post subject: Re: triwatt kit...
PostPosted: Wed Jan 07, 2009 10:22 am 
Expert
Expert

amp boy wrote:
You'll have a kit purchase from me !!!
I even got a cab loaded in anticipation already.
woooohooooo.....wooo hooo hoooo.......the Eagles ??
take it easy.
hahahaa....

What i should mention that i like a lot about this thread, and the information it gives, is that it has become well illustrated how the folks working on and design/engineering this amp have gone out to make this the best tonal plate of sound as they can possible.

I'm interested in what you hear/think about the transformer comparisons you are doing, when that time in the future is available.
Why does sound/affect the way it does and so on......
really neat things going on here.

I want to ask, since i do not know, about fixed bias in this amp, or in general. Can you just put in any 6V6 tube (TRIWATT), or do some tubes of the same type run at a different current so you must "calibrate" them, or only put in ones with the appropriate draw ??

That may have not made any sense what i just tried to ask, put i typed it already !!!

good morning freezing rain...
good morning.

Any good set of 6V6 will work. Each brand and even tubes in the same brand differ from each other. Tubes aren't all created equal, it's part of the old school technology. So this means depending on the tubes you'll have to bias slightly differently. Obviously all sound different too...

Set your grid voltage as negative as you can then install tubes and bias.

I imagine the Triwatt runs it 6V6s at around 20-25ish mA.

Snowing now :D Freezing rain later apparently :cry:

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Jan 09, 2009 12:08 am 
Expert
Expert

We're running the JJs at around 20 to 22mA at the moment, at 440V. So when using rare old NOS tubes, you just need to be careful that they'll be OK for 440V, which many 6V6s are. JJ 6V6s have excellent definition, so I think they work very well with the Hiwatt vibe.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sun Jan 11, 2009 3:55 pm 
Experienced
Experienced

OK, so I'll be the first to chime in on the tone test at Stephen's yesterday... It was cool to hear the Triwatt in a completely different context - Stephen's shop - which is much smaller than my studio. I anticipated that my perspective on the amp might have changed in a different space, but it didn't. I feel my first impression of the amp was accurate. It sounded exactly how I remembered. :D IMO, save for the iron issue, this amp is ready to go - the voicing is PERFECT. :)

Oh, and just to put the bedroom volume issue to rest, we tried the "magic settings" (starve the first gain stage, and crank up the overdrive stage) with the MV WAAAAY down - like around 7 or 8 o' clock. It sounded HUGE, and we could have probably whispered to each other over top of it without struggling to hear each other! So, to put this to rest once and for all, it sounds big quiet, it sounds big loud... 8) :D

Lawrence brought some different pedals and they all worked well - but I still preferred the pedals that were voiced more modern, the low-mids were just a little less murky. And Phil brought his own home-brew boost pedal which was AMAZING - I love the Triwatt with a boost. I think I would use it this way often...

Again, it took all the guitars well. My PRS Mira was stellar again (OK, so I'm a bit biased for my new guitar!! :roll:) but my favourite guitar of the day was Lawrence's Tele, that apparently started life as an Esquire! Very cool - sounded like a Thinline Tele with single coils to me...

And Stephen had one of his cabs loaded with 2 TTA's. This is a great match for the Triwatt, although I can imagine that some would prefer a darker, less efficient speaker...

Anyway, Triwatt's a KILLER boys and girls - really, REALLY good. For those that want one, I'd get your name in there 'cause IMO, there's going to be a long lineup for this one!! ;)

www.slyfichapel.com

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sun Jan 11, 2009 7:31 pm 
Holy Ghost
Holy Ghost

Some first clips over at viewtopic.php?t=1473

PostPosted: Fri Jan 16, 2009 8:40 pm 

Hey Everybody,
I finally made it onto the boards!! Well, I was here in photos...

Anyways, I wanted to weigh in with my take on the TRIWATT. I have played guitar for 20 years and have been tinkering and modding for close to 15 or so... I am not as much of an amp-phile as Brent is, but I am learning under his wise tutelage... And he did introduce to the Wonderful World of Trinity!!

So I was lucky enough to be a fly speck on the wall at the initial TRIWATT test at Slyfi Chapel with Brent and Phil and Stephen. It took me a while to get past the WOW! factor. It is a very lush, rich sounding amp, that handled single coil pickups and humbuckers equally well. I am always impressed when an amp can sound great with any kind of guitar plugged in to it. It had very chimey cleans and lots of growl when it kicked up. At the end of the day, I played a few chordal pieces that rang out and seemed to swell and feedback very musically. All around I was extremely impressed and consider myself lucky to have been invited. I wanted to say it was cool to meet Stephen and Phil and to hear them 'talk shop' about the amp was enlightening indeed.

Because I am an amateur builder and a guitar-o-phile, I am going to start out with an easier build, but I know a TRIWATT will definitely be in my future.

So Thanks to Steohen and Phil for letting me play and Thanks to Brent for hooking me up on the inside track!!!

Rob

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sat Jan 17, 2009 12:01 am 
Expert
Expert

Hey Rob it was a real pleasure meeting you, and listening to/watching you play! And thanks for your kind words. I think we really had some synergy going that day between us all, with your playing and Brent's "orchestration" of the amp settings and speakers. He came up with some sounds I never knew the amp had. :shock: Personally, I found it a blast. Hang around here, and you're in for some amp fun - or maybe I should have said addiction! :lol:

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sat Jan 17, 2009 1:39 am 
Experienced
Experienced

Yeah Rob, welcome my friend!! Awesome to have you that day... and hopefully we can twist your arm to come and play some clips for us when the new iron arrives!!!

www.slyfichapel.com

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sat Jan 17, 2009 11:55 am 

Zaphod, I am highly susceptible to GAS so I suspect I am already addicted!!!

Hey Brent,
WARNING!!! Minimal twisting required... Just let me know when...

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sat Jan 17, 2009 11:57 am 
Holy Ghost
Holy Ghost

bgroup wrote:
Yeah Rob, welcome my friend!! Awesome to have you that day... and hopefully we can twist your arm to come and play some clips for us when the new iron arrives!!!

New Iron Has Arrived!!! Time to get down to business.

viewtopic.php?p=12853#12853

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Jan 19, 2009 11:48 pm 
Friend
Friend

my contribution to the excitement.
i stumbled across this today.
dig the dolly camera shot around the room.......to the hiwatt on the chair !!!
amazing.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=8nuzdzSJ ... ef=profile

I am going to be so into building the Triwatt.
focused.

i think this is going to be something real.
rock'n roll.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Jan 20, 2009 12:02 am 
Holy Ghost
Holy Ghost

Yes, "and the music's all right!"

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Jan 20, 2009 11:41 pm 
Expert
Expert

I've been playing the amp with the new transformers installed. It sounds GREAT with these big hefty transformers. I've been testing it with my vintage G12H-30 cab, and the tone is very clear and full, with all the chimey cleans and saturated overdrive you could ever want. There is a clarity and evenness in the highs now that I really like. Totally Hiwatt. :D

PS: I also posted this in the thread about the new transformers, for completeness

PostPosted: Fri Jan 23, 2009 2:23 pm 
Expert
Expert

amp boy wrote:
....just a thought i have been having when it comes to amps.
I think i'm just becoming a KT66 nut. I got my 1st JTM45, and it's a keeper for me. ... So i'm just ranting, i know, it's this feeling i got about....yeah if the 6V6's work...awesome, but how/or if a larger bottle would compliment ?? T's...EL's....oh my or oh no ??

Hey, guess what. The big n' beefy new transformers we've been testing, seem to work real nice with KT66s! :D We're still running at similar voltage to the 6V6s, so we only get up to around 35W max out of them, but that's fine. You have to multiply power output by 10 for sound to be twice as loud. So while they're only a tad louder than the 6V6s, the sound has a little more clean headroom, with better clarity and definition. Both the 6V6s and KT66s have their charms, and think it's going to drive some folks nuts deciding which they like best. :lol:

PostPosted: Fri Jan 23, 2009 2:42 pm 
Experienced
Experienced

zaphod wrote:
[the 6V6s and KT66s have their charms, and think it's going to drive some folks nuts deciding which they like best. :lol:

With individual bias...hows about 1 of each!?? :hmmm:
Stew

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Jan 23, 2009 3:19 pm 
Expert
Expert

IMO they're too dissimilar. The KT66s draw about twice the current of the 6V6s. I doubt it would sound too good.

PostPosted: Fri Jan 23, 2009 5:00 pm 
Experienced
Experienced

With all the talk of 6V6s & KT66s, the question is can EL34s be used with the new transformers? I have a few sets of late 80s/early 90s Tesla EL34 tubes that need an amp.

PostPosted: Fri Jan 23, 2009 6:19 pm 
Friend
Friend

zaphod wrote:
amp boy wrote:
....just a thought i have been having when it comes to amps.
I think i'm just becoming a KT66 nut. I got my 1st JTM45, and it's a keeper for me. ... So i'm just ranting, i know, it's this feeling i got about....yeah if the 6V6's work...awesome, but how/or if a larger bottle would compliment ?? T's...EL's....oh my or oh no ??

Hey, guess what. The big n' beefy new transformers we've been testing, seem to work real nice with KT66s! :D We're still running at similar voltage to the 6V6s, so we only get up to around 35W max out of them, but that's fine. You have to multiply power output by 10 for sound to be twice as loud. So while they're only a tad louder than the 6V6s, the sound has a little more clean headroom, with better clarity and definition. Both the 6V6s and KT66s have their charms, and think it's going to drive some folks nuts deciding which they like best. :lol:

So yer say'n i can use a pair of 6V6's or KT66's !!!!!!!!!
oh tube glory can this be true ??

:D :D :D

PostPosted: Fri Jan 23, 2009 7:55 pm 
Expert
Expert

amp boy wrote:
So yer say'n i can use a pair of 6V6's or KT66's !!!!!!!!!
oh tube glory can this be true ??

:D :D :D

You better believe it! :D

ROB_PRICE wrote:
With all the talk of 6V6s & KT66s, the question is can EL34s be used with the new transformers? I have a few sets of late 80s/early 90s Tesla EL34 tubes that need an amp.

The OT primary impedance we use for 6V6s and KT66s is 8k, while 4k is closer to what you would use with EL34s. So in theory you could run EL34s, if you plugged an 8 ohm speaker into the 16 ohm output or a 4 ohm speaker into the 8 ohm output of the amp. You would probably also need to change the value of one of the resistors in the bias circuit. So yes, it should be possible. You would probably be able to squeeze out around 40W

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Jan 23, 2009 9:47 pm 
Experienced
Experienced

So Phil, am I getting this thing tomorrow with 6V6's or KT66's?? Have we revisited which is the "stock" tube? :o :?:

www.slyfichapel.com

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 240 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 7, 8, 9, 10, 11, 12  Next